News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

RedVenture 6

Started by Shandi, September 14, 2011, 07:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shandi

Things are not as they appear. The death toll is rising. Time is running out. The claws of fate will dangle the lives of eight creatures over the very fires of hellgates. Who will survive? Who will fall? Find out in RedVenture 6!

If you are a newcomer to the survivor scene that has thus far been too intimidated to try and compete with veterans of survivor contests past, or if you have tried for contests before with limited success, this might just be the contest for you.

Applications due by October 16th.

The latest Redwall survivor contest! Apps due May 31st!

Shandi

Anyone have any questions about this contest, or survivor contests in general? Please don't hesitate to ask! Sorry for the double post/post bump, but I'm just really, really hoping to get as many new people involved in this as I can. And the lack of replies thus far makes me realize I did a poor job of explaining what survivor contests even are for the many here that have probably never heard of them. So...this is the basic description of a survivor contest, taken from the Redwall Survivor Wiki:

QuoteA Redwall Survivor Contest (or Game) is modeled roughly after the Survivor! television show, and involves a number of contestants all competing in a writing competition. Applications are taken to fill a certain number of slots, and contestants are chosen either entirely by pre-selected judges or by the audience voting on a selection of applications filtered by said judges. Once all the slots are filled, the contestants write a story, the audience reads their collaborated efforts, and every week or so they vote for the character they think is the weakest. The votes are tallied, and the writer with the most votes must exit the story, usually killing off their character in the process. This process continues until a handful of contestants are left, usually three. The audience then votes on their favorite remaining character, and they are declared the winner and usually given the right of directing the end of the story.

Contests are really fun, and they can be very good for improving your writing and character creation skills. They're a bit different than your average RP, but once you get the hang of them, they're a blast!

And if you're not that into writing, you should consider just hanging out as an audience member, reading and reviewing the fantastic story, contributing fanart, taking part in audience contests, and getting to know your fellow audience members. Contests always need more reviewers!

So yeah. Just let me know if you have any questions at all. I'd be more than happy to answer them. I don't bite, really.

(omnomnom)

Stonewall

If you've never been involved with a Survivor contest, either contestant or audience member, I highly suggest going over to take a look at the site. It really is a good opportunity to flex your writing talents and have fun with other writers and Redwall fans. Besides, you get a chance to write what happened in Kotir prior to the Greeneyes family taking over! Chances like that don't come too often.  ;)

Coobreedan

I've visited this site a couple of times before. It's great!
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Shandi

Thankee! :D

Just to let everyone know, applications have been moved back to October 8th. So there is still plenty of time to apply. Really, if you have any questions at all, I would be happy to answer them. I'd love to get some more people involved in this. The more the merrier!

Chiryoushi

Dragging this post back up to the top of the forum!

Hi guys, I know this isn't likely to mean much, but here's my angle.

I've been around on the ROC for a long while and although I haven't been active lately, I got back into things just recently enough to have spotted the recruitment call for RV6 going out ROC-wide.

I'm advancing slowly toward the big bad world of responsible adulthood, and I'd love one last literary brawl before I find myself dragged under completely.

Who's with me? Go on, apply. Do it for a vet. :D

Shandi

Aww, thanks!

Yes, GUYS. SERIOUSLY. Want to know the truth? This contest was designed for people like you, newcomers to the survival scene. Ain't that pretty sweet? Truth is, we've been seeing the same people in contests over and over, and we need new blood, new voices! We want to hear your writing voices.

It seriously is a blast. You get to write with seven other people over roughly a seven week period. These people are here to help you improve your writing and to keep you sane (generally through the very insane contestant chat :P). I've made some great friends and had some fantastic times in contests.

If you are at all interested, please check it out. You will not regret it! I've extended applications until October 16th to fill the many slots still open, but if you think you might need a little more time, PM me (here or on the RV forums) and we can work something out.

I really, really just want to get as many of you involved as possible. Trust me. It is fun.

Oh, plus, if you're a contestant? You get a free portrait of your character drawn by this lovely lady. How cool is that? Also, you may get some fanart from me! Not nearly as awesome, but still, woo! Free picshars! How can you say no to that??

Not to mention the fact that you'll also be immortalized in the Redwall Survivor Wiki. NBD. ;)

So, yeah! Please get involved. I promise you you won't regret it. :)

Coobreedan

I don't really get how it all works, plus, where do I introduce myself? This is mah profile picture by them way:
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Shandi

There's a (probably really old) introduction thread in General discussion, but anywhere's fine! It's all pretty chill. The RedVenture 6 Discussion is where most of the action is going to be at. RedVenture 5 and 4 are past contests, but they're up for your perusal (great stories, both of 'em).

There's not a loooot of time left of apply now (though I could probably be persuaded to extend the deadline by a few more days, for those that need). Applications are due tomorrow (Sunday) night by 9 PM EST. Basically you choose a category (preferably one with fewer applications already in it, to have the best chance of getting in) and write a 600 word application showcasing a scene involving your character (who must be an original creation made specially for this contest, and not used anywhere else, because authors are supposed to remain anonymous from the audience, to ensure fairness in voting and all that). I've written up a handy dandy guide on the forums here, which should hopefully be of some use to people that have never applied for a contest before. Let me know if you have any other questions, though!

So basically after the application process, 8 contestants are chosen, and those contestants work together to write a story. Each week, one character is voted off, until only a few (generally three) remain. A winner is decided through a final vote, and that person generally gets to direct the end of the story. Meanwhile, those that are not chosen as contestants tend to stick around, review the story, chat about whatever, take part in any contests that pop up, write fan-fiction, draw fanart, etc. It's a lot of fun. :)

Shandi

Hey all. Applications are closed now.

HOWEVER.

Because some people have asked for more time, we'll still take any last minute applications up until the end of the judging period, 11:59 PM EST on October 23rd!

There's still time! (Technically!) Please apply! We'd love to have you! :)

yeswonderful

I...don't have time to write in the contest (wish I did), but I think I shall follow along as an audience member. And what's this you say about art for the contest?
Like pirates? Want to be a classy vermin who wears a cravat and sails the high seas? Enjoy writing? Join the VI! http://rovl.org/vi
VI movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD-1Q0htbfk&feature=youtu.be

Coobreedan

So we write an application on RSW? Okay.

Shandi

No, just follow the instructions laid out on the forums (the pinned topics at the top of the RV6 discussion board). :)