News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

A Brief Message About Words

Started by Matthias720, June 22, 2017, 01:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

In the past four or five months, I have noticed an alarming uptick in the use (attempted or successful) of adult language. We have rules against this using these kinds of words, and I feel it is my responsibility to address questions as to why we have such rules to begin with. As with previous announcements, it is not my intention to call out any particular individuals. I simply wish to demonstrate why the staff has made the choices it has.

First of all, Redwall as a series is primarily for children and young adults. While many of us here fall under the heading of adult or near-adult, we cannot forget that we ourselves found the series as youngsters, back during a simpler time, before the world became complicated and messy. We want anyone who visits us here for the first time to feel welcomed. It is therefore in direct opposition with this ideal when posts with adult language are created. Not everyone shares the same set of values for language. So, it is the best interest of the community and its future, to hold ourselves to a certain standard.

Second, regardless of how you intend the language you use to be read, the words still mean something, even if you yourself ignore that meaning. Now I'm no linguistics expert, but I do know that words are powerful and must be used carefully. Nowhere is that more true than on an internet forum. Written words are trickier to use, as they don't carry things like verbal inflection or enunciation particularly well. If we want to convey a certain tone, that tone must be carefully set to be read how it was intended. Adult language tends to go towards the extreme in tone and inflection. It is difficult for those kinds of words to be read as something other than provocative or inflammatory. So, to keep communication open, clear, and peaceful, we have rules against using adult language because of how it can be misconstrued.

Third, Redwall Abbey is portrayed as a united haven of understanding and goodwill. Part of this unity is putting aside issues that may upset another person, for the betterment of the community. In the past, there have been a handful of individuals who could not or would not stop partaking in activities that were harmful to the forum. These people are no longer with us. They failed to put aside that part of themselves that they considered to be more important than the people around them. By using adult language around unwilling people, it disrespects them, as well as communicating a disregard for their feelings. We have these rules to make sure that no one feels that way.

Finally, the most relevant reason we have for any kind of language rules is that the source material written by Brian Jacques uses next to no language that could be considered offensive. The places where it is used are appropriate to the source and narrative, but it never crossed the line of good taste. To go beyond this barrier, inadvertently set up by Brian Jacques, is both disrespectful to his memory and legacy. The man wasn't perfect, but he respected and valued those reading his books. We ought to strive for the same. Anything else is not in the spirit of Redwall, which is why we have rules in place.

In conclusion, we want to have a vibrant and thriving community for the forum. We want fans of all ages to be able to come and participate here. Adult language alienates a part of our community that could otherwise contribute value to our fandom. And besides, to disregard others by blasting them with things they don't wish to see is both immature and rude. So please, give your fellow fans a chance; use appropriate language that invites all to join in the spirit of Redwall.