Good
0 (0%)
Bad
0 (0%)
Gray
3 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Wylder Treejumper

My understanding was that the conditions under Verdauga's reign were less than ideal, in that woodlanders were not free, but not far from a standard feudal society (much better, in fact). It is reasonable to assume that Verdauga honored the feudal contract, and used his army and castle to protect the woodlanders when necessary, if only to preserve his domain. It wasn't until Verdauga sickened under the loving care of his daughter that conditions became unbearable, and the woodlanders were exploited to the level of medieval serfs and therefore rebelled. I would call him just, fair, and stern, but neither evil nor good. In short, he resembles a feudal lord of ancient mold- if not more noble than they often were.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate, though a lot is left up to speculation.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

Pretty much repeating what some others have said, that I believe he was grey, but on the darker side of that. He gradually softened in old age but he was still somewhat the character he had been, in the way he conquered and, at least at first, treated those 'under' him. I do also take into account how warlords behaved in ye olde days.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Sanddunes

I would say Grey because if you study history during the medieval times he wasn't much different then the warlords in our world in fact he maybe better

Ashleg

Verdauga was certainly not evil and even seemed like he cared about his children as he raised Gingivire, who turned out good.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Sanddunes on September 03, 2017, 07:56:41 AM
I would say Grey because if you study history during the medieval times he wasn't much different then the warlords in our world in fact he maybe better
True. However, in our world servitude was a common thing, what with classes of lords and ladies and peasants, which doesn't seem to be the norm in the Redwall universe.
And you know, the woodlanders retaliated against him, so what creatures would make more sense to put into his service, the ones who fought against him or his own soldiers?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Sanddunes

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 04, 2017, 12:54:55 AM
Quote from: Sanddunes on September 03, 2017, 07:56:41 AM
True. However, in our world servitude was a common thing, what with classes of lords and ladies and peasants, which doesn't seem to be the norm in the Redwall universe.
And you know, the woodlanders retaliated against him, so what creatures would make more sense to put into his service, the ones who fought against him or his own soldiers?

Even in our world most people generally don't like being ruled by foreigners now I'm not sure but I think the deal Verdauga made with the woodlanders didn't happen until after he defeated them the first time   

Ashleg

It still doesn't prove him evil.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Ashleg on September 04, 2017, 09:09:12 PM
It still doesn't prove him evil.

I never said he was evil (unless you are not talking to me than sorry)

Ashleg

I'm talking with Skarzs.

I agree with you.

The Skarzs

I'm not saying he was evil either. Just severe.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Sanddunes

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg