News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Commentary on the Book Mossflower

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Since we recently discussed this book in the discord server and I finished rereading it about a month ago, one thing that stands out to me about Mossflower is the lack of unimportant characters given identities. Other books have several minor characters within the Abbey given names and roles, and the travelers meet many other characters on their journey; but in Mossflower, we only meet a handful of moles, otters and squirrels, no Loamhedge mice other than Germaine and Columbine, the few hares, and the only escaped slave named is TB. We know there are other Dibbuns than the Stickle's four hogbabes because it's said that they all go to stay with Gingivere and Sandingomm during the final battle. Having fewer background characters is neither a positive or a negative in my eyes; I just found it worth noting that the same supporting characters have an almost permanent presence (Pear, Barklad, Bula, Log-a-Log), and at the same time, it feels like there are less characters overall because less have names or descriptions, and this makes the great characters in the story stand out more.

The Skarzs

That is true; might be part of why I like it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

a crumb

That's something I never thought of before. I wonder now just how many of the books can be described that way.

Ashleg

The oringinal Redwall, surprisingly. It has a strong cast on both sides and deals with more than just one or two characters. Everything is fleshed out and you don't forget who anybeast is--unlike in the post-Taggerung books.

Rosie Willowwater

Welcome to the third book in our series readalong event: Mossflower!

For those who have not already seen, here are a couple things to note before you start discussing (with some new additions!):

• Please keep your posts here and in the entirety of the General Discussion board on-topic and constructive. When discussing topics like favorites, it always helps to give reasoning as to why you chose your favorite character, scene, etc. When in doubt, add more! It is always fun to see what other people think and respectfully debate with them.
  • If you would like to participate but don't own the book, there are a few resources that may be of use to you. Libby, Audible, and (of course) your local library, are all good ways to rent books/audiobooks for free (Audible is free only for the first 30-day trial). There is no harm in permanently expanding your Redwall collection though if you can afford it!
  • If you want even more Redwall discussion, please check out the Recorder on the Wall podcast episodes for the book! Every three weeks I will be posting the relevant episodes, so please check them out. Here are the episodes for Parts 1, 2, and 3 of Mossflower with a guest appearance from Skarzs himself!
  • NEW: If you have created any writing, art, voice acting, or any other form of media based on this book and/or its characters, send a link (or image if it is art) to me through PMs and I will share it in this post! Seeing how other people portray the story through their own work is a wonderful way to be drawn deeper into the story and wider Redwall community.

Finally, here are a few guiding questions for discussion if you are unsure what to talk about:

• Who is your favorite character, and why do you regard them as your favorite?
  • Who was your least favorite character, and why did they bother you?
  • What was your favorite scene? What stuck out to you about it?
  • What are your thoughts on the book as a whole? Where does it rank against other Redwall books and why?
  • Do you have any theories or small details others may not have picked up on when reading?
  • And anything else you want to mention!

Have fun, and happy discussing!

Rae

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 20, 2016, 01:36:22 AM
Ashleg was the horde's senior captain, and after he was gone his position became like a revolving door, so even though he didn't do much himself I'd think he was a little bit important.

An incredibly cursed revolving door, as well. If I'm remembering right just about anyone who wore his cloak after he flew the coop ended up kicking the bucket in some gruesome way or other.

On a semi-related note, after much calculation I've deduced that @Ashleg 's favorite character has to be...
Gonff.  ;)

Gonff the Mousethief

Alrighty, so I'm not finished with the book, but I have a bunch of thoughts and things to say that I thought I'd go ahead and throw them out.

So, I think what stuck out to me the most was not the story, the characters (though Gonff IS amazing ;D), or even the many, many, many incredibly described feasts: it was the writing style. I guess this stuck out to me so much because Redwall, apart from Lord of the Rings, influenced my writing style and utter passion for the art so, so much. So now, having written an entire book, looking back to one of my favorite legendary works was so interesting, intriguing, and honestly brilliant.

One thing that struck me pretty early on was how Brian really does tell the story like he's, well, telling it. You can hear the lofty, drawn-out sentences painting the wintery Mossflower scene as if you were listening to his English voice. Though, this also goes to the actions of characters and their dialogue. Sometimes it can feel a bit choppy. I know personally Martin's initial hatred for Tsarmina kinda jumped out as odd and confusing. However, as he thinks back to it, it started to make sense, being framed like this bold, initial line that would punch through if told orally. Now, I know this does have to do with his background and philosophy of painting pictures with words (something I have taken to heart), but no other author follows in this style. Most do have gripping details or standout phrases, yet many get off balance in upholding their story and the way to tell it. Mossflower truly does shine as an example of how that can be done right, even if some parts are a little rough.

Now, my next standout idea has to be the characters. I already mentioned Gonff, but DADGUM is he the standout. He really does capture the entire vibe of the story into one jovial person. Though put through terrible conditions, he does what he needs to survive and has an utter memorable blast in doing it--is that not the Corim through and through? I feel Gonff remains memorable not only due to his incessant songs, jokes, and quips, but the charm he gives the entire book. Honestly, it's why I named myself here after him and why Mossflower is my 2nd favorite book of all time. He's more than some random comic relief. He's the best guide through this oppresive, saddened world you could have.

Finally, (Geez, this sounds like an essay now, doesn't it?) one final thing that stuck out in a pretty massive way was the world. I cannot describe how, no matter the book, the world of Redwall makes me giddy with excitement. Something about the long lost castles built ages ago, the disconnected yet growing civilizations dotted about, the extravagant and adventurous terrain of forests and beaches, dungeons and volcanoes; it's just beautiful. I can remember longing to just walk along those trails and take in the world Brian had crafted. Really, that led to wwwaaaayyy too much time on the old Minecraft server, but my point remains. Not only is the story brimming with adventure and exploration, but so is the world at large. This setting is perfect at allowing all these brilliant tales to come to life. It sticks with you and sucks you end, influencing your very need to explore. Can you tell I love this book?

Anyway, those are my initial and general thoughts. Mossflower has just been so impactful to my writing career (something I'm basing my life around now while in college), so to come back and revisit it really did mean a lot. I'll also be sure to come back once I'm done and answer some of the more discussion-esque questions Rosie put up (which, also, shout out to her for setting it all up. Absolutely amazing job ;D).
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Rae

@Gonff the Mousethief I heartily agree with you about the writing style of the book. It's honestly what I aspire to when I eventually start writing more regularly... It's so vivid and descriptive, yet also hands-free in the sense that it doesn't describe every single little gritty detail. It gives you what information you need for your imagination to come alive and show you the scenes, rather than just monotonously describing to you what's happening. Also, you're absolutely right about Gonff! He's probably one of my favorite characters because of how lighthearted and funny he can be. Of course, he doesn't only serve as comic relief, and I recall getting very attached to him when first reading Mossflower.

Being an artist, I'm mostly drawn (no pun intended) to charismatic characters because of how fun they are to design and visualize. The mousethief is definitely no exception to this. Outgoing rogue that helps lift the spirits of his team with songs and comradery? Sign me up!

In short: You are a cultured individual and if I could I would shake your hand. Gonff most of what made the book fun for me personally and he has a special place in my heart. The entire team dynamic of Young Dinny, Martin, etc. just wouldn't be as fun or nearly the same without him.

Gonff the Mousethief

I'm glad we're on the same page. And I totally see what you mean about it being hands-free. Honestly, that's an issue I see myself being bogged down with a lot, so maybe reading back through this will help some. Oh, and if you ever wanted to share some of that part, I'm sure the artists on the Fan Art board would love to have you.

Now, I did have something that I forgot to mention earlier. One main thing that never got explained was the origins of the original Kotir castle. It is said that Verdauga just inhabited it, but my mind has been whirling on who could have built it before him and what what that meant for the rest of the Redwall world prior to the Greeneyes invasion. Like, did it have some connected to the mice from Loamhedge? Did an entire new race/civilization dominate the main Redwall continent years, decades, or centuries later? Is this series just one small chunk in a massive history that spans thousands of years? I'm sure Brian probably didn't expand it that far, but it does pose some interesting questions that bring out a lot of depth. It was probably just a way to give the building of Redwall some basis, but still. Just imagining that makes me wish we got a few more books to predate this one apart from Lord Brocktree and Martin the Warrior.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.