Is Redwall as safe as they say it is? (Role-play thread)

Started by Ashleg, September 02, 2015, 03:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the vermin meet the Redwallers?

Yeah!!
Not yet...When we're further into the roleplay. c:

Ashleg

Mixy scampered as quietly as she could through Redwall's corridors.
The sun was still rising, letting some early morning sunlight seep in from the windows. For some reason she had never been able to sleep past sunrise.
The young haremaid was seeking out her friends, Bracklew and the other young creatures of Redwall. They had found a note with somebeast's name written on it a week ago, and she still hadn't figured out what it meant and if they should tell the adults or not. It was just a mysterious name and no big deal, right?
Something told her maybe the Abbey Warrior would have a clue who it was, but she wasn't ready to ask for help yet. She liked adventures and wanted to figure this out just herself and her friends.

Little did Mixy know, she wasn't the only one awake this early.
Rapshade the Swift was a tall, lanky ferret, with a chilling amber gaze and a love for plunder. He was a true pirate with a large crew of vermin at his command.
Though they were relatively new to Mossflower, Rapshade had taken a liking to it and ordered that they stay for a while and take what they can.
Everybeast was already up. After all, why waste a day when they could be establishing themselves in this land? He had docked his ship near the bank of the wide river which had served as their gateway to Mossflower. The pirate ferret's eyes raked over his assembled crew.
"Alright, everybeast, quit yawning, get off this ship, and let's march!"

LT Sandpaw

Redwall Abbey was in a state of blissful silence, with only a few creatures awake and about at such a time. One of those creatures stood in the boys' dormitory where the young wards of Redwall slept. He was a squirrel adolescent who sported a coat of bright red fur that resembled fire. Plastered on his face was a cheeky smile which was at the moment twisted in fiendish pleasure. Tippawing though the rows of beds where dibbuns and other Redwall wards slept, the young squirrel suddenly burst into a loud and annoying song.

"Oh beautiful songbird, chirping with pleasure n' glee,

Found that 'is feathers were drenched with syrup n' chees!

With woe he did holler, for aid he did cry,

While all round 'im, the cooks they all snored!

But they never did find 'im, until 'e wa-"

At this point the young squirrel Bracklew was hit by several well aimed pillows as the young males of Redwall voiced their displeasure, some burying their heads under blankets to try and avoid the noise. Dodging pillows and laughing Bracklew fled the now very awake room running down the stairs in his haste to escape their wrath.

Running down past the kitchens he nearly ran into his friend, the hare Mixy.

"Ho hey there Mix, what's mixing'? Ha, good'un huh?" Bracklew rattled off in his usual quick manner, his bushy tail flicking as he talked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Saltooth wasn't the only creature to grumble at this order. Groaning the heavyset searat bemoaned his midnight decision to go exploring. Now the captain wanted nothing other than to go tramping into the thick unknown jungle that was laid out before them. Beside him a small stoat stretched hefting a spear like a walking stick. Saltooth voiced his complaints in a loud whisper to the stoat.

"Blood n' fish guts mate e' ain't serious 'bout us marchin' inter that jungle is e'?" Hafear the stoat was much older than the grumbling steersrat and sneered viciously at him tapping the haft of his spear.

"T'all yer doin' Salty, an' if'n I a'd a choice it twill not be get'n h'on the Cap'ns bad side ya 'ear. I 'ave seen I'm kill beasts wit' not but 'is stare. Savvy?" The young steersrat had a rebellious look that Halfear had seen many times before, typically frozen on some deadbeasts face. The grizzled stoat shook his head as Saltooth thrust three curved blades into his sash.

"Ye don' care do ye."

"Oh I do mate, jus' ain't the time 'er place ta dis-cus it." Turning his own sneer back at the stoat Saltooth made an exaggerated wink. "Savvy?" Leaping up he dogtrotted to the bow of the ship kicking at beasts who were moving to slow. Raising his voice so the captain could hear Saltooth yelled out, "Move yer usless 'ides, ye 'eard the Cap'n le's go!"

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

Mixy grinned, rolling her eyes slightly as Bracklew emerged from the dormitory.
"Haha, I heard your song, it was very...Errr, you!" The haremaid exhaled loudly and shook her head, continuing to grin at him.
"So, wot, by the sounds of things I'd guess ya woke everybeast up with it. I couldn't blame ya, really, it's too quiet around here in the morning."

Rapshade took a sharp breath when his steersrat, Saltooth, started calling out orders. He frowned and was about to go over when he heard a loud "'E can't be serious!" coming from across the deck, near the edge. Deciding to take care of Saltooth later, the captain marched calmly over to where the voice had come from and quickly discovered that it had been none other than the weasel, Slimepaw--somebeast who was known for loudly voicing his opinions.
"You don't like my plan, do you?"
This had caught the weasel completely by surprise. Filled with shock and terror, Slimepaw turned around to face his captain. The ferret was about a head taller than he was, which added to his fear.
"N-no! Uh, Cap'n, I jus' don't really l-like th' forest..."
Rapshade nodded understandingly as he patted the lying weasel on the back.
"I get it," he murmured, "You like the sea better, I'd bet you want to go back to the sea."
Slimepaw's features lit up excitedly. "Oh boy, can I, Cap'n?"
"Sure you can. Aye, and watch out, you're going to fall!"
"No...I'm not.." Slimepaw gave him a quizzical look, but his words faded into no more than a yelp when Rapshade lashed out and knocked him off the ship, into the shallow water surrounding the boat. The unfortunate weasel died on impact.
Rapshade dusted off his paws and proceeded over to the plank which led to the ground.
As he passed Saltooth, the ferret's eyes glinted.
"Don't do my job. I'm the one who does the pushin' and the kickin' around here. Touché, frogwalloper?"

LT Sandpaw

The squirrel laughed preforming a sort of hop skip around Mixy. "Oh yes very true, ya know. Far too quiet and stuffy in this Abbey, you'd think somebeast just died by the way they all act. Hey you hungry I am. Did you ever wonder why creatures get hungry? I always thought it was odd, because no matter how much you eat your always hungry again sometimes later. I thought maybe it was like a fire, even though you put more wood it always burns up and you need to add more. Funny ain't it?"

He continued to ramble on before suddenly pausing his movements and voice. He tilted his head as if consider something else, and for once growing nearly completely still. "Hey did you keep that paper, the one we found in the woods. With the name Shady fast or Rap quick, or something like that?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For all the bravado that Saltooth put off he wasn't one to possess a lot of backbone. Plus he was had just witnessed the captains sudden brutality making his continued survival more of a lucky chance. Lowering his gaze he stopped in mid kick muttering out excuses and apologies. "I 'ear ye Cap'n, understood Cap'n, wont 'appen again Cap'n."

Glowering at the ferrets back Saltooth waited until he was far enough away before finishing his earlier movement of a swift kick. The little rat who had been snickering at Saltooth's belittlement from the captain looked as if he was about to shout about the continuing abuse when Saltooth's dagger pressed against his neck. "Shut yer gob tinygut, for I shut it for ya see." The larger rat whispered angrily.

Sheathing his blade Saltooth followed the rest of the crew down the gangplank leaving the smaller rat rubbing his throat glaring at his tormenters receding back.

Ashleg

"Ha, indeed I do, wot, I believe the name was Shadefast Quickrap? ...No, that's not it. Erm..." Mixy looked thoughtful for a moment.
The hare eventually shrugged and resorted to pulling the torn piece of paper out of her pocket. She held it up to the light and sniffed it.
"Ah, Rapshade the Swift is the name."

Rapshade coughed and felt his paw instinctively start to hover over his sabre for a minute before continuing on his way off the ship.
The rat, Fangfang, scampered up to him and saluted awkwardly.
"G'day, Cap'n Sir! I was th' first 'un off the, err, ship. Are ye proud o' me yet, Cap'n?" Now, Fangfang was the ditziest rat Rapshade knew, and his name had only added to how rediculous the ferret thought this rat was. Fang was constantly needing approval, and wouldn't leave the captain alone...kind of like a dog.
Rapshade groaned inwardly and slapped him sharply on the cheek.
"I'm not in a good mood today," He hissed, pushing the yellow-furred searat aside. "Get in the back and wait for my orders. Saltooth, get over 'ere!"

LT Sandpaw

"That's right Rapshade the Swiftish, or at least he thinks he is. He just hasn't met me yet." Bracklew joked. Leaning forward the young squirrel sniffed at the paper as well. It smelled of wood mold and the inside of Mixy's pocket. Not the best combination. Shaking away the stench he bounced away scratching at his ear.

"So what'cha gonna do with it?" He asked tail twitching.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Aye Cap'n." Saltooth yelled in a surely voice, running up the steersrat pushed past Fang tugging his ear in a salute.

"What c'n I do fer yer Cap'n?" He asked forcing his voice to sound more cheerful, he couldn't hold up to those piercing amber eyes and his gaze dropped. One day he would tear those eyes out, oh that would be the day. He would force the upstart ferret to do his bidding like a slave before cutting him down. Saltooth was patient, he could wait.

Ashleg

Rapshade smirked in a mocking kind of way and patted Saltooth on the head.
The weak fool can't even hold his gaze.
"Oh, let me see...Take Fangfang and scout ahead. You know that I'll know that if I hear any screams not to go that way." He mused. Right away the smaller rat ran up to them again, grinning dopily.
"Aye aye, Cap'n! Oh my, Saltooth, we's be gettin' t' be exploration mates."

Rapshade strode off toward where the remainder of his crew stood awaiting his command.
This was his chance to perhaps be rid of that obnoxious Fangfang and for Saltooth to realize that he, Rapshade the Swift, was the one in charge.
If they get hurt that'll show them! He thought.

-

Mixy pressed a paw to her lips before starting down the hallway.
"C'mon! I think I want to go wake Brandon up. We can't keep this a secret anymore, can we? Even if it's jus' a crazy Dibbun trying to play a game by writing a mysterious name like this, at least we'll know."

LT Sandpaw

OOC: Is it alright if I have some others join Saltooth as well? If not I'll change my post.

BIC:

Saltooth fumed as the ferret patted his head, only the thought of one day shearing those same paws off someday kept Saltooth from sinking his teeth into them. With a snarl he glared daggers at the helpless Fangfang before saluting again.

"Aye Cap'n. C'mon brainless." Leading Fang off Saltooth motioned to two of his cullies snapping out at them. "Hey Blackclaw, Halfear Cap'n want's us ter go scoutin. C'mon mates." He didn't add the several choice words he would have used to describe the forest they were about to go scout. A healthy fear of the captain kept him tight lipped.

Leading the way Saltooth grumbled and slashed at the undergrowth with his three companions following.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The young squirrel didn't need any extra prompting, though his small tubby stomach growled slightly making him long for the dinning hall. Ignoring this urge he followed Mixy chattering off while he ran. "Do ya suppose Brandon knows who the name is? Or really who the name belongs too? I suppose Brandon is pretty smart being the Abbey warrior an' all. I guess he would probably be in his Dorm dont'cha think?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brandon as it turned out wasn't even near his dormitory room. The solid mouse warrior was the southern wall top sniffing the cool autumn air. Though he was an older mouse and he wore no sword nor weapon at the time, his steady paws and the dangerous glint in his eyes showed he was a capable creature.

The sword of Martin that he used to protect his Abbey was hanging under the great tapestry, he saw no reason to carry it in this time of peace. breathing out he climbed down the wall steps his survey of the Abbey grounds complete. he marched steadily toward the Abbey building a soft smile on his face.

Ashleg

OOC-
Oh yes, that's fine. ;)
And I just created a dad for Mixy, I may put him in soon...
IC-
Fangfang grinned oddly and tilted his head.
"Hahaha...What?" The skinny rat shrugged and waited for Saltooth's friends to join them before rushing up at the other that's side and chattering about nothing in particular.
"I 'aven't seen trees this close fer a long time, they're cool, eh? Methinks I like trees..."

Rapshade waited for a few minutes, until Saltooth and the others were far enough ahead.
His eyes flicked dangerously to his sabre and he pulled it from his sash.
"They're far enough ahead, let's go." The ferret snapped at his crew, waving his sword.
All but the ten of them he'd ordered to stay and guard the ship were coming along.

"Yeah, I'd bet he is!" Mixy vigorously rounded the corner to where Brandon's room was, and rapped upon the door. She was silent for a while, trying to listen in and hear if anybeast was in there.
"He's not in here, Bracklew. Mayhaps he went outside?"

LT Sandpaw

With ears twitching Bracklew stepped forward taking Mixy's place by the door. "Aw naw Mix you just didn't bang it loud enough to wake him. Watch." Raising both paws he clenched them together in a conjoined fist bringing his paws forcefully down on the door creating a hollow boom.

"Ahh, ow, ooh, my paws!" Leaping about Bracklew sucked on his rapidly bruising paws. To add insult to injury the room remained silent. He danced about causing more noise by his yelps wringing his stinging appendages with fat tears in his eyes. "Ahhh why did you let me do that Mix mate, that hurt ow, ow, ow!?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Curse 'is guts, curse 'is maw, curse 'is tail." The constant complaints that issued forth from Saltooth's throat were very unappealing to his two traveling companions, Fangfang was something else altogether. Grumbling and curse the steersrat led the way though the woodlands blundering over tree roots and getting caught on brambles. None of his crew mates were faring much better, and all three had been attacked by a branch more than once.

Blackclaw, a tough looking weasel, seemed to be handling the forest the best. Sauntering into the lead the mustelid swiped at the undergrowth with his cutlass, wielding the heavy blade like a machete. Even though he was better suited to the woodlands it hardly was his forte.

"Come cullies onward inter the rising sun, marching though the green trees eh." The weasel laughed slashing at a juniper tree, while putting on his best landlubber accent. Saltooth glared at his shipmate tapping one of his dagger hilts threateningly.

"I suppose yer wantin' ter become a landlubber eh? Why don' I speed th' process 'long an' put yer in th' ground now? 'Ow 'bout that eh? C'mon Fang yer laggin' again."

Ashleg

Rapshade began leading the way, following the trail his scouts had made as they trampled down the undergrowth. So far, no screams.
He was almost disappointed.

Fangfang was staring at a weed, and snapped his head up when he heard Saltooth call for him.
"Huh? I'm laggin'? Uh, sorry there!" The rat snickered sheepishly and ran up beside Saltooth.
"There, no more...Err, what's the word? Laughin'?" He paused, searching the area with his eyes before glancing back at the larger rat.
"...Who were ye sayin' te curse, pal?"

-

Mixy shook her head.
"Now you're gonna wake everybeast up with your bally wailing! Shh. I told ya he wouldn't be in there. Let's go look for him elsewhere, 'k'?"

LT Sandpaw

OOC: A nice long post, oh BTW Halfear probably wont make it though that one. ;)

BIC:

It was a very subdued squirrel that followed Mixy. Sucking his paws and padding along at a slow pace Bracklew trailed along behind the hare. Voiceing his complaints with an air of one who had just survived a traumatic event.

"My paws are probably broken for good and my only friend in the world has utterly abandoned me with only a wish to continue her hunt for answers. Oh woe to the adventurer who valiantly wounded himself for the cause of knowledge only to be mocked by his companion." He paused considering what to say next as he hopped down the stairs. "Hm, scorned and thrown out, uncared for and starving with ruined limbs. Never again to run among the trees and fields, broken in his youth." He ceased his dramatic speech realizing his paws no longer hurt. The young squirrel tested them smiling in satisfaction.

"Ah ha see Mix they have healed with incredible speed. Do you suppose I'm one of those creatures who have the ability to heal? Mayhap I should become a warrior, wounded on the battlefield I would slowly rise up and laugh as my body heals. It would be most interesting don'tcha think?" His ceaseless prattle continued along the stairwell, his previous announcements of pain and rejection forgotten.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Curse who? That bloody ferr-!" Saltooth stopped himself before yelling out Rapshade's name. Fang might very well repeat what was said here given half the chance. He grunted and waved a paw distractedly. "Er, I mean, nuttin' jus' shaddup."

Feeling the point had been put across Saltooth started moving forward again only to stop suddenly as Blackclaw clutched his eye and keeled over cursing like a proper sailor.

"Bloody, misery, guts n' gore n' plague n' fire!" The weasel yelled with furious abandonment rubbing at his eye furiously. Both Halfear and Saltooth chuckled at their shipmate's pain not fully understanding what had happened.

"Wots wrong wit' yer eye Blacky?" Halfear barked over the weasels curses. The mustelid groaned grousing as the pain started to fade.

"Some bilge flew inter me eye, like O' rock see." Lifting his paws the others could clearly see the red veins that ran though the smarting eye. A few tears dribbled out as well, called unwittingly to the surface. Looking at the ground Halfear spotted what had hit the weasel.

"Look 'ear tis a likkle bug." The stoat laughed. Sure enough a small black and yellow insect crawled along the ground nearly as dazed from its impact as Blackclaw. Squashing it easily with the butt of his spear Halfear laughed aloud at their comrade's indignation. "C'mon, les' keep moving mates." Still chuckling Halfear stepped out taking two steps before a crunching noise sounded. With a yelp one of the stoat's paws sank into a large underground beehive. For a moment the pirates blinked in surprise, then a loud buzzing filled the air. Harmonizing with Halfear's screams.

Ashleg

OOC-
Ooh yay a long post! Poor Halfear.
IC-
Fangfang gasped in horror and started backing away, shaking his head.
"Aaagh! Help! Help him, Salty!" He cried, hopping up and down exaggeratedly. "Cap'n!! Cap'n, help, kin ye 'ear us?!?"

Rapshade could indeed hear them. Snickering, the ferret elbowed the weasel who stood beside him.
"See? This is why it's good to have scouts. Listen t' their moaning, oho, 'tis like music to my ears." He mused, polishing his sabre on the weasel's cloak.
The poor weasel just nodded numbly, too scared to move or say anything in return to the other pirate.
Rapshade coughed a couple times as he sat down atop a log.
"We'll wait until we don't hear anything more, and then change course."

-

"Everybeast has the ability to heal, you great crazy furball." Said Mixy playfully.
"D'you want to check outside? I know he likes to linger by the walltop."

LT Sandpaw

Though Halfear had been a cully of Saltooth the steersrat could think of a number of reasons not to save the stoat from the swarm of angry bees. One he had smelled, two the stoat had always acted like he knew everything. And three, there was no power in hellgates that could get the rat to do anything but run from the attacking swarm. Plus Saltooth was sure Halfear had cheated on their last round of shell toss.

Blackclaw had already fled running towards where they had left the crew. Saltooth made to follow pushing Fangfang out of the way in his haste.

"Save 'im yerself idjit! I'm goin'!" Leaving the smaller rat to make up his mind Saltooth crashed though the woodlands sent on his way by a few sharp stings.

Halfear lay among the wreckage of the vengeful bee folk's home. Horrible lumps covered his body leaving not a single inch of flesh unmarred. His eyes had swollen open, and his face was unrecognizable. Nervous adrenaline pumping though his body cause the occasional movement such as a twitch of the claws, but otherwise the dead stoat lay still. His mouth twisted in eternal laugh frozen in place by the uncountable stings.

The bees finding Halfear was stung enough changed their target flying into the air searching for some other creature with whom they could inflict their painful vengeance.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Alight sure, I bet he is. Besides walls are much less painful then doors." Bracklew agreed with a cheeky smile on his face. With a flick of his bushy tail he dashed down the stairs yelling to Mixy.

"Last one too the wall is a duck with a sore throat!"

Ashleg

Fangfang yelped when one of the insects jabbed him in the back. He turned around to see a swarm of bees behind him.
That was enough to send him howling after the others.
"Wait fer me! Ouch! Slow down, Salty! Owowoww!"

Rapshade frowned, recognizing Fangfang's voice from a little bit away.
That fool better not be leading the danger toward them.
"Get up and move!" He hollered, pushing his way into the front again.

"Hey!" Mixy giggled and dashed off after him.
"Remember, ducks can fly!"