Redwall DnD Experiences

Started by NovaNocturne, April 22, 2017, 05:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NovaNocturne

I'm curious to know if anyone around has had any Redwall Themed DnD campaigns, and any amusing stories to go along with it.

Spoiler
A couple years back, not really in a serious mood of a full and in-depth campaign, I had a dibbun squirrel character by the name of Squishable.

Squishable was a firebrand brat of a squirrel. He and his fellow dibbun crew were kidnapped by a few vermin who were out to random the lot back for treasure from Redwall. They were trussed up on the edge of the vermin camp. A mouse babe was able to bite through the ropes and help free the others. While a mole decided it would be best to try the stealth method for escape, Squishable was far from the sneaky type. He grabbed a flagon of grog from the vermin's cart and threw it into the bonfire in the middle of the camp. The resulting fireball killed one of the vermin and send most of them packing.

Then things got a little ridiculous. Our DM was a little bit of a loose cannon with the rules and rolls.

The dibbun crew then tried to escape across a nearby stream, and when one of them fell in, a pike was ready to pounce. Squishable didn't hesitate to jump into the water and HE THEN SUCKERPUNCHED THE PIKE THROUGH THE ROOF OF ITS MOUTH. He killed the fish with one strike, was able to pull it up onto the bank, then tore it's skull out of the body to wear like a helmet. by this time, some of the vermin had reconstituted themselves, and had come back around. Squishable made short work of scaring them off again with his new bloody costume. The dibbuns were able to make their way back to the abbey, Squishable leading the way proudly.

After this point, the dubbins became NPCs as they were meant to be just a test round for getting a sense of the game. Which was why the DM didn't care so much to limit the freaking strength of child characters.

We switched over to our actual characters at this point. I was playing a sparra by the name of Larkspur. She was a feisty and oblivious character. Larkspur was currently at Redwall, and making a general mess of things, decorating the Great Hall with random fruit and cutlery, knocking out one of the Abbey maidens by whacking her upside the head, dragging the dubbins out of their beds, and other nonsense. My husband was playing a great eagle, who was at the time at Salamandastron with a crew of hares and the badger character someone else was playing. Upon vermin invasion the group at Salamandastron had to flee to Redwall, with a vermin horde on their trail.

At the same time, Larkspur and the other people's main characters had each had a vision of Martin, advising them they needed to find the sword of Martin. They all awoke and started their quest, and somehow Squishable got involved and dragged down into the catacombs under the Abbey, where they accidentally released a giant adder that had been trapped beneathe the abbey, subsisting on spiders the whole time. Only after letting the giant snake free did they realize, they had completely misinterpreted where Martin's sword was supposed to be. Now it was a race to see who would be the first to find it, as they would be the next great warrior of Redwall.

And guess who freaking got to the sword first? SQUISHABLE. That cursed little pike-skull-helmetted wretch, was garbed in way oversized mouse armor, and handed the sword the the flibbing abbey warrior. Like they handed it to him like it was a candied chestnut. Welp. OK THEN.

By the time we had bestowed this great power on a toddler with questionable mental stability, the group from Salamandastron had arrived at the gates, where the horde on their trail had decided it was best to try and continue attacking them within range of the abbey. Oh no you do not. That Salamandastron crew was holding its own, but there was no way Redwall wouldn't leap to their aid of course!

My husband's eagle character was a juggernaut. He had arrows pinned into his body from all angles, but he kept fighting. In a last stitch effort for instill fear into the rats around him, he grabbed one, crushed the life from it and swallowed it in one gulp. At the same time my character Larkspur put Squishable on her back and dove down from the ramparts to aid the Salamandastron crew. She and her mounted child warrior swooped into the battle, and to this day I bless my 20D for what it did next.

I rolled a series of nat 20s that defied all statistics. Larkspur and Squishable simultaneously decapitated and tore the sub-leader of the small horde into half at his belly. With their commanding officer brutalized, and a mass of Redwall reinforcements, the rest of the foreguard scattered.
[close]

It was a glorious, albiet morally-questionable first experience to DnD for me. I would love to hear your crazy Redwall DnD stories! Please comment!

Wylder Treejumper

That is amazing. I do play D&D (actually I'm heading off to a game in just a bit), but I've never had the time to do a conversion on the rules. I've started before, even mapped out a basic Redwall campaign, but never quite finished. How did you guys convert the race rules? Those were always what got me: trying to make races balanced, not overpowered.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

I have always wanted to play D&D but I don't grasp the rules (and nobody's patient enough to guide me).

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Ashleg on April 22, 2017, 06:28:16 PM
I have always wanted to play D&D but I don't grasp the rules (and nobody's patient enough to guide me).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

NovaNocturne

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on April 22, 2017, 06:25:29 PM
That is amazing. I do play D&D (actually I'm heading off to a game in just a bit), but I've never had the time to do a conversion on the rules. I've started before, even mapped out a basic Redwall campaign, but never quite finished. How did you guys convert the race rules? Those were always what got me: trying to make races balanced, not overpowered.
I'm afraid it was my first ever experience with DnD so I had no idea how they did the race conversions. I might be able to grab the crew and see what they can say about it, if you care enough to find out? I think we even had some links. This was one of them I believe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?182689-Redwall-Project-%28Now-with-100-more-badgers!%29

Quote from: Ashleg on April 22, 2017, 06:28:16 PM

Same. Haha, I'm afraid this was my one and only DnD campaign. I want to do more so badly because it's so fun and ridiculous.

alexandre

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on April 22, 2017, 06:25:29 PM

I don't know much about D&D and its races so correct me if this idea doesn't make sense, but what about a Redwall themed D&D where the animals were replaced by normal D&D races, The creatures living in Redwall could be Humans and/or Halflings, the Hares and their badger lord could be dwarves, Guosim could be half orcs, The painted ones could be wood elves(I dunno much about wood elves so I dunno if that works) Regular vermin could be orcs.

I'm very interested in Dungeons and Dragons, my starter set thingy is on the way and my sister and I are going to try and learn it together.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

IronBoomer

Honestly, we might want to use the Cypher/Numenera system for this sort of thing.
It's a heck of a lot simpler than mainstream DnD and easier to grasp for newbies just getting into tabletop, and it allows at lot more rapid pace of storytelling and far less mathmatics.
Twitter: @IronBoomerSTL
Telegram: @IronBoomerSTL

Rispoli

DnD + Redwall? Where do I sign up? That would be amazing.

DelenatheWanderer

Disney. Brian Jacques. J.R.R. Tolkien. C.S. Lewis. Toby Fox. A.A.Milne. And more...

Ashleg

Dungeons and Dragons is a tabletop roleplaying game where one creates a character and goes on adventures, per se.

That is the normal version of it.

Sometimes people take it a step further and that is LARP, live action roleplaying, which is...I mean, don't judge me, but both sound fun except for the fact that most groups that do DND and LARP don't want young kids/teenagers in it.

So unless I find some nerdy friends my own age I need to wait.

Captain Tammo

Expanding off of what Ashleg said, Dungeons and Dragons involves creating a set of stats or key characteristics for your character (depending on who you play with, there may or may not be limitations to exactly what you can make your character capable of). Ideally, you play with a group of friends and one person, the "dungeon master" makes sure everyone follows the rules and is, more or less, the story teller / adventure organizer.

Your characters go off on an adventure or do something. There are bad guys to be fought along the way and challenges to overcome. To find out if your character can do something successfully, you usually roll a set of dice and compare the results back to what you have on your character stats.

Since the game is all very abstract, some people will make a map and use markers to show where people are. You can also give the game different themes, like put the game in the star wars universe, lord of the rings universe, the future, or in the case of this topic, the totally amazing idea of putting this all in Redwall!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior