Redwall in Two-Dimensions

Started by SoranMBane, April 03, 2015, 10:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

SoranMBane

Another update on my Kingdom of Malkariss; it's gone through a good bit of renovating lately.

Firstly, I realized that this place was supposed to be located under a big wooded plateau, so I kind of went and built that. I don't know what's wrong with me either. Anyway, here's the new entrance:
Spoiler
[close]
I replaced some of the sandstone that made up most of the structure with other block types (mostly stone slabs and green dungeon brick), and painted the rest grey to make things look more depressing (it took a lot of grey paint):
Spoiler
[close]
Made the living quarters for the Blackrobe Rats look more like actual living quarters:
Spoiler
[close]
Added some hay bedding and chains to the slave quarters:
Spoiler
[close]
And here's the map of the whole thing:
Spoiler
[close]

As always, the full-resolution screens can be found in the Imgur album linked in my first post.

SoranMBane

Alright, Terraria update 1.3 is finally live! And, as I predicted, there is even a small sale going on (the game currently has a -25% discount on both Steam and Good Old Games). (EDIT: The sales are over, it's back to full price at the moment)

So, in light of this long-awaited batch of new content finally being released, I wanted to detail my immediate future plans for the Redwall world:

-Add one more landmark to the world (there's a nice little cave just east of the Abbey and I was planning to build a nice little mole village in there).

-Finish up some terraforming. It's pretty mind-numbing work without resorting to things like TEdit, so I've been neglecting this. :P

-Update the existing structures with any appropriate items added by 1.3. Chances are good that a lot of stuff is going to have to be imported in from another world.

-Once all of that is done and the world is more or less to my satisfaction, that's when I plan to make the map available for people to download.

-After that, I wanted to take a copy of the world and use third-party world editors like TEdit to turn it into an adventure map, with a little story, challenges, collectibles, and boss fights.

So, yeah, that's basically it. This update has been a long time coming, so go play and enjoy!

Captain Tammo

Whoa this map looks amazing! :o You're one dedicated fan!

In all, how many hours do you think you've spent on this project?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

SoranMBane

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 02, 2015, 04:07:50 AM
Whoa this map looks amazing! :o You're one dedicated fan!

In all, how many hours do you think you've spent on this project?
I have no idea, but definitely a lot. ;D

Though, to be fair, I had hundreds of hours in this game even before this project would have been possible (namely, before the paints were added), and the majority of that time was still spent just building stuff. All working on this map has done is give my building more direction.

rrrrr

This looks good! Do you have any more screenshots, I don't have Terraria. :(
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

SoranMBane

Quote from: rrrrr on July 03, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
This looks good! Do you have any more screenshots, I don't have Terraria. :(
As you wish! :D

Here are some work-in-progress shots of that mole village I was planning:
Spoiler

Obviously the walls are missing, and it still needs to be furnished, but I'd say it's shaping up pretty well.

Oh, and here's me fighting Martians on top of the Salamandastron crater:
Spoiler

Because that's a thing that... Happened.

Oh, and fun fact about this new update; now, whenever there's a pirate invasion, the pirates will occasionally attack in a flying ship named the Flying Dutchman. So, Redwall Abbey could get attacked by the Flying Dutchman.

Captain Tammo

Redwall getting attacked by The Flying Dutchman?! I don't suppose there's a black lab you can adopt in this game, is there? ::)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

SoranMBane

Well, it's brown-furred rather than black, but it is indeed possible to get a pet puppy. Otherwise, I suppose you could just force a friend to dress in a black wolf dog costume.  ;D

Anyway, that mole village is pretty much finished now. Here it is:
Spoiler

I suppose I may as well just name it Moledeep, since that actually is a place from the books. The whole thing was built out of a natural cave located just east of Redwall. That purple stuff used for the doors, stairs, and some of the walls is granite, which is a new material added by 1.3.

Rusvul

Vampire Knives and Razorblade Typhoon! High five!

SoranMBane

Alright, I've got some more updates.

The first thing is related to a nifty new feature added by 1.3 called Camera Mode, which allows me to take screenshots of very large structures in their entirety, and more-or-less as they would appear in-game. So, here's Redwall Abbey and Salamandastron in their full, pixelated glory (these are very large pictures; it' highly recommended you follow the Imgur links to see the full-resolution versions):
Spoiler

I'll share more Camera Mode shots of the other structures once I've ironed out the details to the point that I'm satisfied.

Another feature 1.3 apparently added is the ability to dye pets whatever colour you want, so, uhh... Here ya go:
Spoiler

Hickory

Are those animal pelts in the abbey?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SoranMBane

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on July 22, 2015, 06:21:26 PM
Are those animal pelts in the abbey?
Yeeaaahh... I kinda hung those up in the Party Girl's room as a dumb little joke. ;D It's definitely not as bad as when I had a bunch of paintings entitled "Living Gore" hanging in the infirmary. Also those lanterns in the dibbun's room are literally from the Underworld (because children).

... Look, it may be Redwall, but this is also me that's building it; I can't function without throwing a few morbid jokes into the mix.

But, yeah, I probably will take those pelts down. Eventually. In the future. Plus pixels are totally vegetarian anyway.

Captain Tammo

YES! IT'S BEN AND NED AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN!

Gonff the Mousethief

These are AWESOME Soran! I love the be right Ben and Ned! Sadly I can't do this because I have it on Xbox One, but your work us still fantastic!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.