News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Martin the Warrior's spirit

Started by Jukka the Sling, October 25, 2013, 05:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

It didn't. I think the Shade meant that Martin doesn't just appear to Redwallers or to save Redwall, he also appears to other guys.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 28, 2013, 03:33:08 PM
It didn't. I think the Shade meant that Martin doesn't just appear to Redwallers or to save Redwall, he also appears to other guys.
Yes, but there is always a reason for Martin to appear to anybody. He dosn't just appear for the sake of appearing. There always has to be a reason.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Jukka the Sling

Why did he get Saro and Bragoon to go to Loamhedge Abbey for no good reason then? Is it 'cause he's not always right on everything?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Shade

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on October 28, 2013, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 28, 2013, 02:37:06 PM
Quote from: The Shade on October 27, 2013, 10:03:52 PM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 26, 2013, 04:42:27 PM

It doesn't? Oh wait, you mean like when he appears to some questers or something like that?
I don't remember any scene were Martin appeared and didn't really help the creatures that he appeared to. What book was that in?
Like when Martin helped Tiria in High Rulain. That didn't do anything to help Redwall
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah zink tiz more tae 'elp ze creaturez at Redwall an' lezz tae 'elp Redwall itzelf. For example, 'e vid probably zuggezt zummat alon' ze linez o' evacuation for an emergency like an earthquake.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: The Shade on October 28, 2013, 08:08:41 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on October 28, 2013, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 28, 2013, 02:37:06 PM
Quote from: The Shade on October 27, 2013, 10:03:52 PM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 26, 2013, 04:42:27 PM

It doesn't? Oh wait, you mean like when he appears to some questers or something like that?
I don't remember any scene were Martin appeared and didn't really help the creatures that he appeared to. What book was that in?
Like when Martin helped Tiria in High Rulain. That didn't do anything to help Redwall
Just because he is said to be the "guard" of Redwall Abbey, that dosn't mean that he can't help any other good creatures in conflict with evil.

Osu

Ooh, this topic fascinates me. *puts up a tent and camps out in thread*

For my part, I think Martin and his spirit are the same thing, i.e., I don't think of Martin being in dark forest and his spirit residing at the abbey. I think he did pass on to dark forest, but he can wander freely to and from there and the waking world. Er, for lack of better term. Remember, Martin's spirit isn't the only ghost to send visions or dreams to living creatures.

I fondly imagine he "lives" at the abbey but, being dead, has the ability to see anything that might affect it as well, such as an approaching horde over a season's march away. He could then go about telling the future and sending appropriate visions to the appropriate animals. He probably has friends in dark forest, too, and might be obligated to help out their descendants/animals they watch over as well. The spirit of Martin seems to be much more prevalent than any other, so I also think it's plausible he's a much more powerful spirit than most and therefore hands out the lion's share of advice.

As for others being able to see him, I like to think there is, on occasion, a certain amount of natural sixth sense involved in the living creature who sees Martin's spirit. Not all the time, of course, but you know how some people claim to be able to see or sense ghosts? A bit like that.

I'm rambling, so I'll stop now. Interesting topic to ponder, there's a lot somebody could do with it as far as fanfiction goes... *hint hint nudges random members around the thread wink wink*
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Ungatt Trunn

Osu
What caught my eye in your post was when you said that Martin's spirit was "much more prevailent". Couldn't than mean that there was some superntural destiny for Martin right from the start? And what if, just what if, that tbe whole thing about being spiritually prevailent was a family thing?
I once read a Fan Fiction about Redwall were it says Luke (yes, Martin's father) watches over the seas in the same way that Martin watches over Redwall. And it was also hinted that Martin's ancestors were still guiding other creatures and places. So, just think for a secand: what if there was some great supernatural force above Martin and his relatives that sort of uses them to help all good creatures that are living? What if there is possably a supernatural king, a god-sort, maybe, that is in control of the world of Redwall? The "god" could have put Martin and his decendents into place so as they can help all creatures that stand for good. It would sound a little obscure if said that Martin becoming the guardian of Redwall, Luke becoming guardian of the seas, ect. happened all by acsident? I think that there is something a little bit more than meats the eye; what if there is some supernatural being that controls the world of Redwall?
Sorry if that sounded a bit supernatural, but its just an intresting idea that I had...thoughts?

Osu

I think it's a great idea that warrants some fabulous fanfiction. Writing a God-type character into the Redwall universe could be really fun, especially with Armageddon and prophesies and so on.

I like the thought of Luke watching over the seas where Martin keeps an eye on the land. I'm actually very fond of a supernatural type Redwall, I've often thought it would be fun to have "ghost hunters" or something to that effect wandering the forest and going to Redwall to meet Martin, or Salamandastron to have a chat with all the dead badger lords -- and maybe deal with some dead vermin that have been wreaking paranormal havoc in Mossflower and beyond. :D It sounds so exciting.

Ungatt Trunn

Osu
I think that it would be pretty intresting to read a more ghost-hunters like Redwall story. Being a resercher into ghostly creatures like Slender Man, I'd think it would be intresting to see a Redwall story that followed along those lines. Like, some Slender Man like creature is haunting the woods of Mossflower, and the creatures of Redwall try to put a stop to it. I would love to read a story like that...

Osu

Same here! I'd do it myself if only I could write, haha. ;D

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Osu on November 08, 2013, 02:48:07 AM
Same here! I'd do it myself if only I could write, haha. ;D
I'm wrighting a Fan Fiction right now...maybe after I finish that one, I'll wright one thats a little "ghostish"...

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Tam and Martin on November 08, 2013, 03:01:56 AM
Now that would be neat!
Yes...but it will be hard trying to come up with some ghostly creature for the world of Redwall...

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on November 08, 2013, 03:05:03 AM
Quote from: Tam and Martin on November 08, 2013, 03:01:56 AM
Now that would be neat!
Yes...but it will be hard trying to come up with some ghostly creature for the world of Redwall...
That would be a hard thing to do since its a world of animals.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000