News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Southsward

Started by DanielofRedwall, June 27, 2011, 10:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

Southsward was such an epic region, pity it was only in one book. Maybe he wrote another book about it, but it didn't get published?  ???

Anyway, I was just wondering about the the general history of this place. Just history of it in general.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Osu

I don't think Southsward has ever been mentioned outside of The Bellmaker. :( The only thing I can say for sure is that it's almost four seasons march (I believe) south of the abbey. I find Southsward interesting for the monarchy, though - since the king and queen adopted non-squirrels as children, it's entirely plausible the kingdom isn't always ruled by squirrels. Kind of like the abbey, where the ruling paw changes species... I like this idea very much. There's so much I could do with it... :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Osu on June 27, 2011, 04:56:51 PM
I don't think Southsward has ever been mentioned outside of The Bellmaker. :( The only thing I can say for sure is that it's almost four seasons march (I believe) south of the abbey. I find Southsward interesting for the monarchy, though - since the king and queen adopted non-squirrels as children, it's entirely plausible the kingdom isn't always ruled by squirrels. Kind of like the abbey, where the ruling paw changes species... I like this idea very much. There's so much I could do with it... :D

As soon as I read the part of it being about four seasons march from the abbey I looked at the Redwall map that's above my bed. (Yes, I have put up a Redwall map over my bed.)
I'd say the shortest distance there would down the South Path, across the Great South Stream, and just go through the forest and come out at Castle Floret.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Matthias720

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 27, 2011, 06:08:56 PM
Quote from: Osu on June 27, 2011, 04:56:51 PM

As soon as I read the part of it being about four seasons march from the abbey I looked at the Redwall map that's above my bed. (Yes, I have put up a Redwall map over my bed.)
I'd say the shortest distance there would down the South Path, across the Great South Stream, and just go through the forest and come out at Castle Floret.
I have that map, too. It's over the bookcase near the foot of my bed.

DanielofRedwall

Yep, I have the map and riddler, it is still in the cover thing though, I just pull it out when I need to.

Redwall Musician

Don't they go south to Loamhedge? Or is that another region? Because they go to Loamhedge twice: Once in Mattimeo and once in Loamhedge.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 29, 2011, 02:59:11 PM
Don't they go south to Loamhedge? Or is that another region? Because they go to Loamhedge twice: Once in Mattimeo and once in Loamhedge.

And they come from Loamhedge in Mossflower.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Tiria Wildlough

I think Loamhedge is quite far away.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Icefire

I thought they went South to get to Loamhedge as well, but it seems to me that Southsward is WAAAAYYYY farther South than Loamhedge. And then farther South than Southsward is the original home of Mariel and Joseph the Bellmaker...I wish Brian Jacques had gone into more detail about where they were from.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Log-a-Log

I always thought that Southsward was south along the coast, while Loamhedge was farther inland
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Icefire

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 05, 2011, 04:50:10 PM
I always thought that Southsward was south along the coast, while Loamhedge was farther inland
My thoughts exactly!

Captain Tammo

It's too bad southward wasn't in many books... I wish Brian made a book that would take place throughout the entire redwall world! It'd be a reaaaallly long book, but I'm sure it'd also be the best ;D
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Icefire

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 05, 2011, 11:17:57 PM
It's too bad southward wasn't in many books... I wish Brian made a book that would take place throughout the entire redwall world! It'd be a reaaaallly long book, but I'm sure it'd also be the best ;D
That would be cool!

daskar666

It seems like Brian initially thought of Loamhenge as being directly to the south (and Southward being even farther) since Mariel's journey south wasn't described in the book and Joseph and co. went by the sea, plus the Roaringburn was obviously intended to greatly speed up the journey and from what I remember they only got there after the final battle started, but in Loamhedge he changed its location to be to the east. Also I don't remember the Great South Stream in Mattimeo.
BTW is it just me or was Loamhedge called Loamhenge in Mossflower and Mattimeo?

DanielofRedwall

It was called Malkariss in Mattimeo, but that's only because thats what the evil guys who took over it called it.