News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Extinct

Started by Maudie, October 11, 2017, 12:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Extinct is a tv series created by Orson Scott Card and airing on BYUtv (you can watch it free on their website). It's set 400 years after the extinction of the human race when a few humans are revived by an alien species and told to revive more. Or something like that. ;D

I've only seen the first episode so far, but I know @Jukka the Sling has seen them all and is very eager to talk about them. ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lady Amber

Yeah, Jukka Russa, and I and our whole family have watched all the episodes that are available so far. ;D The last two episodes of the first season are coming out November 19, though. I'll probably die waiting. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Jukka the Sling

@Maudie:  You know me too well. ;D

As Amber said, I really love this show!  There are huge twists in about every episode, and the characters are awesome.  I think Duncan might be my fave. ;D
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Maudie

Just finished watching the fourth episode! Aaaagh, this show is intense. I WISH I HAD TIME TO WATCH THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT NOW!

At first I wasn't sure how much I'd like it, but it really picked up after a few episodes.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

BJaqFan

LOVE Extinct!  Only watching the eps as they air on TV...what I've seen so far is great!

Maudie

Okay, I'm enjoying it, but I've noticed a plot hole...

Plot Hole

If Ezra, Abram, and Feena were part of the settlement before and the creators of the droids didn't know that the everyone in the settlement was dead, then why would they revive them again? I mean, it said that the Sparks wouldn't make someone that already exists.
[close]

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm, I've never cared for Orson Scott Card, personally. I would be interested in watching the show, I suppose, because BYUtv makes pretty good quality stuff, but I just don't have enough time.

Or, at the very least, I shouldn't have enough time ::)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Lady Amber

Quote from: Maudie on October 12, 2017, 05:48:46 AM
Okay, I'm enjoying it, but I've noticed a plot hole...

Plot Hole

If Ezra, Abram, and Feena were part of the settlement before and the creators of the droids didn't know that the everyone in the settlement was dead, then why would they revive them again? I mean, it said that the Sparks wouldn't make someone that already exists.
[close]

Thoughts? Am I missing something?
Spoiler
Huh, now I'm trying to remember. The creators knew that everyone was dead, right? The Sparks would only do what the creators told them to (I think), and maybe the Sparks somehow knew that they had died? Maybe the creators told them? Not completely sure.
[close]

BJaqFan

Hopefully that's something that gets answered! 

Have you guys seen the cover that Peter Hollens and Taylor Davis did of the theme song?!?!?

Here are both videos...support your favorite artist!  And, hey, they say different things at the end, so why not watch both! :P

Lady Amber

Those were really cool!

BJaqFan

Aren't they great?!?!?  Wish their cover was used for the show!

Finally had a chance to watch this week's episode...
Spoiler

My family was wondering why we haven't seen any flashbacks with Abram...now we know why!  Didn't see that twist coming!
[close]

Blaggut

Looks great. Would watch it but I don't really like to support Orson, considering how anti-gay he is. A shame considering how great queer romance could be in this story! 3;

Might check it out anyways though, but I have serious doubts based on its creator.
~Just a soft space boi~

Jukka the Sling

Personally, I think it's a bit shortsighted to judge a show based solely on the beliefs of one of its creators.  It's a really good show! ^^
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Blaggut

I already find it slightly difficult to enjoy hetero-only media. Something made by an anti-gay person is very unlikely to have any good emotional plot whatsoever. The creator cares more about what's in the pants of his characters than their emotions.
~Just a soft space boi~

Maudie

Hmm, I'd have to disagree. The personal opinions of the creator don't necessarily have an affect on the emotion of the story. Plus in filmmaking the characters can often be portrayed with emotion that wasn't present in the writing due to the actors interpretation of the characters that may differ from the author's intent.

I personally think you should give it a try. It's free to watch online, so there's not much to lose. Plus you can stop watching anytime. But no pressure. :)