Main Menu

Under-developed Characters

Started by MeadowR, April 29, 2017, 10:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

I do not remember the beaver.

Gonff the Mousethief

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on April 30, 2017, 11:13:26 PM
I'm super bitter because Shadow got like two pages worth of character development before becoming an early casualty of the first book... that really annoys me, because he sounds like SUCH an interesting character who could have easily carried the story on his own for a while due to his abilities and mysterious figure. What a missed opportunity.

Amen. One thing I used to think about when writing my incredibly bad 6th grade fan-fic was what if Brian had used a Marlfox instead of a Shadow. Imagine, they are a mystery from the first book which eventually become a threat later on. Or flip it, having the Marlfoxes me Marlrats or something like that. I dunno, that is just something I wished if Brian had planned it out further.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Luftwaffles

~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Ashleg

I thought Scragg was developed and memorable enough for what he was supposed to be.
An upstart, who made Cheesethief mad.

alexandre

Quote from: Ashleg on May 02, 2017, 04:31:59 PM
We can remember him, but not the book he was in.
We didn't forget it; he literally did not have a name in the book.
Is this the one you were talking about:

according to the Redwall Wiki

The unnamed Grumpy Watervole was a mean-tempered, unkind watervole who lived along one of the River Moss's tributaries.

After Orkwil Prink was banished from Redwall Abbey, the watervole refused to give the hedgehog food or drink, aimed an arrow at him, and tricked him into doing subservient tasks before sending him into the wilderness.

Later, the watervole was attacked by a pair of rats. Orkwil saved him and bound the vermin to a tree, showing the opposite of the watervole's contempt for him. The watervole later revealed that he tossed the two rats into a swamp, still bound, and weighted with stones.

He was captured by the crew of Vizka Longtooth and used as bait for the Redwallers. The watervole was knocked out cold by Benjo Tipps, repeatedly insulted, forced to answer questions from Rorc, threatened by Orkwil, and knocked aside by Gorath.

He was extremely paranoid of the Sea Raiders discovering him within the Abbey. After being exiled by Benjo, the watervole stole The Sword of Martin, killing Sister Atrata in the process. However, he stole the sword because Orkwil had stolen his dagger.

While in Mossflower Woods, the watervole was killed by a boulder thrown by Magger, who then stole the Sword of Martin for himself.

Though the watervole never appeared to do anything good or kind, he was seemingly mistreated and abused by everyone he met.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Ashleg on May 09, 2017, 09:22:07 PM
I thought Scragg was developed and memorable enough for what he was supposed to be.
An upstart, who made Cheesethief mad.

I think he could have had a bigger role in the story.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Ashleg

MeadowR

Can't remember 'Scragg'; been a while since I've read Mossflower?, though.

Spoiler warning in case you have not yet read Triss! Avert your eyes and scroll on by! Not that this 'spoilt' part has much relevance in the book. ;D

That vole talk (for whatever reason) reminded me of another underdeveloped/pointless character in Triss. An old eagle is introduced and then dies within, like, two pages, going in to attack the three snakes. But even his death is not 'seen', and you think, oh maybe he didn't get killed... but then nothing more is said. That was literally it. Whhhhy. Seems the only reason to include that scenario was to kill off the owl, but the owl wasn't even a relevant enough character to really warrant a sudden death.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ashleg

alexandre

What about that owl from Eulalia!, Asio Bardwing, he was pretty cool, SPOILER ALERT
Spoiler
He died to quick, it would've been nice to see more of him.
[close]
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

The Skarzs

Once again, he seemed to be one of the characters that were needed only for one part, and after that was fulfilled, he was no longer necessary.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

That's part of what makes Redwall so good, though. Brian wasn't afraid to kill characters after they were needed. Not many children's books do that. Usually they just hide them somewhere or drag them along for no good reason.

Jetthebinturong

See that's a problem. You should never kill off characters just because they've outlived their usefulness, that's lazy. Introducing characters for the express purpose of killing them is another matter entirely and is a much-beloved part of the storytelling process. Also don't have too many fakeout deaths, they come off as cheap if used too often.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Ashleg

I'm glad fakeout deaths aren't really a thing in Redwall.
Once or twice is fine, but after that it becomes annoying.

The Skarzs

Off topic, but would you consider it a fake out death if most of the characters think they are dead but the reader knows they are alive after a period of believing the same?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.