The Empire

Started by AbbotAlf0805, July 19, 2012, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbotAlf0805

Ok i meant i finished the book yesterday but ill look for a link
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Lutra

Given the fact Redwall is based heavily on medieval times, your standard form of rule of the time, is an individual manor, ruled by a lord.  The subjects underneath are required to work and provide food and goods for the Lord in return for protection from invaders.  This is exactly what Kotir and Lord Verdauga fall under.  ;)  An empire is one where the ones in power want to control more than just what they see.  You never gather that Verdauga or even Tsarmina for that matter, want any more control beyond the land they own...and that is the immediate land around Kotir.  They didn't want to lose control (a Lord wouldn't want to lose control) but weren't interested in anything beyond the woods.  Tsarmina would've gone after her brother if you were to compare these people to empire builders.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Leatho Shellhound

Yes I think what Lutra said is right but it was still a cool thought....Do you think there are any other Empires in the Redwall book?
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Lutra

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on July 20, 2012, 03:35:50 AM
Yes I think what Lutra said is right but it was still a cool thought....Do you think there are any other Empires in the Redwall book?

Nope....I didn't gather that any individual wanted an empire in the series.  Conquering or ruling over one place is not the same as building up a necessary army with the sole purpose of invading and conquering others. ;)  No group ever seemed to have enough individuals to protect their home AND try and conquer someone else.  There was always a shortage somewhere, whether it was individuals or resources. ;) 
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Flandor

Ublaz did go by the title of Emperor, though.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lutra

Quote from: Flandor on July 20, 2012, 03:54:07 AM
Ublaz did go by the title of Emperor, though.

While that may be true, he didn't act like one....sitting on his island, keeping control of his timber stock.  Ublaz seemed pretty content to just stay where he was and have others do his bidding/plundering.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Flandor

Oh I do agree with you there, Lutra, I was just pointing out that he was (I think) the only baddie to call himself an emperor.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

also, not to be rude, but the reason I don't think it's based off of Star Wars is because the Redwall books aren't sci fi.  If they were, I could see it as a possibility.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

AbbotAlf0805

N'kay just wanted yall's thoughts on this.  :)
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Ajc3000fox

Quote from: Lutra on July 20, 2012, 03:30:18 AM
;)  An empire is one where the ones in power want to control more than just what they see.  You never gather that Verdauga or even Tsarmina for that matter, want any more control beyond the land they own...and that is the immediate land around Kotir. 
Well not exactly....If an empire was simply a power that wanted more land then an empire couldn't really exsist, because there is always more to control, right?

An Empire is deffined as a Power the controls several other former powers. For example The british empire was ruled by the british, but consisted of more then just England. It was made of India, America, and many other island states and and even hong kong at one point. But Kotir still isn't an empire. They may rule mosslower, but thats it. They wouldn't Become an Empire intill consuming yet another kingdom.

Ublaz did go by the title of Emperor, it is sorta true, he rulled all the other pirates. And maybe some other islands.
"The way is dangerous, take this." " A gift? Will it protect me?" No, a sword is never a gift. It only brings death. It is a curse and gives you the duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves. I hope one day you will forgive me."

https://www.facebook.com/RedwallSeries

Lord Gorath

Was'nt Ungatt Trunn an emperor? I mean, he tried to conquer Salamandastron, and that was more then he had.

UNKN0WN

Quote from: AbbotAlf0805 on July 19, 2012, 06:49:25 PM
I did some research and Brian based them off the Empire from Star Wars.

copy cat

Kitsune

I don't see the connection between Star Wars and Kotir... and I think it was more of a kingdom, not an empire.

Romsca

This is so interesting! But let's all get this straight first: Verdauga was not evil. Verdauga was AWESOME. 8)  Tsarmina was the one who was evil. Careful what you say about Verdauga, HE'S MY FAVORITE WILDCAT OF ALL TIME, IN THE REDWALL SERIES.

Leatho Shellhound

Ungatt Trunn (spelling?) and his family were like Empire builders.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner