News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Skirmish of Scoff! [EXTRAVAGANZA EVENT]

Started by Captain Tammo, October 31, 2017, 03:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

(THIS RP IS NOW OPEN!)

Prompt:
Salamandastron, the great mountain fortress on the West coast of Mossflower country and home to the famed Long Patrol and Badger Ruler, had stood for eons. Immutable to the elements of nature, the long dead volcano shell was among the most powerful symbols of security and order in a thousand-league radius from its base. However, something was happening – something not able to be discerned from the eerily quiet, moonlit beach. No. The chaotic rumbling was coming from inside the mountain! There was a battle going on in the enormous kitchens of the great fortress, and it was at its climax. The atmosphere was thick with delightful, smokey flavor as a more than a score of hares, in teams of two and three, dashed to and fro about the fray, trying to concoct a dish that would out-perform all the other competitors.

Meanwhile, the mess hall had never been more full in all its seasons of existence. Every table was jam-packed with hungry hares (creatures notorious for their seemingly bottomless stomachs) shouting and jeering amongst one another while they waited for the food to be served. Even the Badger Ruler herself, Lady Elle the Hammer, struggled to hide her eagerness for the food to be served and the judging to begin. Of the thirty or so hares that were waging war in the kitchen, only one team would be crowned victors and receive the prize: triple the regular hare's ration for a week!

A lot was on the line for the perilous beasts fighting in the kitchen. Which team of valiant vittlers would emerge from this bake-off brawl, this... clash of cutlery, this... SKIRMISH OF SCOFF!

Characters / Teams
Lance Corporal Carmen O'Foster Bobo (and two older brothers): Carmen is, well, clumsy to say the least... But her heart is in the right place. There's not a soul at the mountain, save for maybe the badger ruler herself, that cares as much about the jolly ole patrol as Carmen does. That's why she dragged her two older brothers into the mix when she heard about the cookoff! Not being very experienced in the culinary arts, both of her brothers seem to know what they're doing.

Private Barnaby Bucks (plus Adam, Barnaby's sidekick and partner in crime): A short, mischievous young 'un, still in training as a leveret. Barnaby has a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to making sure his dish is best (though it may come at the expense of some others if they're not careful)! Don't be too hard on him, though. He means well and he's a good lad.

Private Serafina (and her two best friends, Ben and Ned): Serafina has wanted to become a cook for the mountain's kitchens since she was just a little one. But a snafu in her scheduling (also known as "sleeping in past her try-out"), Serafina is determined to prove herself as the best cook at the mountain. Anything as long as it's not getting sent out to walk for a hundred leagues on end!

Sergeant Cornspurry (and two leverets he's pushing rather hard): This team makes quite the sight! What, just because Cornspurry is a drill sergeant doesn't mean he can't vicariously achieve his dreams through his leverets? Don't be silly! Insults will fly, panic will be abundant, and dinner will consist of a delicious soup o' blood and vinegar! (well, not really, but you get the idea)

Leverets Darcy and Darius Starbuck: A late entry into the contest, this brother and sister had risked falling asleep in drills all week by staying up all night practicing dishes and planning recipes. They are the overachievers of their class and have a lot riding on this. But how far will pure motivation and determination really take them into the battle?

____________: _____________ (player's choice! Choosing to make a character or team does not gain or lose one consideration when judging occurs. Be sure to introduce your character if you make a new one).

How to play (everyone please read)!
To be considered for points, one must post in the RP at least 4 times. Judging is based off of quality of post. The winner of the war is not necessarily the winner of the RP in judging. That title goes to whoever does the best job with progressing the story and playing their part.

All OOC and IC posts will occur on this topic. No extra topics have been made. OOC posts do not count toward the 4-post minimum to be considered for judging.

Players will RP as one or more of the characters above. One may play as other characters, but may not god-mode. If a dispute should arise, then the post that caused the problem should be re-written (this expedites the problem-solving process and allows for the RP to carry on). Bickering does not bode well for when judging comes around.

Anyone may jump in at any time. The kitchens of Salamandastron are big! So it's okay if creatures disappear from view and come back later. Though we encourage interaction.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

HoltLutra

Happy to Be Exploring Redwall!

Maudie

I'm in! I'd like Lance Corporal Carmen O'Foster Bobo, if y'please.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

HoltLutra

I might make a character, I'm just not sure what to do though. Maybe an otter or something.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Maudie on November 15, 2017, 12:49:28 AM
I'm in! I'd like Lance Corporal Carmen O'Foster Bobo, if y'please.

Hehe, Carmen's one of my favorites :)

Quote from: HoltLutra on November 15, 2017, 02:42:16 AM
I might make a character, I'm just not sure what to do though. Maybe an otter or something.

Go for it! We can hop right into it then!

--

I'll take Sergent Cornspurry, unless someone else wants him.

HoltLutra

Do the characters have to be hares? If not, perhaps I'll create an otter character.

Captain Tammo

You are welcome to make an otter if you'd like!

HoltLutra

Skipper: Chieftain of otters, renowned throughout the Abbey and Mossflower for his cooking abilities, particularly with hotroot! Prepare to be beat!

So that's my character, are we ready to begin?

Captain Tammo

Sure, let's begin!

As one who regularly drilled the leverets in the Long Patrol, and having been a seasoned warrior himself, Sergeant Cornspurry was one who did not fear. Rather, it was his job to make others fear! He was also one for having an especially big stomach, and was largely driven by his pride in much of what he did. Cornspurry had decided that he would not break form during the cook-off, even if it was a scene of mass chaos around him. He ordered his two 'teammates', if they could be called such, who had 'graciously volunteered themselves' for the job of working 'alongside' the good sergeant in the cook-off. Though, to be fair, these two were his favorites of the whole class of upcoming Long Patrol hares. He hoped that some day soon he could march alongside some of them. But thoughts like that were certainly not being conveyed here and now.

"You there! Young Bianca, I ordered you to bring me a ball of aged yellow cheddar and you've brought me white! Do you think I'm stupid, or do your just not care about anything it is that you do to aid your team in this competition?! Get out of my sight and don't come back until you have the white cheddar, do y' hear... Do-o-o-on't stand there saluting and all 'wot wot' this an' 'wot wot' that! Get moving afore I have your guts fer me garters!

"And yo-o-ou, Margarita, wipe that silly grin off of your face or else it'll stick like that! Heh, you wouldn't like having such a dopey grin on your mug for the rest of your life, would you? Now keep stirring that pot - move, move, move! Hup-two-three-four, Hup-two-three-four!"

As he was ordering the young leverets about and making them feel as uneasy as possible, Sergeant Cornspurry was busy chopping away at a tall pile of vegetables. Onions, turnips, beets, carrots - the works! The plan was to make a chilli. But not just any chilli - this was his family's recipe! It had never failed him before, and he certainly was not about to let the recipe fail him now!

Taking a glance about the wild kitchen, Sergeant Cornspurry narrowed his eyes at all those who were around them. This would not be an easy task. He knew that he was among the best cooks at the mountain.

HoltLutra

Skipper had only recently arrived at Salamandstrom and already his cooking skills and ability to stomach his food was legendary. His entire tribe of otters had been visiting the sea from Redwall when they heard about the "skirmish of scoff" as it was being called around the mountain. Skipper's team was composed of his sister, Josy Broadrudder and his friend Clearstream.

Skipper bellowed across the hustle and bustle of the noisy kitchen to Josy, who was collecting ingredients from a tall shelf, "Josy! Get hotroot! Lots and lots of hotroot!"

His sister grinned at him an grabbed an entire armful of the stuff before running back toward their station, skillfully sliding under a tray full of food about to be loaded into an oven. She deposited the hotroot on the counter and started to crush it into a powder with mortar and pestle. This would be a key ingredient in what Skip was planning to prepare...hotroot stew, a favorite of otters across Mossflower and beyond!

Skipper looked around the culinary battleground and waved to Sergeant Cornspurry, "How are ya, Sarge? How's the cooking going?" he said with a friendly grin.

Nadaz, voice of the host

I'll take B. Bucks
"Go get the the leeks and potatoes Adam, this soup will be grand" yelled BB "run be off with you now" BB started boiling the water for the soup when he dropped in a bit of pepper a idea for a prank formed in his mind.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Maudie

Lance Corporal Carmen O'Foster Bobo was not one to let a little thing like lack of talent sway her from her course. Her uniform stuck to her fur, wet and sticky with steam. Her paws moved even more clumsily than usual, thanks to a few mishaps with the cutting knife. But still she soldiered onward, chopping seemingly endless supplies of vegetables. This would be the biggest, most delicious vegetable pie Salamandastron had ever seen! If her brothers could just get the crust right...

Carmen swept her last vegetables into her pot, then whirled around to check up on Alexandre and George. The huge, towering hares were bent eagerly over the counter, their aprons covered in flour. They were wielding rolling pins and veritably wrestling with a huge lump of dough. With a sigh, Carmen marched over to inspect their work.

To her surprise, the dough looked to be about the right consistency, and it looked as though there would be enough to make the pie, maybe even extras. And it looked as though Alex and George weren't completely butchering it in the process of rolling it out. She breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe this pie would turn out alright after all.

Then Alex looked up, his eyes widening. "Watch those veggibles, sis!"

Carmen turned around quickly. Too quickly. Her paw landed on a slippery vegetable top and sent her falling right into the pot. The coals from the fire burned her before she could scramble away. When she had distanced herself from the fire, she looked up in horror to see the huge pot of vegetables and boiling water spilling out into the kitchen.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

HoltLutra

Skipper quickly leaped sideways to avoid the boiling water that was sent splattering across the kitchen floor. Clearstream was not so lucky and he got a painful burn on his rudder. He rapidly wrapped it in a cloth from the counter and continued cooking, grimacing through the pain.

Nadaz, voice of the host

BB saw the water coming but was not fast enough to doge out of its path. As it swept by his ankles and legs were badly burned, he cried out ''Adam run! OUCH!!!!!'' BB dove upon a table, taking advantage of everyone's distraction he lept over to the otter's table and grabbed the container of hotroot. He then poured the entire container's contents into their soup, it was much more hotroot then any hare or otter could ever stoumch. Now he just had to escape without being caught.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.