News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Ribbajack

Started by The Skarzs, December 27, 2016, 12:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Has anyone else read this book? I got it for Christmas, and it's very interesting. Not to spoil too much, but a Ribbajack is basically a monster created from a person's mind, and originates from Berma, and I wonder if it's something Brian actually heard about from his time as a sailor. Haven't finished the book, but I will. I definitely recommend others read it.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Feles

I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Ohh, Ribbajack. I haven't thought about that book in years. It's pretty good, although if you're easily spooked I'd recommend reading something else before bed. How far you in, Skar?

Feles

been a while, but it was good
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

The Skarzs

I'm most of the way through. I have other stuff to read and listen to, so it's not a priority, but I like all the stories in it so far. Refreshing to see Jacques' writing style in another application.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

I love the Ribbajack! It's been a while, and I can't find my copy anymore, but I still remember a few of the stories. The one where the girl goes to the library and sees a ghost, the one with the werewolf, the Ribbajack, and the one with the selkie. I think there were one or two more, but I don't remember them. My favorite thing about the stories in this collection was that they were paranormal and fantastical, but not too scary. They're not going to keep you up at night too afraid to sleep, but they are entertaining. The one with the library and the ghost has stuck in my memory a bit more than the others, maybe because we're all kind of afraid of going into uninhabited buildings alone, or because being in an empty school is always spooky. Has anyone else read this story? What do y'all say?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

a crumb

Yes, I thought that story was the creepiest.

Anyway, I finally acquired "The Ribbajack and Other Haunting Yarns" to read. The Ribbajack, preeminent among the tales Jacques tells in the book, is of course the standout tale, with the most memorable villain and jarring moral lesson. However, it actually left me a bit disappointed. Perhaps underappreciated are the other "haunting yarns" included in the small book, so allow me to draw attention to them. They are nice, light, short enjoyable reading.

The Mystery of Huma D'Este is reasonably clever. The All Ireland Champion Versus the Nye Add is quite twisty; Miggy Mags and the Malabar Sailor memorable. A Smile and a Wave was generic, but creepy.

Rosie's Pet has a rather pleasant ending, on the whole, compared to most of the other tales. However, it's the entire extended scenario of girl and wolf rampaging about town that I liked the most, because it's absurd. It's wonderfully pleasant to read Jacques when he constructs these sorts of scenarios. Ridiculousness run amok shows off his lively, dramatic writing style. You notice this in the Redwall books, as well, when things get a bit haywire at the Abbey. It's a portrait of the friendliest side of the worlds Jacques created –fun, imaginative, a bit silly, and above all, memorable thanks to the writing aesthetic.

I would briefly note, as has been pointed out elsewhere on this dear forum, the tales are not necessarily meant to be frightening or scary (I found A Smile and a Wave to be something of an exception to this), but haunting. They are emotionally impactful enough to be memorable, and that forces the remembrance of the morals due to the jarring nature of the otherworldly element. It's not quite "nightmare fuel" levels of haunting, like a lot of horror books/films, since it's directed at a younger audience, but I like their folklore-ish feel.

Ashleg

Cornflower MM

Mmmm I haven't read or even seen Ribbajack in forever, but I remember that it's not that long. Nowhere near as long as a Redwall book. I think?

The Skarzs

It's about half as long as an average Redwall book. The copy I have has larger pages, though, so it's hard to compare. (And since I don't have it with me right now I can't say for sure.)

I like what you said about them being haunting, @a crumb. That's what they are. They are sticky stories, compressed, but full of life. They're akin to fairytales.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

The Ribbajack is going to get us.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Or the Medusa is going to come to life and add us to her sculpture collection!
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Ribbajack

*SNAP!* *SNAP!* The Ribbajack half walks and half slithers into the room of forum members, jaws clamping in anticipation of a meal.

Suddenly the question is arrisen: how exactly does one get rid of a Ribbajack?!?