Started by The Skarzs, June 03, 2015, 11:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrrrr

Sounds better, I think.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Verdauga

Interesting detail. This might be going off topic, but when I read The Two Towers, I noticed Tolkien rarely used anything other than "said". It might have something to do with the length of the dialogue between the characters, though.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Verdauga on March 25, 2020, 04:25:10 PM
Interesting detail. This might be going off topic, but when I read The Two Towers, I noticed Tolkien rarely used anything other than "said". It might have something to do with the length of the dialogue between the characters, though.
I've noticed that as well. A lot of very famous writers seem to be a fan of simply using "said".
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

I also meant to add in that post that the importance of the dialogue content would change whether the author used "said". In Skarzs' example, the dialogue was used to add context to the action, while other series have used dialogue to even set the plot point in the book. I haven't read all of LotR though, so I won't use that as an example here.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Kade Rivok

Yeah, I don't think using "said" is bad per se, it turns mostly invisible to the reader, but as a writer I hate using it because I'm like "Can't I come up with ANYTHING better than saying 'said' again?!"
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Kade Rivok on March 25, 2020, 07:45:17 PM
"Can't I come up with ANYTHING better than saying 'said' agian?!"
Yeah, that's the biggest problem I have with such words. My editor doesn't like it when I use the same word too often either.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!