How did groups of creatures start?

Started by redwallgurl, January 25, 2012, 09:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwallgurl

I know how Redwall came to be but what about the other groups and clans? For example What about the otter clans and the Guosim start?
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Skipper

well i guess they started to travel in groups and then the GUOSIM and Otter Clans formed from there

redwallgurl

yeah but i mean once they traveled together how did the rules start like what i think is pointless is that the skipper had to be a boy i dont get that

Skipper

maybe some female did something bad and that caused them to make that rule *hint= that would be an intresting fanfic*

redwallgurl

Skipper

you could say that, maybe they didn't want to risk the thing happening again, though i remember Bula from mossflower acting as second-in-command for Skipper even thnough she was a female

Lily

I don't remember it specifically stating anywhere that the Skipper had to be male, I think that's just the way Mr Jacques wrote the series. Most of the tribal leaders seemed to be male, like the Foremoles and Log-a-logs. That's traditionally the way things seem to be in the animal kingdom.

I would like to see a story about a female Skipper though. :)

Bragoon

Actually, Lily, in High Rhulain, Tiriah's father says that she can't become the Skipper because all Skippers are males.  I wish I had a copy of High Rhulain to quote, because I can tell you pretty close to where he actually said it, but I don't own one yet.

It's just never really mentioned.  With several otter holts, they're the result of an otter couple having many children, who in turn had many children, and so one and so forth.  The Guosim are an even more long-standing group than Redwall itself, although perhaps not in Mossflower.  The Log-a-log in Mossflower is the best example of this that I've read thus far, but we'll see what Lord Brocktree holds for me. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Lily

Ah, thanks for that, Bragoon! I've only read High Rhulain once, and that was when it came out a few years ago, so I'm going to have to look that up when I get home this evening.

Bragoon

It's early on, shortly after they brought Pandion to Redwall, I believe. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

redwallgurl

but what if a guosim leaders oldest is a girl then it becomes a girl right

Skipper

i belive you can have female GUOSIM leaders as i remembr the log-a-log in lord brocktree being a female, though i guess she was an only child, if she had a younger brother he would have probably become the leader

Bragoon

Well, I don't know.  I've read nineteen Redwall books but I haven't yet come across a female Log-a-log, so I would assume that the eldest son inherits the Log-a-log title.  But again, I still have three to finish, so I don't know for sure.  
(typed out before Skipper's post)

Lord Brocktree is the one I'm in the middle of, so I haven't reached the Guosim yet. 

Dotti

Yep, the Log-a-log in LB is a girl.  Her name is Gren.  As far as I know, I think she's the only female Log-a-log.  Haven't there been a few female Foremoles? I seem to remember one or two. 
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques