News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

POLL: If These Badgers were in a fight, who would win

Started by alexandre, August 07, 2016, 02:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If these two Badgers were in a fight whould would win

Rawnblade Widestripe
9 (56.3%)
Lonna Bowstripe
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Ashleg

Not much a fan of the crows but I can say that I liked Ironbeak a little.

Lord Daskar

When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

alexandre

BALISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WILL SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLAYY YOU ALL IF YOU DON'T CASSSSSSSSSSSSSST A VOTE FOR HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS AWESSSSSSSSSOMENESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ;)
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Gonff the Mousethief

Asmodeus was the first snake in Redwall, and he had the creepiest sort of tension surronding him the whole time that when they finally found that he had the sword, I remember gulping because they would have to confront the creature. Plus his death was one of the most iconic things in the Redwall series with the "He stabbed for Martin, he Stabbed for Redwall!" thing being just amazing.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

alexandre

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on August 15, 2016, 08:38:01 PM
Asmodeus was the first snake in Redwall, and he had the creepiest sort of tension surronding him the whole time that when they finally found that he had the sword, I remember gulping because they would have to confront the creature. Plus his death was one of the most iconic things in the Redwall series with the "He stabbed for Martin, he Stabbed for Redwall!" thing being just amazing.

Spoiler
True, but Balisssssssss seemed to have much more stamina and strength then old Poisonteeth. He was blind and badly wounded from a hedgehog's spikes but he still managed to capture a raven and forced it to lead him to Korvus Skurr's lair with the intent of killing him. He battled a giant Catfish in the underground lake, which is no small accomplishment when you are blind, badly wounded and can't breath underwater. He slayed many birds and reptiles in the battle in the cave and was finally finished off when the cave collapsed. I remember reading Doomwhyte and thinking "wow, that is one tough snake".
[close]

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: alexandre on August 15, 2016, 08:57:45 PM

Spoiler
True, but Balisssssssss seemed to have much more stamina and strength then old Poisonteeth. He was blind and badly wounded from a hedgehog's spikes but he still managed to capture a raven and forced it to lead him to Korvus Skurr's lair with the intent of killing him. He battled a giant Catfish in the underground lake, which is no small accomplishment when you are blind, badly wounded and can't breath underwater. He slayed many birds and reptiles in the battle in the cave and was finally finished off when the cave collapsed. I remember reading Doomwhyte and thinking "wow, that is one tough snake".
[close]

Spoiler
True, very true. I guess its just that I didn't really like Doomwyte at all, and that he was used just for the villains without even really interacting with by a few of the heroes.
[close]
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on August 15, 2016, 09:04:39 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
True, very true. I guess its just that I didn't really like Doomwyte at all, and that he was used just for the villains without even really interacting with by a few of the heroes.
[close]
Not entirely sure why everything is in spoilers
I don't think it's necessarily fair to rate Baliss definitively over Asmodeus just for going through circumstances that Asmodeus never faced. Asmodeus only appeared in a handful of scenes, against weak characters. Just because Asmodeus didn't do any of those feats doesn't mean he couldn't have. It isn't his fault that he never faced any serious opposition until Martin's Sword came along. I think saying that "Baliss seemed to have a lot more endurance and strength" is a little silly because we never see Asmodeus's endurance or strength tested, so we have no basis for comparing the two.

What we do have is reputation. And as far as Poisonteeth's reputation and feats go, we know he, a giant adder, reigned in terror over Mossflower, hypnotized Matthias (which I think is pretty good considering that other heroes, like Matthias' grandson, seem to be immune to that for some reason), and was recognized for countless seasons afterwards as the exemplar of giant adders -- Doomwyte makes a point of mentioning that Baliss was believed to be a descendant of said snake. That's a legacy of greatness... whereas after Baliss was gone, as far as we know, nobody ever thought about him again.
[close]
« Subject to editing »

Lord Daskar

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 15, 2016, 09:40:45 PM
Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on August 15, 2016, 09:04:39 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
Not entirely sure why everything is in spoilers
I don't think it's necessarily fair to rate Baliss definitively over Asmodeus just for going through circumstances that Asmodeus never faced. Asmodeus only appeared in a handful of scenes, against weak characters. Just because Asmodeus didn't do any of those feats doesn't mean he couldn't have. It isn't his fault that he never faced any serious opposition until Martin's Sword came along. I think saying that "Baliss seemed to have a lot more endurance and strength" is a little silly because we never see Asmodeus's endurance or strength tested, so we have no basis for comparing the two.

What we do have is reputation. And as far as Poisonteeth's reputation and feats go, we know he, a giant adder, reigned in terror over Mossflower, hypnotized Matthias (which I think is pretty good considering that other heroes, like Matthias' grandson, seem to be immune to that for some reason), and was recognized for countless seasons afterwards as the exemplar of giant adders -- Doomwyte makes a point of mentioning that Baliss was believed to be a descendant of said snake. That's a legacy of greatness... whereas after Baliss was gone, as far as we know, nobody ever thought about him again.
[close]
Spoiler
I think it would be silly to say that Baliss does have more strength and endurance. It does seem like Baliss has more strength and endurance due to his circumstances you just don't know whether or not he actually does.
[close]
When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

alexandre

Doomwhyte was one of the last books in the chronological order so I don't think you can safely say that he didn't have legacy of greatness, I would also like to point out that Poisonteeth (I refuse to spell out his actual name, to much work) Couldn't finish of Chicenhound. Baliss also seemed to have quite a reputation a with the birds in Mossflower, and probably the other creatures to.
The birds where terrified of Baliss, and probably wouldn't have gone after him if he had stolen anything from them whereas when the sparrows thought Poisonteeth had stolen something from them they went to try and take it back.
But I am just guessing at this because I don't have any proof but it just seemed like this is how things would play out. Also, Doomwhyte is fresher in my mind since I reread it recently and I have not reread Redwall in a while so there is some bias.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

LT Sandpaw

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

I suppose Mokkan. Although I'd have to agree with Sand- I liked the lesser ones better.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Groddil

Quote from: Sagetip on August 16, 2016, 01:58:21 AM
I suppose Mokkan. Although I'd have to agree with Sand- I liked the lesser ones better.

Agreed.

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Gonff the Mousethief

Mokkan, because he is the only one I can remember.
The message of Lewis;
And the heart of Milne.

Delthion

Quote from: alexandre on August 15, 2016, 10:26:24 PM
Doomwhyte was one of the last books in the chronological order so I don't think you can safely say that he didn't have legacy of greatness, I would also like to point out that Poisonteeth (I refuse to spell out his actual name, to much work) Couldn't finish of Chicenhound. Baliss also seemed to have quite a reputation a with the birds in Mossflower, and probably the other creatures to.
The birds where terrified of Baliss, and probably wouldn't have gone after him if he had stolen anything from them whereas when the sparrows thought Poisonteeth had stolen something from them they went to try and take it back.
But I am just guessing at this because I don't have any proof but it just seemed like this is how things would play out. Also, Doomwhyte is fresher in my mind since I reread it recently and I have not reread Redwall in a while so there is some bias.

You see, Baliss was one of the offspring of Asmodeus, and as such he was weaker and not quite as large, the books stated that. Asmodeus was, at least the books made him sound, to be larger and more powerful than Baliss.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.