News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Woodlanders that we wish had lived (SPOILER ALERT)

Started by Ashleg, July 08, 2015, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

I hear a lot "   (villain)   " we wish had lived, but what about the good guys?
For me it would be Martin's grandma (I forget her name), Ranguvar, Abbot Mortimer, and Warbeak (oh man, I cried when she died ;v;)

Who are yours?

Hickory

Windred was never confirmed dead, but she probably passed away, marching and working in the slave chain.

I'm sure most people on the forum agree that Rose shoulda lived. Honestly.

Personally, I would've liked to see Mellus live. I mean, she needed to die becuase of the plot, but I liked her and she was a great character.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

Oh, Mellus! I liked her too. I knew there was a badger I was forgetting.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on July 08, 2015, 02:33:29 PM
Windred was never confirmed dead, but she probably passed away, marching and working in the slave chain.

I'm sure most people on the forum agree that Rose shoulda lived. Honestly.

Personally, I would've liked to see Mellus live. I mean, she needed to die becuase of the plot, but I liked her and she was a great character.

Some of us would argue Rose ain't dead.  :P Un-orthodox viewpoints aside. I'm not sure I'm totally willing to accept the death of the hedgehog from Salamandastron. I find it hard to believe the eel would've bitten a spiked creature hard enough to kill him, and he was a fun character to boot. And another one I can't name ( ::)), the otter from Rogue Crew that got shot with the ballista through the unlocked gate... They shouldn't have unlocked the gate honestly.

Now, quick question. Is this thread about those that SHOULD have lived, or we WISH had lived? Because Ranguvar didn't stand much of a chance, Warbeak and her tribe nose-dived an army of rats with bows. Sad, most certainly, but they were deaths that were hard to avoid.

Just gonna throw this out there, the Kestral from Outcast of Redwall.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Hickory

Jetthebinturong

Skarlath was a kestrel. Redwall wiki says so.

I don't think any characters that died should have lived. I don't like threads like these because that's changing the entire story.

And Dan, whether or not Rose is dead is irrelevant. She is no longer present in the story. The idea that she may have lived is a nice thing to think, sure but it doesn't matter since she's never seen again.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Quote from: danflorreguba on July 08, 2015, 03:50:42 PM
       Some of us would argue Rose ain't dead.  :P Un-orthodox viewpoints aside. I'm not sure I'm totally willing to accept the death of the hedgehog from Salamandastron. I find it hard to believe the eel would've bitten a spiked creature hard enough to kill him, and he was a fun character to boot. And another one I can't name ( ::)), the otter from Rogue Crew that got shot with the ballista through the unlocked gate... They shouldn't have unlocked the gate honestly.

Now, quick question. Is this thread about those that SHOULD have lived, or we WISH had lived? Because Ranguvar didn't stand much of a chance, Warbeak and her tribe nose-dived an army of rats with bows. Sad, most certainly, but they were deaths that were hard to avoid.

Just gonna throw this out there, the Kestral from Outcast of Redwall.

Oh geez, by should I meant wish, I thought it meant the same thing :p. Changed it.

Izeroth

Call me cold-hearted, but I don't think Rose should have lived. We can invent all these alternate scenarios, but the fact is that, had Rose lived, Martin never would have travelled to Mossflower, never would have forged his sword, and never would have helped free the woodlanders from Tsarmina's tyrannical rule. Mossflower's history would have been irreversibly changed, probably not for the better.

James Gryphon

I still feel that Martin's contributions to saving Mossflower are overrated.

Off-hand I don't disagree with any of the deaths in the series. They're necessary to add emotional flavor to the stories; if nobody ever died or was in any danger it would be pretty boring.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 08, 2015, 05:31:00 PM

I don't think any characters that died should have lived. I don't like threads like these because that's changing the entire story.

And Dan, whether or not Rose is dead is irrelevant. She is no longer present in the story. The idea that she may have lived is a nice thing to think, sure but it doesn't matter since she's never seen again.
I should have clarified. Kite is the otter.

Eulaliaaa!

I agree that most characters that died were meant to die, especially Rose. She needed to die for Redwall to exist. But Scarleth? Scarleth? Why, why did Brian Jacques have Scarleth die? I loved Scarleth, he really should be lived.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Ashleg

Skarlath...Yeeeah, I agree.
Maybe he killed him off so it would seem more fair since the good guys couldn't spy on the baddies?

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on July 08, 2015, 06:07:25 PM
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 08, 2015, 05:31:00 PM

I should have clarified. Kite is the otter.
Yeah.

(Kinda off topic....  I was reading snippets of my copy of TRC the other day in preparation for a oneshot, and I realized that since the crossbow bolt on the Greenshroud was as thick as the mast (it said so when they were attempting to shoot Lady Violet), when it hit Kite, it either must have torn her body in two or carried it along and pinned it to the Abbey door.  Simply awful.  :()
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

There is no way the bolts could have been that thick. :P The crossbow would have to be as wide as the ship would be long.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird.  Checked that part just now, and apparently I misread it.  The bolt is actually half the LENGTH of the mast. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien