News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Gingivere Greeneyes

Started by Sanddunes, September 03, 2017, 09:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanddunes

Pretty sure someone probably made a forum about him. I just want to ask if it's possible he still alive during the time of the outcast of Redwall because I did some research and wildcats lifespan is about the same as a badger maybe more on average. What do you guys think

James Gryphon

That's an interesting idea; it's never mentioned, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been true.
« Subject to editing »

a crumb

It is an interesting idea.
The best way I could think of evaluating it would be Mortspear's family. Ungatt Trunn is the antagonist in Lord Brocktree opposing the book's eponymous character. His brother is dying (I believe while very old?) at the beginning of Mossflower.
According to the Redwall wiki, Brocktree died of old age, and I always assumed he journeyed while young to the mountain.
Then, Boar is Lord at Salamandastron as Verdauga dies. Bella, Boar's daughter, is active in the struggle against Tsarmina, which means (and I never thought this through before, even though it's really cool) Brocktree's grand-daughter is at war with the niece of his own great foe.

That's...not unfavorable to the idea of on-par lifespans of wildcats.

Sanddunes

Quote from: a crumb on September 03, 2017, 10:38:02 PM
It is an interesting idea.
The best way I could think of evaluating it would be Mortspear's family. Ungatt Trunn is the antagonist in Lord Brocktree opposing the book's eponymous character. His brother is dying (I believe while very old?) at the beginning of Mossflower.
According to the Redwall wiki, Brocktree died of old age, and I always assumed he journeyed while young to the mountain.
Then, Boar is Lord at Salamandastron as Verdauga dies. Bella, Boar's daughter, is active in the struggle against Tsarmina, which means (and I never thought this through before, even though it's really cool) Brocktree's grand-daughter is at war with the niece of his own great foe.

That's...not unfavorable to the idea of on-par lifespans of wildcats.

I don't think Brocktree was young because somewhere in the book he said he left his son encharge of Mossflower and you would think Boar would be an adult during that time

a crumb

True. Also there's Stonepaw being quite old to imply Brocktree isn't a young badger.

Conceptually, the impression I always had was that young badgers, generally male, start feeling the call and go questing for the mountain. If Brocktree wasn't that young, though, then Mossflower might be quite a bit closer in time to Lord Brocktree than perhaps generally assumed.

Ashleg

I think it was mentioned that Brocktree was "in his prime". I don't know what age exactly that's supposed to be--but to me it always seemed like late 30s early 40s.

Sanddunes

Like to add something ever notice Julian being the last cat in Mossflower and the ones in High Rhulein don't count because wasn't in Mossflower

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Do you have any theories why that is?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 27, 2017, 02:40:03 AM
Do you have any theories why that is?
[/quote

Personally I don't know because we know they were other cats in Mossflower besides wildcats and plus Julian said he was the last of the Gingivere. So my two theories are

1. They're still around just not in the stories.
2. They left

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

Well, from what I saw the cats in Mossflower were always few in number and solitary by nature. Because of this I think it's possible that they just all died off. I mean, they couldn't have had very good mating prospects in Mossflower. I do think that because of this it's probable that they left, too.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

Good points. Probably went searching for others and left.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

There were never that many to begin with.

I say they did a mix of leaving an' dying.