Brian Jacques Audiobooks

Started by Captain Tammo, April 28, 2016, 08:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

My favorite book of the Redwall series (and probably ever) is The Long Patrol. Recently, I got The Long Patrol as an audiobook through Audible.com and WOW it was like experiencing the story again for the first time! Brian narrated the story and had a full cast with him to act out the voices and sing the songs together. The result made me feel less like I was listening to a book and more like a show or a play - it was fantastic!

Have any of you guys listened to Brian Jacques' audiobooks before? What did you think?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Dotti Dillworthy

I have all of Redwall audiobooks through torrenting, and currently listening to Salamandastron.

Have you ever noticed that audiobooks from Pearls of Lutra to Lord Brocktree (with the exception to tLP) are abridged? They could have turned to unabridged ones, the ones with a full cast, but they are recorded in a different company (Putnam Berkeley Audio).
The only Redwall book that didn't get an audiobook version was The Rogue Crew (owing to BJ's death). They could have hired some experienced narrator to take over BJ's place.

Nightshade

The audiobooks are great, I own quite a few on cd.
Actually, the audiobooks was what got me into Redwall. As young kid I was never really big on reading(in fact I found it a pain) but my older brother introduced me to recorded books, the first of which was Redwall, and I was hooked, at the time Redwall and Martin the Warrior were the only ones the local library had so I kinda spent one or so years switching between the two to check out and listen to. I actually didn't know any other books existed. In fact I listened to them so much my family was able to quote stuff from the book despite the fact they never actually sat down and listen or read them, that's how much I played them. After a bit I found out there were other books in the series and so I began reading them.

Groddil

Quote from: Dotti Lovegood on April 28, 2016, 09:00:32 PM
I have all of Redwall audiobooks through torrenting, and currently listening to Salamandastron.

You WHAT? How? Where did you get them? Tell me! Pleeeeeaaasseee!!! :P

Dotti Dillworthy

Quote from: Groddil on April 29, 2016, 12:18:04 AM

Through an audiobook torrent site.

Nightshade

Quote from: Dotti Lovegood on April 29, 2016, 12:39:14 AM

That's great, is it virus free?

Dotti Dillworthy

Quote from: Nightshade on April 29, 2016, 12:44:24 AM

Uh-huh. Here's the link: http://audiobookbay.me/audio-books/redwall-book-1-21-brian-jacques/
And be sure to look for them. Oh, I almost forgot: don't forget to sign up before downloading!

Nightshade

Quote from: Dotti Lovegood on April 29, 2016, 12:52:54 AM
Quote from: Nightshade on April 29, 2016, 12:44:24 AM

Uh-huh. Here's the link: http://audiobookbay.me/
And be sure to look for them. Oh, I almost forgot: don't forget to sign up before downloading!
'Kay, thank you very much.

Captain Tammo

I didn't know some of the audiobooks were abridged! I get that it sometimes makes for easier listening but I would not imagine Brian Jacques as one to shorten his own stories.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on May 01, 2016, 02:48:41 AM
I didn't know some of the audiobooks were abridged! I get that it sometimes makes for easier listening but I would not imagine Brian Jacques as one to shorten his own stories.

Ugh, yes. My recording of TLP is abridged and I was so mad. Been looking for an unabridged one, but no luck. And yeah, it doesn't make much sense does it?

Dotti Dillworthy

Am I the only one who finds some Redwall songs sung by Beth Cassidy a bit cringe-worthy (in the wrong place)? Because I heard her singing those credited to Mad Maudie, which make the haremaid sound a bit older than she actually was.

Tam and Martin

I own three, Eulalia, Doomwyte, and High Rhulain. Love them all but Probably Eulalia the best on audiobook. I've listened to most of them I think though.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ashleg

I think we have some at the library at School. Are they any worth getting before summer?

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Ashleg on May 10, 2016, 12:45:04 AM
I think we have some at the library at School. Are they any worth getting before summer?

I've only listened to the Long Patrol and part of The Bellmaker. Both were very good, but the long patrol had more songs and I really liked those!

Ashleg

Yeah, from what I've heard, the songs are great.
Is there voice acting and stuff?