News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall

Started by Captain Tammo, June 29, 2011, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

hey guys, I've been wondering, what's the history behind the ditch in front of redwall?  ??? I'm thinking it was from building and landscaping parts of the abbey?

What do you think?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

I always thought it was for drainage purposes... like, when it rains a lot, the ditch is probably filled with water. ???
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Osu on June 29, 2011, 05:45:24 PM
I always thought it was for drainage purposes... like, when it rains a lot, the ditch is probably filled with water. ???

Another reason to keep the dibbuns inside. Otherwise they might decide to get barrels or something and sail in the water.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Osu

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 29, 2011, 06:19:43 PMAnother reason to keep the dibbuns inside. Otherwise they might decide to get barrels or something and sail in the water.
Haha, that'd make a cute subplot. Some dibbuns sail down the ditch one day and have to be tracked down. Adventure afoot! I love it.

Redwall Musician

I wonder about the sparrows. They don't come in any other books after Mattimeo. Did the sparras leave? Did they die out?

The Dibbuns are very naughty. Don't go to the ditch!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 30, 2011, 07:07:42 PM
I wonder about the sparrows. They don't come in any other books after Mattimeo. Did the sparras leave? Did they die out?

The Dibbuns are very naughty. Don't go to the ditch!
Remember? Their Queen and most of the others died, so I think they must have died out or something.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Tiria Wildlough

Did you know that Redwall Abbey was built over Castle Kotir? It's in The Long Patrol.
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 01, 2011, 06:13:07 AM
Did you know that Redwall Abbey was built over Castle Kotir? It's in The Long Patrol.
Yes, now you mention it - was there a ditch mentioned in Mossflower? That might explain it. Perhaps it was a moat of sorts for the old castle, or... or something?

Tiria Wildlough

I don't know. I'll have to re-read Mossflower.
I'm not a hipster.

Captain Tammo

That could be true, but then why wouldn't the ditch be all the way up and down the path instead of just by redwall?
Maybe (and this is a long shot) but in The Long Patrol , it said that after Kotir was destroyed, most of the area where Redwall was was a swamp. Maybe parts of the castle fell and made a big hole in the ground that later hardened and the ditch. Again, probably not true BUT a possibility.

Also, does anybody remember that mutant-rat-like thing in Mossflower ? I forget it's name but it fought a pike and died. Anyway, it lived beneath Kotir in an underground pond/SPRING. When Kotir was destroyed and Redwall was built, an underground spring became the abbey pond. If you connect the two it makes sense... Kinda creepy though that and murderous mutant-rat lived where the abbey pond is and dibbuns play in it. Just thought that part was interesting...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

That's an interesting theory! And I'd forgotten about that rat-thing, I must re-read that book... aww shoot, I have to re-read them all. XD

Aaaand yes... this is kind of creepy now that you mention it. =/

AakashB

Very interesting theories. I had never thought about the ditch that much.

sabretache5611

the ditch seems to have been there...as far as I know, since Legend of Luke so it was there at Redwall's founding, but not before Kotir....hmmm....really interesting...my personal opinion is that it was mouse/creature made not a side-effect of Kotir's destruction....
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 02, 2011, 06:22:25 PM
Also, does anybody remember that mutant-rat-like thing in Mossflower ? I forget it's name but it fought a pike and died. Anyway, it lived beneath Kotir in an underground pond/SPRING. When Kotir was destroyed and Redwall was built, an underground spring became the abbey pond. If you connect the two it makes sense... Kinda creepy though that and murderous mutant-rat lived where the abbey pond is and dibbuns play in it. Just thought that part was interesting...
It was called the Gloomer. That thing was so creepy!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

There was no tunnel the Gloomer used. It was taken out by Kotir's gate to the area near the otters' hideout. That is, there was no tunnel that was known of, but there's no reason to think there was.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away