Is redwall A religous establishment?

Started by xxmpxx, August 17, 2012, 06:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbotAlf0805

Quote from: AxeHound on September 23, 2012, 09:54:23 PM
When did anyone say that they were evil because Redwall wasn't a religious establishment? You were the first person to even insinuate that!

EDIT: Excuse me. I reread that and it sounded rude. I didn't mean to be. I was just trying to make a point.
I agree. Redwall isn't exactly a religious place of peaceful Catholics or a pagan shrine. It's just a place of refuge for the peaceful woodlanders of Mossflower country.
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

SaberTruth

I have thought quite a bit about this over the last few years as I have been reading the books. Brian Jacques did not put religion into the Redwall books and Redwall Abbey is only the name of the building, and is used to describe what it looks like. He did not want it to be exactly like a castle because castles where used for defense, and not much work was put into making them look nice, however, Abbeys where not meant for fighting, and were made to look nice (ex. orchards, flower beds, architecture) but abbeys still had a strong wall around them to keep robbers and small attacks out (if you notice, none of the armies that attack Redwall are equipped to take a castle, but could take the abbey).
I could say a lot more, but don't have the time right now...

321tumbler

I don't think it is, but I couldn't get St. Ninians until I read Luke the Warrior.

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: 321tumbler on November 23, 2012, 01:42:09 PM
I don't think it is, but I couldn't get St. Ninians until I read Luke the Warrior.

Yes same here, btw I think you ment to write The Legend of Luke.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Kitsune

Quote from: Ruggarion Lunaro on August 19, 2012, 07:35:20 PM
I think Brian Jacques was looking at the more peaceful side of abbey dwellers, and from looking at the map, isn't the abbey essentially Kotir castle? it's in literally the same place. If you look a the characteristics of a castle, it has a great hall, walls, a big courtyard and many other rooms. The abbey is pretty much the same as that, but has had things that one might find in a religious establishment to show their stories and history. And the courtyard would be big enough to have a few trees and a pond in it.
In the books, once Kotir was destroyed by the lake, they built their abbey there. Different building, same location.

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: PluggFiretail on December 14, 2012, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: Ruggarion Lunaro on August 19, 2012, 07:35:20 PM
I think Brian Jacques was looking at the more peaceful side of abbey dwellers, and from looking at the map, isn't the abbey essentially Kotir castle? it's in literally the same place. If you look a the characteristics of a castle, it has a great hall, walls, a big courtyard and many other rooms. The abbey is pretty much the same as that, but has had things that one might find in a religious establishment to show their stories and history. And the courtyard would be big enough to have a few trees and a pond in it.
In the books, once Kotir was destroyed by the lake, they built their abbey there. Different building, same location.

Yes remember in the book The long patrol the south wall falls in because it was built over the great tower of the castle Kotir.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

The Shade

Yeah, redwall is basically a rebuild of kotir, but as a peacful abbey.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Or mayhapz Kotir iz bazically a rebuild o' Redwall...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 11, 2013, 09:37:57 PM
Or mayhapz Kotir iz bazically a rebuild o' Redwall...
Kotir was before Redwall. And the only part of Redwall was built on Kotir was the West wall, as stated in The Long Patrol.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Rusvul

Maybe Redwall's West Wall was above Kotir's gatehouse, which could have been in the West Wall of Kotir, making them in the same location?

Kitsune

Quote from: PluggFiretail on December 14, 2012, 04:44:15 PM

Rusvul

Well, yes, we know that Redwall's wall was above part of Old Kotir. But I'm suggesting, perhaps their foundations were laid in the same place that Kotir's were.

The Shade

Not in exactly the same place, only the west wall.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Rusvul

How do we know that? And if Kotir's West Wall was in the same location as Redwall's, then the rest of the building would be similarly placed.

Shadowed One

Redwall is probably much bigger than Kotir.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc