News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Martin's sword blade

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, July 25, 2013, 02:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerLordFiredrake

This is about the blade itself.  I know it was from an asteroid, but why is it so strong?  Iron is iron is iron.

Randomly found this while browsing.  xD
baby turtle forever

phoenixfoden

Rusvul

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on July 25, 2013, 02:28:34 AM
This is about the blade itself.  I know it was from an asteroid, but why is it so strong?  Iron is iron is iron.

Randomly found this while browsing.  xD
Yes. Iron is iron. However, there is no chance at all that Martin's sword is pure iron. It never shows any signs of rust or dent after its reforging, and if it is made of steel, which is far more likely, there are all sorts of possible metals in there. One of the metals that might have made it so strong is Iridium, which is the most dense element on the periodic table, and I believe the densest thing we know of. If Martin's sword was of normal steel, except with tiny amounts of Iridium, it might not effect the weight very much, but it would most likely make the blade much harder. I don't think iridium rusts, but I could be wrong on that.

BadgerLordFiredrake

True.  But (grammar fail on my part) iridium/osmium normally aren't found in asteroids, as far as I know.
baby turtle forever

The Shade

No, but tungsten is!!!!!( I think!!! :D ) Which explanins y it toke half the night to heat up.  Anyway, we'll never know what metals were in Martin's sword.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Rusvul

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on July 25, 2013, 06:48:54 PM
True.  But (grammar fail on my part) iridium/osmium normally aren't found in asteroids, as far as I know.
Iridium is. If you've ever heard of Damascus steel, the reason it was so powerful is because it was unintentionally alloyed with Iridium. The raw material for Damascus steel was mined I believe somewhere in India. Back before we picked up all of the iron and metal that was lying on the surface, there was a lot of surface ore. This was due to asteroid strikes. They contained metals such as iron and copper, and apparently sometimes there were things like Iridium, which does not occur on earth except from meteor strikes or particle accelerators. Iridium is rare in asteroids, but it does occur. On the note of Tungsten: I know very little about it, however I do know that no matter what metal it was made of, it would have taken far more than one night to make a quality blade. Me, as an amateur, with help from an experienced smith, I can make a two inch knife blade in four hours, but that doesn't count the time it would take to anneal the metal, fit a stone, dress the handle, make a sheath, or sharpen it. Also, I can sharpen or heat something much faster than Boar the Fighter, due to blowtorches, gas forges, angle grinders, and belt sanders. To make a blade as fine as Martin's, of such a dense alloy, should have taken him at least a month.

The Shade

Well, some of the hare could have helped......but yeah, there is no way Boar could have made a sword of that qulity, in that time.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

It could 'ave been magic...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Mariel

Rusvul

Quote from: Mariel on July 26, 2013, 10:49:55 PM
Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on July 26, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
It could 'ave been magic...
It was magic.  ;)
As was mentioned throughout the series, "The sword is only that, Matti- A sword. Whether it is good or evil depends on the beast who wields it." Also, in Redwall, they mention that the sword isn't magic, I believe it's Julian Gingevere who says that.

Shadowed One

Basically though, Martin needed to have the sword right away, not in a month. It IS fiction after all. And maybe in the Redwall world there is a faster way to make weapons.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Maudie

Yeah, maybe a machine or something. ;D :o
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rusvul

Quote from: Shadowed One on July 27, 2013, 12:38:41 PM
Basically though, Martin needed to have the sword right away, not in a month. It IS fiction after all. And maybe in the Redwall world there is a faster way to make weapons.
I'm pointing out an implausibility in the series. I know it's fiction. If you look on other threads, such as the "Run like a Hare and fight like a Bear" thread, people seem to want to come up with an explanation for everything. Here, it's being dismissed as "It's fiction". I find it interesting that a less relevant topic has is surrounded in more controversy. I wonder why? Back on topic, if there is a faster way to make weapons, what do you think it might be?

Romsca

The Shade

Maybe a little bit of magic dust poured on it?  ;D