News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Redwall Abbey 3D Base

Started by Edraithel, April 26, 2015, 05:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edraithel

So I've wanted to draw the rooms of Redwall for awhile but I'm horrible at architecture, I can never get perspective right. So I've been using sketchup to make a 3d model of the Abbey that I can use as a base to digitally paint on top of. With this model I can get whatever perspective I want of the rooms and I can also see the outside of the Abbey.
Some of the lines I can't get rid of because they are connected to walls or other structural parts of the building and if I delete them it deletes the wall too, so there are a few lines there that I wouldn't keep when I paint it.
Front of the Abbey

Dormitory

If you guys want to use the model as a base to paint your own Redwall then when I finish I can post pictures of each room from a couple different perspectives.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Hickory

This is realy cool! It's nice to see something like this outside of Minecraft.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Edraithel

Thank you :D
All the rooms are measured out in what would be a life size ratio. So the Great Hall will be able to seat 240 people (not including dibbuns)
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Luftwaffles

That's amazing! I agree with Sage here, it is really nice to see stuff like this outside Minecraft.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Edraithel

More views of the Abbey. The screenshot of the Great Hall with the passage going to Cavern Hole isn't in anyway finished. I'm still working on the spiral staircase that will be going up to the dormitories and there is no wall right now on one end of the Great Hall, it's easier to see the inside with some of the walls cut out.

Great Hall:

Infirmary:

Great Hall with a view of the passage going down to Cavern Hole:

Wylder Treejumper

I can't see these pictures (hey hey hey, web filter!) So I'm just curious- what software are you using to create these? I've been thinking about using Autodesk Building Design Suite to CAD up an Abbey for a while now- a lot of Autodesk software is free for students.

Actually, the free Autodesk stuff is pretty awesome. It's got a product design suite, building design suite, entertainment (read animation) suite, and some other cool stuff. Yall should check it out.

Autodesk Link
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Edraithel

I'm using sketchup it's a basic 3d architecture program. It's free and it allows you to measure everything thing so you can actually build a building that has lifesize proportions. The program takes a bit of getting used to but it's easy after awhile, there's also a good tech support for it. Sketchup is a simple program but it does the job I need it to do, which is providing a base that has correct perspective that I can then paint on top of and add detail to.

Scott McLamok

"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

IronBoomer

Can you apply textures later on?
It looks great, especially for Sketchup..
Twitter: @IronBoomerSTL
Telegram: @IronBoomerSTL