News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

[CRAFT] "Published" a book!!!

Started by Captain Tammo, December 30, 2014, 05:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

I've done something with my fanfictions that I want to show you guys. So after writing this story, I used a couple of websites, contacted some artists on the forum and a few clicks later, I very cheaply published my own fanfiction!!!!

You can read Part I here and part II here. They both seem to be getting pretty awesome feedback so far, let me know what you think!

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lady Ashenwyte

Awesome!  :) Are the books for sale? I would most definitely buy them if they were for sale.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Delthion

Wow! Awesome! Are they available to the public? And if they are how did you publish them? I mean in more detail. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Jetthebinturong

Awesome but I'm not entirely sure that publishing fanfiction is legal
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

If it's for personal use, or for friends, I don't imagine anyone would make too much of a fuss about it. If you sell it for profit, that's something else -- there was some lady attempting to sell Star Wars fan fiction that got busted.

@Tammo: The book looks great. How's it feel to have it in your hands?
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

I used TheBookPatch.com to publish the book. What you do is write your document using their online writing tools (you can save stuff to the site under your account), or you can simply upload a PDF file of your document. What you then do is specify what kind of binding you'd like, how many pages the book is, if you want color images on the inside, etc. Once that is done, you have the option of uploading a book cover for it! I made this cover myself (with the images courtesy of forum artists Osu and Leatho Shellhound) by simply pasting some images on a Long Patrol cover I took from google images.

TheBookPatch.com does give an option to put your book on their online store, but I did not feel like it would be moral (or legal) to benefit off of a series that somebody else wrote, you know?

Actually holding the book, which in the end came out to a whopping +400 pages after formatting the story to the smaller margins from 8-1/2" X  11", feels amazing! It came out exactly like a published paperback book! I think that being able to feel the actual weight of my own fanfiction in my hands is 100 times more satisfying than looking at it on a computer.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Captain Tammo on December 31, 2014, 05:09:33 AM

TheBookPatch.com does give an option to put your book on their online store, but I did not feel like it would be moral (or legal) to benefit off of a series that somebody else wrote, you know?

Oh, I prefer to read books in real life rather than reading them online. :)
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Captain Tammo

Oooh no they're books to order, not eBooks. I probably should have mentioned that ;)

Skyblade

This is cool! I love the little introduction on the back cover.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Jukka the Sling

THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! :o I've heard of a similar website before (lulu.com), but I've never done anything with it. But that's just so awesome!!

(How much did it cost?)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Lady Amber

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on January 01, 2015, 09:25:46 PM
THAT IS SO AWESOME!!! :o I've heard of a similar website before (lulu.com), but I've never done anything with it. But that's just so awesome!!

(How much did it cost?)

Thanks guys! I'm very thrilled with the quality that the cover and pages came out in. It literally feels just like a paperback book! As for cost, this book was a tad over 400 pages (around 425) and cost me just about $15.00 for one book. Personally, I'd have paid ten times that amount so I consider it a steal!

Gonff the Mousethief

Amazing!!! I'm so glad to see all of your hard work into one book! I will look into that website for my uncle who has a lot of writings. Good job!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.