News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Woodlanders that we wish had lived (SPOILER ALERT)

Started by Ashleg, July 08, 2015, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

I wish that Brian Jacques took the G.R.R.M route and gave us an unexpected woodlander death every now and then, just to remind us that the good guys aren't infallible. Also, Scarlath's death was to give Sunflash a more legitimate reason to hate Swartt. (In my opinion, at least)
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Starla1431

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on July 12, 2015, 03:13:00 PM
I wish that Brian Jacques took the G.R.R.M route and gave us an unexpected woodlander death every now and then, just to remind us that the good guys aren't infallible. Also, Scarlath's death was to give Sunflash a more legitimate reason to hate Swartt. (In my opinion, at least)

I agree. I wish Redwall had more deaths then what was given in most of the books :/.

Skyblade

Oh my goodness, where do I start?

EVERY SINGLE INNOCENT LIFE. Seriously, I hate it when innocent characters die. It really sucks :-\ Like, I feel really bad for Mrs. Bankvole and Friar Hugo in Mattimeo (which is my favorite Redwall book). These things also make me hate the enemies more.

Speaking of Mattimeo, I never took Queen Warbeak's death very well.

Of course, I didn't like when Rose died. I think most people will agree with me on that one.

I'm sure there are more. Oh yeah, Shogg and The Mask's deaths... I also hated when those innocent squirrels got killed and even *shudders* eaten in the beginning of Rakkety Tam.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Ashleg

Yeah, Warbeak especially for me, I cried.  :'(
I kind of forgot who Mrs.Bankvole was...Rollo's mom?

Mhera

Swiffo (from The Rogue Crew). Out of all the woodlander deaths, that one was the most abrupt and unexpected for me.

Stellamara

Quote from: Skyblade on July 15, 2015, 03:07:37 AM
Oh my goodness, where do I start?

EVERY SINGLE INNOCENT LIFE. Seriously, I hate it when innocent characters die. It really sucks :-\ Like, I feel really bad for Mrs. Bankvole and Friar Hugo in Mattimeo (which is my favorite Redwall book). These things also make me hate the enemies more.

Speaking of Mattimeo, I never took Queen Warbeak's death very well.

Of course, I didn't like when Rose died. I think most people will agree with me on that one.

I'm sure there are more. Oh yeah, Shogg and The Mask's deaths... I also hated when those innocent squirrels got killed and even *shudders* eaten in the beginning of Rakkety Tam.

Co-sign this! I mean, I even read through the Redwall Cookbook cringing a little because I knew Friar Hugo's days were numbered. And I just love that wild, goofy Warbeak. And Mask! what an awesome spy he was.

The Skarzs

I really liked Basil's reaction to Hugo's death. Even though the cook hated the hare in his kitchen, Basil loved the guy and, as a true friend, wanted to carry his body back to Redwall.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

CaptainRocktree

I really wish Mask lived... Along with many others..  :P
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Banya

One of my biggest (and only) issues with The Rogue Crew:
Swiffo's unexpected, unpredictable, unfair death.  I had to read this part a few times over before the gravity of what had happened really sunk in.  He was born into a clan of bloodthirsty warrior sea otters yet had chosen a life of peace, and despite that choice, his father loved him still.  He was the very picture of young and innocent, yet he had the wisdom of a good leader.  His death was a hard blow.
On the other hand, Kite the Slayer and Endar Feyblade (which remain two of the best names in the series) are the only casualties of the battle that took place on the Redwall lawns, and Kite died before the battle had truly begun.  The battle at the end seemed to easy, too perfect.  Numerous Guosim shrews had been earlier killed when run over by the Greenshroud in the River Moss.  It was infuriatingly avoidable, but beneficial to the plot.  Many innocent and unsuspecting characters died in the book, but the woodlander side got off light in the final battle.

Izeroth

Quote from: Banya on September 04, 2015, 06:52:43 AM
Swiffo's unexpected, unpredictable, unfair death.  I had to read this part a few times over before the gravity of what had happened really sunk in.  He was born into a clan of bloodthirsty warrior sea otters yet had chosen a life of peace, and despite that choice, his father loved him still.  He was the very picture of young and innocent, yet he had the wisdom of a good leader.  His death was a hard blow.
On the other hand, Kite the Slayer and Endar Feyblade (which remain two of the best names in the series) are the only casualties of the battle that took place on the Redwall lawns, and Kite died before the battle had truly begun.  The battle at the end seemed to easy, too perfect.  Numerous Guosim shrews had been earlier killed when run over by the Greenshroud in the River Moss.  It was infuriatingly avoidable, but beneficial to the plot.  Many innocent and unsuspecting characters died in the book, but the woodlander side got off light in the final battle.

I haven't read The Rogue Crew in a while, so I don't remember the battle all that well, but didn't a Long Patrol hare named Drander also die?

LT Sandpaw

Three or four hares died in the battle along with about six of the Rouge Crew. They lost a few but not as many as you would have thought for the final battle of the Redwall series.

As for woodlanders I wish hadn't died... None really, really there wasn't enough fallen heroes I think, though I was a little bummed about Warbeak's death, it was never particularly cool, she just got shot by some unnamed rat. Though it did add a sense of realism to the story it was depressingly sudden.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

Quote from: Izeroth on September 08, 2015, 01:23:40 AM
Quote from: Banya on September 04, 2015, 06:52:43 AM
Swiffo's unexpected, unpredictable, unfair death.  I had to read this part a few times over before the gravity of what had happened really sunk in.  He was born into a clan of bloodthirsty warrior sea otters yet had chosen a life of peace, and despite that choice, his father loved him still.  He was the very picture of young and innocent, yet he had the wisdom of a good leader.  His death was a hard blow.
On the other hand, Kite the Slayer and Endar Feyblade (which remain two of the best names in the series) are the only casualties of the battle that took place on the Redwall lawns, and Kite died before the battle had truly begun.  The battle at the end seemed to easy, too perfect.  Numerous Guosim shrews had been earlier killed when run over by the Greenshroud in the River Moss.  It was infuriatingly avoidable, but beneficial to the plot.  Many innocent and unsuspecting characters died in the book, but the woodlander side got off light in the final battle.

I haven't read The Rogue Crew in a while, so I don't remember the battle all that well, but didn't a Long Patrol hare named Drander also die?
Yes. That was some great writing.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

Quote from: Izeroth on September 08, 2015, 01:23:40 AM
He did.  I'd forgotten that he died then; in my memory he died earlier, but that's wrong.  I remember that he died just as he was developing as a character.  Seeing the experience, maturity, humility and fighting skills he was gaining made his death hard, too.

Marthimeo

Friar Hugo's death was always really sad for me. I nearly cried when I read it :'(.

Ashleg

Oh yeah, that was sad. :'(
He didn't deserve it, but I guess that's what's needed for the story to keep going.