Salamandastron: Civil War

Started by Unimaginative, October 17, 2017, 03:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unimaginative

Place holder name, possibly. Depends on if anything better comes up.

Upon the death of the legendary Badger Queen Bithwyn the Keen, the throne of Salamandastron is disputed between Bithwyn's twin sons; Ehedetor and Doboslav. The Long Patrol is divided, though a slight majority supports Doboslav.

Ehedetor has taken control of the mountain itself, and ousted all members of the Long Patrol who support Doboslav. Doboslav, on the other hand, has garnered support from many creatures in Mossflower, and intends to operate out of the famed Redwall Abbey, the most secure location in the region, even if he and his followers from the Long Patrol have to take it by force.

This roleplay will begin shortly before Doboslav attempts to make Redwall his base of operations (which he will do, the Abbess of Redwall will allow him to). Because Mossflower is being dragged into the war over Salamandastron, every character will be taking sides, and will come from all walks of life. This will be a fluid roleplay, with no particular end in mind, but with the players driving it in that direction, deciding who will win the war for Salamandastron. I will be controlling the badgers; however, if you would like to have them do something, or use them for something, let me know what you're thinking, and I will approve or deny it. I'm capping it at two characters per person, though that can be revised later.

Here's a character sheet to use, feel free to use your own! Just make sure to add Affiliation to it, and the reason for it, if you'd like. You're also welcome to edit mine.

Character Sheet

Name:
Species:
Reason for Affiliation:
Weapons:
Personality:
Appearance:
Background:
Other:
[close]

Characters

Ehedetor's Followers (Salamandastron)

Ehedetor
Name: Ehedetor
Species: Badger
Affiliation (Ehedetor or Doboslav): Ehedetor
Reason for Affiliation: He is fighting for his claim to Salamandastron.
Weapons: A massive warhammer.
Personality: More stoic and less jovial than his brother. Ehedetor takes everything seriously. He is an excellent strategic mind, like his brother, and his military strategy tends to revolve around using numbers to overwhelm opponents, rather than through technical strategy. He takes a personal interest in the maintenance and skill level of his army, and knows every member of his Long Patrol by name. He is slightly paranoid, and is always prepared for combat.
Appearance: Big and brawny. The only thing distinguishing him from his brother is a limp and a scar on his right forearm, which he displays with pride. He tends to always wear a full suit of lovingly crafted and maintained armor, even outside of combat.
Background: Like his brother, he led many military campaigns against vermin outside of Salamandastron, and distinguished himself as a leader and a warrior.
[close]

Krantor's Character for Ehedetor
Name: Ridjard de Trovela
Species: Hare
Reason for Affiliation: His father is an esteemed captain in many of Doboslav's expeditions, Ridjard wishes to follow his example.
Weapons: Short sword and a pike
Personality:Ridjard is someone who looks up to his superiors, and wants to follow their example. He is quick to think for himself, however, his feelings usually get the better of him and clouds his mind. He needs guidance. But, he is still willing to fight for what he thinks right.
Appearance: Normal grey hare with brown eyes, wears a red coat over a beige tunic.
Background: Born in Salamandastron, and as the son of a Long Patrol captain, he received his education in the mountain, born to be a fighter.
[close]

Unimaginative's Character for Ehedetor
Name: Falter Ellick Sodsworth (Soddy)
Affiliation (Ehedetor or Doboslav): Ehedetor.
Reason for Affiliation: He was a high ranking member of the Long Patrol, and a very close confidant of Ehedetor. Though sympathetic of Doboslav's claim, Soddy believes that Ehedetor is the true heir of Salamandastron, and will follow his liege to the end.
Weapons: A long saber.
Personality: Much more stoic than many other hares, Soddy was a friend of Bithwyn, and would often help watch the young badger twins when the Badger Lady was busy. He is a fiercely loyal, strong-willed hare who never changes his beliefs on something once he's established them. He is a believer in conventional warfare, and often complains when opponents use underhanded tactics rather than what he deems "an appropriate clash in the middle of a large, empty fields". He is a skilled strategist, though not even close to either of the badger twins, and is Ehedetor's right-hand man.
Appearance: One of Soddy's ears is unusually long, and he often uses a strap to hold it down so it isn't flopping around when he moves. He wears a very traditional Long Patrol uniform, with the rapier in his belt at all times. He is a lanky hare, though in recent years he's begun to put on some weight.
Background: Born and raised in Salamandastron, Soddy joined the Long Patrol at just 16 season/years old, one of the youngest recruits ever. He quickly impressed, and by the age of 31 was among the most respected military leaders in all of Mossflower. He quickly became Queen Bithwyn's confidante, and though he refutes it, many believe that she wanted Ehedetor to be her successor. As soon as she died, Soddy proclaimed his loyalty to Ehedetor.
Other:
[close]

Scott's Character for Ehedetor
Name: Captain Rolf Leafblade
Affiliation: Ehedetor
Reason for Affiliation: Captain Rolf is a Long patrol veteran, who followed Ehedetor in many of his battles and quest, and will still follow to whom he thinks is the rightful lord of Salamandastron to the end.
Weapons: Leaf bladed sword, a dirk and a sling.
Personality: Very quick witted has a sense of danger is willing to do the job whatever it takes.
Appearance: He is a slight taller than the average hare, his fur is sandy color, he has really dark green eyes and a scar on his left eye, he wears a Short blue long sleeve tunic, a belt for his dirk, and a sheath on his back for his sword.
Background: Captain Rolf has been in Salamandastron for as long as he remembered, he joined the Long patrol at 19 he went through many quests with Ehedetor who placed him in the rank of captain.
[close]

Doboslav's Followers (Redwall Abbey)

Doboslav
Name: Doboslav
Species: Badger
Affiliation (Ehedetor or Doboslav): Doboslov
Reason for Affiliation: He is fighting for his claim to Salamandastron.
Weapons: Two axes, both of which are covered in intricate designs.
Personality: Often gives the impression that he doesn't understand the gravity of a situation, but generally has a good idea of what he's up against. He is a strategic leader, but tends to be overconfident in his armies. He remains more distant from his followers, deeming it below his position to be too close with his soldiers. Despite this, he is a very popular figure among most hares in his Long Patrol, in part because of his humor and his love of their music.
Appearance: Big and brawny. He has escaped most of his campaigns unscathed, but does have a notch in his ear from an old wound.
Background: Like his brother, he led many military campaigns against vermin outside of Salamandastron, and distinguished himself as a leader and a warrior. 
[close]

Unimaginative's Character for Doboslav

Name: Ichabod Wilfrond Volcert
Affiliation (Ehedetor or Doboslav): Doboslav
Reason for Affiliation: He was effectively raised along side the two badgers, and had become a much closer friend to Doboslav, never being particularly fond of Ehedetor.
Weapons: A bow and arrow, and a short sword he keeps at his waist.
Personality: Like Doboslav, he is very humorous. Almost excessively so, and often Doboslav has to rein him in to keep the hare from offending anyone. Ichabod fancies himself an excellent cook, but is actually one of the rare hares who is... well... terrible at it. He is loyal, but open to new concepts.
Appearance: Shorter than many hares, but extraordinarily thin. He is surprisingly strong for a creature of his size. He is rarely seen without his beret, or a pair of glasses that he wears perched on his nose. However, the rest of his outfit is constantly changing, as Ichabod is a famously stylish dresser.
Background: Born to a pair of chefs in Salamandastron, Ichabod was clearly destined for great things, in a hare's mind. Bithwyn recruited both of Ichabod's parents to be her personal chefs, as well as for Ehedetor and Doboslav, so the young hare spent much of his youth around the badgers, and Falter Ellick Soddy. Finding that Soddy was blindingly dull, to him, Ichabod quickly made friends with Doboslav, and when the war started, was one of the first Hares to pick sides.
Other:
[close]

Krantor's Character for Doboslav

Name: Fragil Worfel
Species: Squirrel
Affiliation (Ehedetor or Doboslav): Doboslav
Reason for Affiliation: He is seeking fame and high position Mossflower.
Weapons: A dirk and and a pair of throwing knives.
Personality:  Ambitious and quite hasty in decision making, and in life. Always ready to get into action, without considering danger. However, he obeys orders to an extent, if not willingly. Roguelike character.
Appearance: Average squirrel. Red fur and dark eyes always wears a dark green tunic and a brown headband.
Background: An orphan living in Mossflower, he was taken to Redwall as a child, however in his teen seasons, he ran off to seek adventure.
[close]

Skarz' character for Doboslav
Name: Haenrok
  Species: Otter
  Affiliation: Doboslav
  Reason for Affiliation: He has yet to be convinced. (It will be a good way for characters to interract.)
  Weapons: Otter javelin and long dirk.
  Personality: The otter is pretty easy-going in that he enjoys going where he pleases, but when he sets his mind to something it takes a lot of effort to change his resolve. While Haenrok enjoys being alone, he also is pleased by the company of others, and he can be rather sociable if he wants to be. He is usually happy, if not showing it in his facial expression, then at least on the inside. He is stubborn and fierce when roused. He holds back a hot temper sometimes.
  Appearance: Haenrok is pretty typical for a sea otter, noticeably larger than the river species and bearing the usual dark brown fur. He has sharp cheekbones and a square jaw, giving his face a hardened look. While this does make him seem somewha cold, he often breaks the stony appearance of his face with a friendly smile. His clothing consists of a gray half-sleeved tunic and a brown vest.
  Background: Haenrok came from an island in the western ocean, and as soon as his parents let him he took a small boat and went sailing. He had been away for a few years now, but he knew his parents did not mind; both of them had done the same thing, apparently, and had encouraged his adventurous spirit in addition to their warnings not to grow up too quickly. He joined the river otters and spends his time with them. Has become good friends with the Skipper.
  Other: Currently residing at Redwall for a time with some other otters the Skipper let him take with him.
[close]

Neutral

Wylder's Character
Name: Brother Eldon
Species: Mouse
Affiliation: None
Reason for Affiliation: "Between good beasts there ought to be no conflict, neither for power, nor for glory, nor for any grievance. The way of peace is open to all those who seek wisdom and righteousness. So it has been since before the founding of our Order."
Weapons: None
Personality: Calm, kind, and compassionate, Brother Eldon has found peace in the ancient ways. He values above all else the charity, self-awareness and non-violence found in the ancient Code of Redwall. His wits, however, are sharp, and when necessary he can use them to devastating effect.
Appearance: A venerable mouse, Brother Eldon's once-brown fur is graying, but despite his appearance, he remains spry and active. He is thin, with piercing grey eyes, and always wears the traditional green habit marking him as a member of the Order. 
Background: Once a hasty, impulsive, and troubled youngster, Eldon was taken under the wing of the gatekeeper and Scholar of the Order Brother Matthews. Under his loving and patient tutelage, Eldon slowly grew into the balanced and mature mouse of later years. He is now the keeper of the ways of the ancient Order, and has tried to use his influence to bring the Abbey back to what he feels is its true purpose.
Other: Brother Eldon is greatly respected in the Abbey for his wisdom regarding personal matters, but most of the Abbeydwellers feel his attachment to the old ways is anachronistic and foolish.
[close]
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

The Skarzs

What is the role of vermin in the role-play? Are they kind of out of the picture?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Unimaginative

Vermin won't have a major role. The primary focus will be on the conflict between woodlands creatures.

I'm open to any suggestions, though.  ;D

Maudie

Ooh, me likey. I'd like to join, but if I don't get around to making a character sheet before the RP starts then I probably won't be participating. I'll try and get to that, though.

(I've got a busy life  :P ;D)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Wylder Treejumper

Fascinating! I'll be putting up a character soon.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Krantor the Brutal

"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Unimaginative

Quote from: Maudie on October 17, 2017, 04:33:44 AM
Ooh, me likey. I'd like to join, but if I don't get around to making a character sheet before the RP starts then I probably won't be participating. I'll try and get to that, though.

(I've got a busy life  :P ;D)

Don't worry about joining late, if you decide you want to. It would be easy enough just to say your character had been a member of their respective force's ranks, who wasn't as key early on, but gained importance later during the war.

Krantor the Brutal

Name: Fragil Worfel
Species: Squirrel
Reason for Affiliation: He is seeking fame and high position Mossflower.
Weapons: A dirk and anda pair of throwing knives.
Personality:  Ambitious and quite hasty in decision making, and in life. Always ready to get into action, without considering danger. However, he obeys orders to an extent, if not willingly. Roguelike character.
Appearance: Average squirrel. Red fur and dark eyes always wears a dark green tunic and a brown headband.
Background: An orphan living in Mossflower, he was taken to Redwall as a child, however in his teen seasons, he ran off to seek adventure.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

Wylder Treejumper

Name: Brother Eldon
Species: Mouse
Affiliation: None
Reason for Affiliation: "Between good beasts there ought to be no conflict, neither for power, nor for glory, nor for any grievance. The way of peace is open to all those who seek wisdom and righteousness. So it has been since before the founding of our Order."
Weapons: None
Personality: Calm, kind, and compassionate, Brother Eldon has found peace in the ancient ways. He values above all else the charity, self-awareness and non-violence found in the ancient Code of Redwall. His wits, however, are sharp, and when necessary he can use them to devastating effect.
Appearance: A venerable mouse, Brother Eldon's once-brown fur is graying, but despite his appearance, he remains spry and active. He is thin, with piercing grey eyes, and always wears the traditional green habit marking him as a member of the Order. 
Background: Once a hasty, impulsive, and troubled youngster, Eldon was taken under the wing of the gatekeeper and Scholar of the Order Brother Matthews. Under his loving and patient tutelage, Eldon slowly grew into the balanced and mature mouse of later years. He is now the keeper of the ways of the ancient Order, and has tried to use his influence to bring the Abbey back to what he feels is its true purpose.
Other: Brother Eldon is greatly respected in the Abbey for his wisdom regarding personal matters, but most of the Abbeydwellers feel his attachment to the old ways is anachronistic and foolish.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Unimaginative

Both are accepted, though I'd like it if at some point, Brother Eldon does pick a side. For the start though, neutrality is fine.

Wylder Treejumper

Ahem. The entire point of Brother Eldon is that he refuses to pick a side, or at least to support any side externally, even if he believes one badger to be more fit. He believes that it is the sworn responsibility of the Order of Redwall Abbey to remain neutral arbiters in these kinds of conflicts, and he will attempt to bring about a peaceful resolution against any obstacle save death.

I know I'm kind of breaking the mold here, but I think it will be interesting to have one beast at least who believes strongly that this can be resolved through more than force. And, really, neutrality was originally the entire domain of the Abbey...
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Unimaginative

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on October 18, 2017, 03:43:25 AM
Ahem. The entire point of Brother Eldon is that he refuses to pick a side, or at least to support any side externally, even if he believes one badger to be more fit. He believes that it is the sworn responsibility of the Order of Redwall Abbey to remain neutral arbiters in these kinds of conflicts, and he will attempt to bring about a peaceful resolution against any obstacle save death.

I know I'm kind of breaking the mold here, but I think it will be interesting to have one beast at least who believes strongly that this can be resolved through more than force. And, really, neutrality was originally the entire domain of the Abbey...

Alrighty, that's a solid explanation. Eldon can stay neutral! ;D

Krantor the Brutal

Scott McLamok

Will make a Ehedetor hare
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Unimaginative

Alrighty. Once those two sheets are up, I'll start the Roleplay.