News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Discussion

Started by Wisteria Wild Cat, July 21, 2012, 12:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisteria Wild Cat

I can't belive that there wasn't a topic for this!

Seriously, try it out! It's AWESOME!!!
This is for you Pegasisters and Bronies. So discuss MLP here, post videos, talk about ponies, and all that fun stuff.

My favorite character is Pinkie Pie! She's awesome, and lover to see her friends happy, as I do. I'm not sure why lost of MLP fans like Rainbow Dash the best. She can be rude, and mean. She's also way to proud and full of herself for me.

So who's you're favorite character? What episodes have you seen? What's your favorite episode?
I am so unbelievably busy at the moment, (BECAUSE I'M MOVING!!!) if you need me, which you most likely won't, PM me!

Lutra

I was waiting for this topic to show up at some point---its hard to avoid.  Even Fox News had something on bronies in the armed forces wearing patches on their uniforms to signify that they like the show.

Sorry to say I'm not a fan of this show.  I've watched an episode or two, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Flandor

I think the Bronies are more about proving it's ok for grown men to like light hearted things, and that message I can get behind, being a twenty year old guy who still loves Redwall and other books for young people.  But I watched the show and I found it boring, to me.  But that doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it :)
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lutra

Flandor, Redwall is one thing, MLPFIM is a whole different animal. ;)  Fantasy book series generally cross all age barriers and gender barriers--many people like them. 

When you tv show about girl ponies with names like "Pinkie Pie" or "Fluttershy" and you have guys that go and legally change their names to something based on this show, you do have to take a step back and go "Okkaaaaayyyy...."  :o  There is a difference between liking something and a flat out obsession.....this show, I see more things that tell me this is an obsession with people rather than just something they like.  To bring up the article I just saw about the military, these men and women that choose to put this pony badge on their uniforms could actually find themselves in trouble because its an unofficial badge, and its not approved.  Its part of the policy of being in the armed forces.  If they want a pony badge they ought to get it recognized and not go about breaking policy because they want to be publicly seen as bronies in the military.....

I don't have so much a problem with the show as I do with the way people are constantly taking this obsession to the extreme.  I've a feeling a lot of people will look back on this the same way we've done on a lot of things from the past and exclaim, "What were we thinking?"
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Flandor

Ah, I suppose I didn't realize there were people changing their names and going to other lengths like that... Time for Flandor to hit Google and get a little more informed.  Since I dropped out of college I find I miss a lot of these kinds of new pop culture items.  I guess I sympathize a little because I catch a lot of flack for my interests and taste in entertainment, but then I'm not about to change my name to Cornflower and obsess to the extreme.

Not to offend the original poster in any way, of course.  I'm guessing a lot of people like the show who aren't obsessed to that degree.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

I'm not crazy about my little pony shows, (I love the 80's though, and those were a big hit during that era). My sister used to love the older show when she was younger. If one of our members likes it, I'll respect that.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

DanielofRedwall

Well, because there is a topic for this...

I'm a brony. I admit it. At first I was a pony hater because I thought only trolls watched the show and I don't like trolls (for the most part that is, some trolls are really clever). Then I decided to watch an episode (the first one) to see what the fuss was about and... Yeah. I ended up enjoying it (but I wouldn't admit it at first). I liked the animation, character complexity (sort of), voice work, pop culture references and just the fun vibe to it. So I kept watching it. And then I found out one of my friends was a brony, and then met heaps of other friends who are bronies at school from him.

But for me it definitely isn't an obsession. I just enjoy watching the show. I would NEVER change my name to Fluttershy or whatever and I wouldn't even buy one of the dolls. I can't really see why people would change their names, that is taking it WAY too far. And the people wearing th badges in the army as well. That's taking it to the extreme.

For the record, Rainbow Dash is my favourite. :)

FTR: Kinda completely lost interest in this show, if you're reading back on this. Not exactly a "brony" anymore.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Redwallfan7

Quick question. You guys still don't mind that I posted my favorite shows, right?
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lutra

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on July 21, 2012, 03:18:35 PM
Quick question. You guys still don't mind that I posted my favorite shows, right?

No, should I be concerned?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwallfan7

Quote from: Lutra on July 21, 2012, 03:21:14 PM
Quote from: Redwallfan7 on July 21, 2012, 03:18:35 PM

No, should I be concerned?
No.... it's just that they're shows that are off air, so I figured they wouldn't be as popular. But I like shows and movies from the retro years, so...,

Mad Maudie

Rainbow dash!!!!!!!! she is awesome and i am like her. and i like princess luna.
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Something Horrifying

Must admit, I almost made a topic for this myself. I'm way behind, sadly, having not watched anything since near the beginning of season 2 (not that I lost interest, but I was watching it with someone and we haven't had chances to watch it together, and have been watching other things).

I think it's a little unfair to judge a fandom by its most extreme members, since pretty much any fandom is gonna have people that take it to those lengths. I'm certainly not obsessed with the show, but I'm definitely a fan and call myself a brony (or pegasister, though I usually hear brony used regardless of gender). The animation is great, the show is amusing, and I LOVE the idea of making a "girl's show" that appeals to everyone based on humor, interesting stories, an actual fantasy world with mythological creatures and compelling villains, and good lessons about friendship that almost always apply to people of any age or gender.

Last year for Halloween my friends and I were doing human MLP cosplays, but it fell through at the last second because my pink wig (I was Pinkie Pie) would NOT hold a curl, and my best friend had a problem with her Applejack wig too. I've seen some AMAZING cosplays though--Rainbow Dash usually particularly stands out, though I've seen some gorgeous Fluttershys and Raritys too.

If anyone is a fan and likes D&D, too, I recommend the comic Friendship is Dragons--MLP:FIM done as a D&D campaign. XD

There's also a hilarious and ADORABLE comic on tumblr about Princess Woona (tiny adorable Luna) on the moon called Moonstuck. I recommend this to everyone! The concept of how it's done as a choose-your-own-adventure style thing with text commands is a bit of a Homestuck reference, but don't worry, this comic is totally appropriate for all ages.

As for my favorite pony...oh man, I don't think I could even choose. Can I choose Woona from Moonstuck? XD
SEPULCHRITUUUUUUUUUUU-UUUDE!

Fanfics: Blackness (complete) --- Recovery (in progress)
Art: Art Thread --- MS Paint Redwall

Rusvul

lol, i thought that there might be a page about this somewhere. i am not a fan, but i know several people on deviantart who are, including my favorite composer, failpwned.  most of his recent music is mlp based. there is actually a group called "brony off" XD.

Redwallfan7

The commercials for the show look cute, although I don't watch the show.

MatthiasMan