News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Kitsune

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on March 27, 2017, 04:20:49 PM
So, I've been considering switching from homeschool to private school. Do you guys have any pointers or warnings you could give me, or any reasons I should just stay homeschooled?

-It's expensive.
-It's where stuck-up kids go.
-You lose all innocence.
-You might get better education and opportunities. Might.

Rosie Willowwater

I expected these responses but I was hoping I wouldn't get them.

Quote from: Peony on March 27, 2017, 06:25:07 PM
Because any school system will fill your head full of useless junk? And you can't really learn it at your own pace.

I agree with half of that statement. But the way I'm learning at home isn't sticking so I think I should at least try to learn the way school teaches. Also I went to the school for a year couple years ago and was pleased with the results I found. The people were nice and the classes were challenging in a good way.

Quote from: alexandre on March 27, 2017, 06:57:42 PM
So, I've been considering switching from homeschool to private school. Do you guys have any pointers or warnings you could give me, or any reasons I should just stay homeschooled?

I went to a private school from Kindergarten till 4'th grade, and from what I recall, Everyone (or almost everyone) there are complete snobs.

Private school has a reputation for being more academically advanced than public school, and I don't know how true that is, but I can tell you that from my experience, the atmosphere is really negative and awful

But that could just be the one I went to. The one I went to was a Catholic school, which shouldn't be a problem. But in time, it became a place for parents to isolate their children from other religions and ideas, and less of a place for learning more than in public school.

Though that is just my experience. For all I know, most private schools could be great places to learn.  :-\

I'm really sorry your experience was not the greatest. :-\

Well, I myself like the religious aspects of the Catholic school. I am a strong believer of Christianity/the Catholic faith and I like to learn as much as I can about it while being surrounded by others like me.

I hope you're in a better environment now Al *Hugs*

Quote from: Kitsune on March 27, 2017, 08:52:03 PM

-It's expensive.
-It's where stuck-up kids go.
-You lose all innocence.
-You might get better education and opportunities. Might.

Not the one I'm going to. Luckily.

I'm already surrounded by those kind of people. A couple more can't hurt.

I can't imagine it.

Well, to that I agree. It doesn't change much from homeschooling to private schooling in that spectrum.

Thanks for your input guys. *hugs*

Grond

Quote from: alexandre on March 27, 2017, 06:57:42 PM

I went to a private school from Kindergarten till 4'th grade, and from what I recall, Everyone (or almost everyone) there are complete snobs.

Private school has a reputation for being more academically advanced than public school, and I don't know how true that is, but I can tell you that from my experience, the atmosphere is really negative and awful

But that could just be the one I went to. The one I went to was a Catholic school, which shouldn't be a problem. But in time, it became a place for parents to isolate their children from other religions and ideas, and less of a place for learning more than in public school.

Though that is just my experience. For all I know, most private schools could be great places to learn.  :-\

Yeah they also have like a million pointless rules in private schools, but the curriculum is marginally harder than in public school- but just a little not nearly as much as they make it out and plus universities could care less whether you come from a private or public school so they really are pointless- basically overhyped money pits for the rich... That's my experience with the two anyway. Never been to Catholic or any religious schools though and id probably go crazy there because I'm not a religious person...

alexandre

Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Rosie Willowwater

No, the public schools around where I live are not the most inviting places.

321tumbler

IT'S SCIENCE FAIR TIME, FOLKS! GET EXCITED! And I need help coming up with a project title. Coming up with the title is one of my favorite parts. I am fairly known for having decent names. Here are my previous titles:
"Melt Down"
"Pickle Power"
"Refracting Nutrition"
and... "The Best Way to Die" (this still stands as my favorite)

Any ideas would be appreciated. I apologize ahead of time if I say, "That's a good idea, but I don't think so."

Oh, y'know maybe knowing what I'm planning to do may help. It's going to be measuring the affects of magnets on the flow of diamagnetic liquids such as water. My experiments based off of something like this: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/print_project_1209_57 I'm going to make it more detailed. I will definitely take each measurement more than once to ensure accuracy and all, but I'm also thinking of different liquids to use. One idea I had was maybe trying out different fruit juices? We'll see about that one. Either way, there will be a lot more in the variable department. OH OH TEMPERATURE. MAYBE I'LL CHANGE THE TEMPERATURE. (Yes, I did just think about that while typing and now I'm getting really excited so I'm going to post this before I start screaming my head off. I must go research.)

Nadaz, voice of the host

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on March 28, 2017, 01:38:21 PM
No, the public schools around where I live are not the most inviting places.
stay homeschooled!!!!!!!
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Lady Ashenwyte

Though I've heard some nasty things about public school, I think going to schools that are public or private offer an opportunity to broaden one's perspective  which'll help prepare you for the future. Don't live in America so take my word with grains of salt.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: 321tumbler on December 28, 2017, 11:25:17 PM
IT'S SCIENCE FAIR TIME, FOLKS! GET EXCITED! And I need help coming up with a project title. Coming up with the title is one of my favorite parts. I am fairly known for having decent names. Here are my previous titles:
"Melt Down"
"Pickle Power"
"Refracting Nutrition"
and... "The Best Way to Die" (this still stands as my favorite)

Any ideas would be appreciated. I apologize ahead of time if I say, "That's a good idea, but I don't think so."

Oh, y'know maybe knowing what I'm planning to do may help. It's going to be measuring the affects of magnets on the flow of diamagnetic liquids such as water. My experiments based off of something like this: http://www.all-science-fair-projects.com/print_project_1209_57 I'm going to make it more detailed. I will definitely take each measurement more than once to ensure accuracy and all, but I'm also thinking of different liquids to use. One idea I had was maybe trying out different fruit juices? We'll see about that one. Either way, there will be a lot more in the variable department. OH OH TEMPERATURE. MAYBE I'LL CHANGE THE TEMPERATURE. (Yes, I did just think about that while typing and now I'm getting really excited so I'm going to post this before I start screaming my head off. I must go research.)

*Gets excited*

Hmm, should the name have a pun?

321tumbler

Puns are definitely not out of the question. Any little type of funny word device works really. It is important that the title still sums up the experiment pretty well though.