News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What Redwall-like books are there

Started by daskar666, July 10, 2011, 06:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumo the Wolperting

If you are into graphic novels/comic books, I highly recommend Mouse Guard by David Peterson.  It's been published for a few years now so there's a fair bit of material available, but I only learned about it last summer when I actually met Peterson and his wife at the Phoenix Comic-Con.  Wonderful couple, we talked a bit about Brian Jacques, his passing, and what he meant to us.  Then I bought a full set of his works, each with a personalized doodle and autograph. XD

The art and coloring in them is phenomenal, and while the plots in some are a bit bare-bones, it's definitely worth a read.  Redwall artist Sean Rubin has also contributed to the series as well :)

Nightfire

Oh, I LOVED Mouse Guard! It was epic, as far as I'm concerned! Thanks for reminding me I need to read it again, Rumo! :)
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Skipper

I would seriously try Welkins Weasels (The name of the series) it's really intresting and sort of redwall like in a way but more modern.

Ross Duckworth

I moved my post to the front lawn.

Maudie

^That post probably belongs in the Orchard, which is a sub board in the Front Lawns for advertising personal works, but I guess it could go here to.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Redwaller

Mistmantle Chronicles - AWESOME! But my library has only the first three books.

Ga'Hoole - Great

Vilu Daskar

The Mistmantle Chronicles by M.I.Mcallester

I think I spelled the last name wrong
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Redwaller

phoenixfoden

Quote from: Skipper on August 25, 2012, 07:58:14 AM
I would seriously try Welkins Weasels (The name of the series) it's really intresting and sort of redwall like in a way but more modern.
id highly reccomend theese,my faves ;D
also walter moers books,they are probly the most entertaing and amazing boooks ever,and he does his own artwork for them  ;)

Ferrousferret

I know there's a lot of them, but the only ones I've heard of personally are The Guardians of Ga'hoole, Mouseguard & Watership Down- the last one only because every single Redwall book has that page of reviews that always has the one mentioning Watership Down...

Buzz_Bumble

The Watership Down movie is also available on DVD, as is the British Tales From Watership Down TV series. Both are animated. Of course the Ga'hoole story was also recently made into a movie and is availbale on DVD (and happens to be playing on New Zealand TV soon).

I posted this list in April in the Whose your favorite author Besides Brian Jacques topic, but it is probably a better fit here ...

These books cover various age groups. Some are similar to Redwall (talking animals using buildings and tools, etc.), while some are like Watership Down (talking animals, but more natural), and some are real nature stories (the animals don't talk, but they're fictional stories). Some of them I only have or read one book from the series, so I don't know how good the series are.

In no particular order ...

Welkin Weasels series by Garry Kilworth (two trilogies)

Watership Down by Richard Adams (plus a "Tales" of sequel)

Duncton Chronicles series by William Horwood

The Woodstock Saga trilogy by Michael Tod

Mammoth series by Stephen Baxter

The Cold Moons by Aeron Clement

Storm Haven by Robert Telford

One for Sorrow, Two for Joy by Clive Woodall

Silverwing Saga by Kenneth Oppel

The Battle for Beaver Lake by Geoffrey Malone

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (plus sequels by other authors)

The Rescuers by Margery Sharp

The Rats of NIMH series by Robert C. O'Brien

Frank & the Black Hamster of Narkiz by Livi Michael

Deptford Mice series by Robin Jarvis (plus two other series: Deptford Histories and Deptford Mouselettes)

Mismantle Chronicles by M. I. McAllister

Hermux Tantamoq Adventures series by Michael Hoeye

Geronimo Stilton series by Elisabetta Dami (and second series with a female character)

Stuart Little series by E.B. White

Owls of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky (plus a second series about wolves)

Farthing Wood series by Colin Dann

The Wombles series by Elisabeth Beresford (not sure if these really count)

Fledger by Nicholas Barrett

Two's Company by Joyce Stranger

Chia the Wildcat by Joyce Stranger

Finn the Wolfhoud by A. J. Dawson

The Beach Dogs by Colin Dann

Run With the Wind trilogy by Tom McCaughren

Night World by Brian Carter

Beak of the Moon by Philip Temple

Callanish by William Horwood

Tarka the Otter by Henry Williamson

The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

I know there's a lot more I haven't got / read, and of course there's also lots of movies and TV shows, many by Disney and Don Bluth.

Rusvul

I liked the Warriors series, but I was coming directly from reading redwall. And, in my opinion, the Warriors books aren't nearly as well written. They have a great storyline, but I just don't like them as much as Redwall. I couldn't read the Mistmantle Chronicles, I stopped right around the part where
Place I found the book too horrific
That mean kid was talking about how they cull all the weak babies. Anything that has to do with killing something helpless, especially a baby, I find absolutely horrific and immediately stop. I don't care if there's a solution or not, I just can't and won't read it.
[close]

Guardians of Gahoole is an amazing series, it's just really really good. Most of the time, when somebody makes a video game off a movie, it's not very good, but I would also reccomend the Wii Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'hoole game. It's surprisingly good, I really love the combat and flight.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Rumo ftw

Walter Moers's books on Zamonia are all really good, but somewhat detached from Redwall, not completely alike.
baby turtle forever

phoenixfoden

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on July 13, 2013, 03:58:38 PM
Rumo ftw

Walter Moers's books on Zamonia are all really good, but somewhat detached from Redwall, not completely alike.
yay! Somone else who likes them!
I know there not exatly like them,but they are great books and i love the artwork  :)

Lutra

I forgot about Silverwing from Ken Oppel.  That was an interesting read...I think I read the sequel that followed the first book, but no further.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra