News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Dark Forest

Started by Galedeep, July 02, 2011, 11:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galedeep

The Dark Forest was a place some of the earlier novels used. It was a place that woodland animals believed dead creatures went. What are your guy's thoughts on this place?

Osu

Hard to say. Interesting concept of a place, I think. The characters in the books make reference to dark forest, "hellgates," and a place of sunny streams and hills (or something like that), so there's also the question of whether or not they consider these three different places or just one. If they believe in three, an argument might be made for hellgates/sunny!place being one concept most people are familiar with, and dark forest being something else where, maybe, creatures can come back from the dead... kind of like how Martin and the badger lords do.

Or more than likely they all refer to the same thing - afterlife - and that's all there is to it.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Tiria Wildlough

They seem to use Dark Forest very loosely, as a  place where both good and bad animals go, but sometimes they use 'hellgates' for bad ones.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Matthias720

If I remember correctly, Dark Forest was used to refer to the afterlife for any creature except for the truly evil (any main baddie or a high level mook).

Galedeep

Something interesting I noticed in the books, the dark forest is only mentioned in (correct me if i'm wrong) the novels set in the pre-redwall era.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Dark Forest is mentioned throughout the whole series, if not in every book. Hellgates is similar in appearance
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

I always thought that "hellgates" or I'm sure it'd be safe just to use "hell" is, obviously, the bad place, and the "sunny slopes" are inside of dark forest. I think of dark forest is just like Mossflower but minus the vermin.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwall Musician

Sunny Slopes: Heaven
Hellgates: Hell
Dark Forest: The After Life
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Brian Jacques said otherwise. In the Ask Brian Files, he mentioned neither Hellgates nor Dark Forest as being either heaven or hell. Very specifically, and said they were simply an afterlife referred to during the series.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 04, 2011, 01:55:26 AM
Brian Jacques said otherwise. In the Ask Brian Files, he mentioned neither Hellgates nor Dark Forest as being either heaven or hell. Very specifically, and said they were simply an afterlife referred to during the series.

That's odd though. I don't understand why mr. Jacques would say hellgates isn't hell. I'd imagine when some of the creatures say "I'm going to send you to hellgates" they mean the gates of hell.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Wot Wot!

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 04, 2011, 02:41:36 AM
Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 04, 2011, 01:55:26 AM

That's odd though. I don't understand why mr. Jacques would say hellgates isn't hell. I'd imagine when some of the creatures say "I'm going to send you to hellgates" they mean the gates of hell.

I wonder if "hellgates" was a colloquialism he picked up, just like "blood n' vinegar" and "Hawayyy the braw"...
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Osu

I think hellgates was something that came up during the first Redwall novel - before he had everything sorted out for the series - and then just stuck. It's something every reader can identify (bad version of the afterlife) but isn't meant to allude to the Christian hell, exactly. It's always referred to as hellgates, one word.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Galedeep

I don't get it, how can Hellgates not be a reference to hell? I just don't quite understand your point.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Hellgates is Hellgates, Hell is Hell.

*shrugs* That makes sense to me.

Wot Wot!

Well, we know he was a big fan of Homer and the Iliad, perhaps he was a big fan of Dante's Inferno as well, which feature the gates to hell with the inscription "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.