Scale

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, July 27, 2013, 12:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romsca

Yep, stoats aren't much bigger than weasels!

Quote from: curunen on July 27, 2013, 12:33:16 PM
Mouse - 5ft
Squirrel - <6ft
Mole - <5ft
Hedgehog - 5ft
Otter - >6ft
Shrew - <4ft
Hare - >6ft
Badger - 10ft

I was thinking like that, but also

Rat - 5-5.5 ft
Weasel - 5.25-5.75 ft
Stoat - 5.25-5.75 ft
Ferret - 5.5-6 ft
Pine Marten - 5.75-6.25 ft
Fox - 6-6.5 ft

These would just be averages, though. There would always be exceptions

Maudie

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on July 28, 2013, 03:55:56 PM
Stoats.... are... SMALLER... than rabbits/hares?
  Stoat is killing a rabbit.

That's scary. :o
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

BadgerLordFiredrake

Yea...

if stoats can overpower rabbits/hares like that, the badger lords have no chance....
baby turtle forever

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Buzz_Bumble

As Yoda says: Judge me by my size, do you?

MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller things can kill large animals and man ... just look at viruses.  :)

phoenixfoden

I was told about stoats and weasels taking down rabbits and didint belive it until i reserched it
it would be quite easy to kill the rabbit as you see the stoat in the picture is biting the neck and killing or stoping it from moving so can eat it (i think they mostly drink the blood)

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: phoenixfoden on July 30, 2013, 03:28:36 AM
... is biting the neck and killing or stoping it from moving so can eat it ...

Like most carnivores, they usually aim for the front of the neck to cut the main artery. Biting the back of the neck isn't going to achieve much, although it may calm the prey animal down if it taps into the old reflexes of the mother animal carrying it around as a baby. They usually hunt by going down the burrow and trapping the rabbit in the tunnels.

I reckon that one is just practicing for the Watership Down Grand National races, or has seen The Lone Ranger a few too many times ("Hi ho Fluffy, and away!").  ;)

... (i think they mostly drink the blood)

You're thinking of the Vampire Voles from the Welking Weasels stories.  ;)

MeadowR

That's not a nice pic! :o Weasel's are reallllly small! When I saw a stuffed one at a museum I was surprised at just how teeny they are. Especially after being used to the rather big weasel in The Animals of Farthing Wood (the scale varied a lot in the series!).
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Sailears

Ah, Animals of Farthing Wood... now that was great. Mildly traumatic mind you!

Regarding scale comparisons between species in Redwall, going from shortest to tallest, without numbers, and ignoring a lot of things like pygmy shrews and gerbils, I put:

shrew
mole (very close to mouse)
mouse ~ hedgehog
rat ~ squirrel
ferret ~ weasel ~ stoat ~ fox ~ otter ~ hare (depends on individual characters)
wildcat ~ badger
My ears, how are you, wot!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 30, 2013, 12:24:26 PM
That's not a nice pic! :o Weasel's are reallllly small! When I saw a stuffed one at a museum I was surprised at just how teeny they are. Especially after being used to the rather big weasel in The Animals of Farthing Wood (the scale varied a lot in the series!).

Fortunately zat vaz nae a real Weasel, merely juzt a trick tae make zem zink zat zey 'ad vone. Really it vaz 'appily an' perfectly zafe.
Weasels Rule!!!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

phoenixfoden

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on July 30, 2013, 07:51:25 AM
... is biting the neck and killing or stoping it from moving so can eat it ...

Like most carnivores, they usually aim for the front of the neck to cut the main artery. Biting the back of the neck isn't going to achieve much, although it may calm the prey animal down if it taps into the old reflexes of the mother animal carrying it around as a baby. They usually hunt by going down the burrow and trapping the rabbit in the tunnels.

I reckon that one is just practicing for the Watership Down Grand National races, or has seen The Lone Ranger a few too many times ("Hi ho Fluffy, and away!").  ;)

... (i think they mostly drink the blood)

You're thinking of the Vampire Voles from the Welking Weasels stories.  ;)

yes just reserched it and they do bite the nape of then neck to kill the prey although most rabbits die of shock as the teeth are too short to reach major arteries,they then lap up the blood.
they aslo do a kind of dance that mesmerises the rabbit making it able to jump on its back and bite.
Unlike vampire voles they dont live in coffins and are not lead by a stoat duracula :D