The Mystery of Wolves

Started by The Skarzs, February 22, 2018, 11:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Grey Coincidence

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 26, 2019, 04:56:35 PM
Giant Amazon river otter?

See, it's hard to really put a size on creatures when there really is no hard visual of how Jacques wanted them, akin to the maps. (Contrast that with LotR, where we are spoiled by Tolkien actually drawing the maps. . .) But that's kind of the point of the series, to have you use your imagination.

Yup, by my logic they'd be a teeny tiny bit bigger than wolves, so rather gigantic next to a shrew (an alligator wouldn't be bad either- kind of like a dragon)

Official media is also a bit confusing (because not every artist is the same obviously but still, I think there's a stoat called Scummy in Triss who has to hold up Plugg Firetail's tail and the Redwall wiki picture makes him look tiny- shrew-sized. Compare this to Badrang- who would look ridiculous bullying that one one-eared yellow-cloaked fox in Martin the Warrior if he were that small.)
Also wasn't Auma bigger than Matimeo and company? Coz the TV Show makes her just as small which is not what you'd expect from a badger.

Also due to the wonky sizes stairs should be impossible in this world. Are the steps made for mouse-feetpaws? If so how does a badger put their foot on it? Or if it's the inverse, mice climbing a staircase has just earned a whole new meaning (picture of mountain climbers)

That's all a bit off-topic, apologies, let me rectify this by proposing a new kind of discussion. What accent/verbal tics (if any) would the wolves of the Redwall-verse (irrespective of size) have?
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

The Skarzs

I'm not sure if it's entirely off topic; it is a good question. Sizes make a huge difference when trying to make a works where so much variety is supposed to interact.

I would guess the wolves would have a "northern" accent. Maybe Swedish or Scottish, or Greenland-ish.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 27, 2019, 05:39:56 PM
I'm not sure if it's entirely off topic; it is a good question. Sizes make a huge difference when trying to make a works where so much variety is supposed to interact.

I would guess the wolves would have a "northern" accent. Maybe Swedish or Scottish, or Greenland-ish.

Regarding the size differences, that's why I feel people who say mice are human sized are making a rather large mistake, because then you have ridiculous circumstances such as twenty to thirty feet badgers and twelve foot hares.

I personally don't consider a mouse the same size as a human, consider it. Mice are supposed to be small and weak by brave, what does that remind you of? Hobbits and halflings. I consider foxes and hares as human sized, thus mice are around three to four feet and badgers are eight to ten, which while large isn't as ridiculous as Kaijuu sized badgers.

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!