Is redwall A religous establishment?

Started by xxmpxx, August 17, 2012, 06:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxmpxx

As we all know redwall is an abbey. Does that mean it is religiously affiliated? I've never seen any direct mention of it but there is circumstantial evidence to point to it.

Skipper

Well in the book Redwall you get more of a abbey feel but I think in all the other books it loses that feel.

W0NWILL

Once, (In ask Brian?) Brian said that there is no religion practiced in Redwall.

xxmpxx

Tannsrall

I've wondered this before, but always came to the conclusion that they don't have a relgion.
if you not shoopid then don' ask shoopid questions - mousebabe from Bellmaker

I am the law!

-

Flandor

Brian Jacques stated in an interview (listed on this official site):

"There is no religion in my stories and no hidden meanings.  What you see is what you get.  The abbey is just a place of peace and comradeship where creatures choose to live together."

End of story.  I don't think there's anything else to be said about it.  I greatly dislike the idea of religion in Redwall.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

Right. Brian said that the animals don't have any religion in the Abbey what so ever. Brian did this to avoid controversy because not everyone thinks the same about religious topics.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lutra

While it is true, there is no official religion, you do get a sense of religious order from the first book, as others have said.  Remember, it was never meant to be big, so there are all sorts of unusual things/items in that first book that you've not seen again.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Yep, I think that it's an Abbey because they're peaceful.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Ajc3000fox

Quote from: Lutra on August 18, 2012, 11:38:24 AM
While it is true, there is no official religion, you do get a sense of religious order from the first book, as others have said.  Remember, it was never meant to be big, so there are all sorts of unusual things/items in that first book that you've not seen again.
bingo
"The way is dangerous, take this." " A gift? Will it protect me?" No, a sword is never a gift. It only brings death. It is a curse and gives you the duty to defend those who cannot defend themselves. I hope one day you will forgive me."

https://www.facebook.com/RedwallSeries

Griffen

yep there is no religion in Redwall Abbey, yet...

but remember that AbbotAlf0805's signiture is I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ. so that might be why he has been gone for about a month now.... perhaps he's found a way to Redwall Abbey and is sharing the good news

;)

:0

XD

xxmpxx

i didnt think there was i was just curious. ;D

Ruggarion Lunaro

I think Brian Jacques was looking at the more peaceful side of abbey dwellers, and from looking at the map, isn't the abbey essentially Kotir castle? it's in literally the same place. If you look a the characteristics of a castle, it has a great hall, walls, a big courtyard and many other rooms. The abbey is pretty much the same as that, but has had things that one might find in a religious establishment to show their stories and history. And the courtyard would be big enough to have a few trees and a pond in it.
Our imagination is but a projection of existence.

Trigoma

It is almost parallel with Catholicism. But it is still comfortable for anyone to read no matter their religion. Brian Jacques did I good job of keeping a neutral feel in all of the books.

~Trig~
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

SpiderMonkey

In my opinion, it is definitely a religion.  I don't know If Brian wanted it to be like that, but it is, at least from my perspective.  Martin seems to be the main being they worship, he helped found redwall after all!