Good
0 (0%)
Bad
0 (0%)
Gray
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Maudie

I've always been fascinated by Verdauga. He strikes me as a stately, noble figure. He seemed to have a decency about him that no other vermin leader had. What do you think might have shaped his character this way?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Gonff the Mousethief

Well, I always liked him personally. To me his father is the most important Redwall character, but his connections to Redwall in the later books is pretty great. I always saw him as one of the reasons Gingivier (dunno how to spell it) turned out the way he did. He never was too harsh, but still firm.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

alexandre

What it seemed like to me is that he grew soft in his old age, to the point where near the end of his lifetime you could call him "good" but he did wage war on the woodlanders at one point
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

Wanting to conquer land/waging war on a tribe does not automatically make one evil, you'd have to know the backstory behind it (and we don't, not really).

Jetthebinturong

I think it was implied in Lord Brocktree that Verdauga as the youngest child became a conqueror to prove himself and impress his father.

That would make an amazing story tbh. The young, wide-eyed Verdauga becomes a general and eagerly leads a war against the woodlanders of Mossflower. But when he manages to conquer them, a few years later, he realises that being a conqueror or a leader is not all its cracked up to be.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

Quote from: Jet the binturong on February 02, 2017, 04:27:34 PM
I think it was implied in Lord Brocktree that Verdauga as the youngest child became a conqueror to prove himself and impress his father.

That would make an amazing story tbh. The young, wide-eyed Verdauga becomes a general and eagerly leads a war against the woodlanders of Mossflower. But when he manages to conquer them, a few years later, he realises that being a conqueror or a leader is not all its cracked up to be.

So then he gets a lot of poison in stock and waits for his daughter to pull the trigger.

The Skarzs

Verduga is interesting. He recognized Martin's spirit, and it seemed he actually admired it, and warned his daughter of him. He obviously cared enough for his children to try to help them and teach them. . .
"Gingivere! Stand up to your sister!"

I'm not sure if he took Kotir by force, since, what I understand, it was abandoned before he got there, and his main focus of attack was on the woodlanders who obviously didn't want him to rule. When he was vicotrious, he was content to let them live on the land and grow crops, as long as they gave a percentage to Kotir, much like most kings did in Europe. It was really only after he got sick and Tsarmina started having more authority that the woodlanders really decided to turn their worsening situation around and do something.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Groddil

To call Verdauga 'good' is to really stretch the sense of the word. While he is A Lighter Shade of Black than other villains, what mainly sets him apart is how he doesn't kill woodlanders on sight, and is among the tiny group of characters, vermin or otherwise, who keeps prisoners. That being said, he did build an army, built it out of the typical 'vicious idiots' that make up 95% of the vermin population, and used it to subjugate woodlanders. As we see in the beginning of Mossflower, he used his army to take what he needed by force, and left the woodlanders to starve. Why else would Gonff steal from the Kotir larders and bring food to the Stickles? Luke's Tribe was up on the northern shores because they had to flee when Verdauga took over, otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive. The population of Mossflower dwindled drastically before Mossflower began, because everyone had the choice, like Luke, of staying and dying, or running away.

While Verdauga is definitely smarter and less ruthless than other vermin leaders, he is not good. Good characters do not take what they need by force and leave their subjects to starve.

Feles

Quote from: Groddil on February 06, 2017, 12:25:07 AMLuke's Tribe was up on the northern shores because they had to flee when Verdauga took over, otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive. The population of Mossflower dwindled drastically before Mossflower began, because everyone had the choice, like Luke, of staying and dying, or running away.
When was that said?
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: Inquisitor on February 06, 2017, 02:53:40 AM
Quote from: Groddil on February 06, 2017, 12:25:07 AMLuke's Tribe was up on the northern shores because they had to flee when Verdauga took over, otherwise they wouldn't be able to survive. The population of Mossflower dwindled drastically before Mossflower began, because everyone had the choice, like Luke, of staying and dying, or running away.
When was that said?

During a song in Legend of Luke I think, it was about the church that's there. They mentioned afterword that Martin Elder lived there, and then had to leave once Verdauga invaded.

I labeled Greeneyes as bad because he's conqueror who defeated the woodlanders in battle, taking the region and destroying any resistance they was attempted. I wont say he was evil, but he certainly wasn't good. In what little we see of him we can gleam that he was a good general, and a great leader, but that doesn't change the fact that he was still a warlord.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Groddil

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 06, 2017, 03:02:48 AM
Quote from: Inquisitor on February 06, 2017, 02:53:40 AM
When was that said?

During a song in Legend of Luke I think, it was about the church that's there. They mentioned afterword that Martin Elder lived there, and then had to leave once Verdauga invaded.

I labeled Greeneyes as bad because he's conqueror who defeated the woodlanders in battle, taking the region and destroying any resistance they was attempted. I wont say he was evil, but he certainly wasn't good. In what little we see of him we can gleam that he was a good general, and a great leader, but that doesn't change the fact that he was still a warlord.

Mmm. I voted for gray, but he is definitely the darker end of that spectrum. I wouldn't call him complete evil like some other warlords, but like Sand said, he was still a warlord.

Feles

ultimately, i don't think we know enough about Verdauga to make an informed decision on where he is on the spectrum of evil.
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

The Skarzs

Definitely.
Like Jet said, this would make an epic story.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

I don't think Verdauga was mentioned in that song. If he was, I never registered the connection.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Hickory

Groddil: Actually, Verdauga took half of their farmed materials in exchange for letting them live on his land. It was Tsarmina who starved them.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.