Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Female
9 (52.9%)
Male
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

DanielofRedwall

I'm not necessarily drawn to one over the other, I just like it when they can sell what they're singing. My favourite vocalists regardless of gender identity are the ones with something unique about their vocal delivery. While there are some very technically gifted singers I enjoy listening to (for example, Ariana Grande or Jonsi from Sigur Ros), I really like the more of-kilter vocal style. For example, Archy Marshall of King Krule, Matt Berninger of The National, or Stella Donnelly. To quote David Byrne (of Talking Heads fame): "The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying." That's not to say some very technically proficient singers can't also have very distinct, expressive singing either (one that stands out is Harriet Wheeler from The Sundays, one of my favourite singers, as well as Jonsi as I have mentioned).
Received mostly negative reviews.

shisteer of nothing much

Within reason, I'm not too fussed with the voice and complexity of music. It's the words that are important to me; I like songs that tell a story.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

One-Eye the wildcat

I like dark, angry music, such as Sick of it by Skillet, and Dirty deeds done dirt cheap by ACDC.
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

shisteer of nothing much

I like calm, peaceful music such as Vivaldi's Four Seasons and other classics.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on September 27, 2019, 12:28:51 PM
Within reason, I'm not too fussed with the voice and complexity of music. It's the words that are important to me; I like songs that tell a story.
The story is definitely an important part for me. Though, sometimes the singer matters.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Trigoma

I'm partial to male voices. Whenever a song is released that I actually enjoy, I look for male covers of it, if it is not originally sang by a male. Nothing against females, but I always sing along with songs I like, and I cannot sing in the female range xD
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

shisteer of nothing much

That is fair enough. I enjoy female singers too, though I generally look for ones that aren't soprano, but there's nothing like a good male voice.

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on September 12, 2020, 06:16:14 PM
Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on September 27, 2019, 12:28:51 PM
The story is definitely an important part for me. Though, sometimes the singer matters.
Mm, hence 'within reason'. Also, the story is often better told by a better singer, since they can put emotion and such into it.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!