News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Redwall/Middle-earth Mashup

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 17, 2012, 10:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

"Redwall" and Tolkien's work ("The Hobbit", "LOTR") are my favourite pieces of literature. So I had the idea of somehow combining the two together. I'm not sure exactly how I'll do this, but I have a few ideas. I wanted to see if other fans of the two books could help me in any way, and then I'll post it up as I go along.

The one thing I've come up with are the species of each race. This was quite a bit of fun. Here are the species (open to new ideas):

Hobbits= Mice. Both have a very innocent feel to them, heroes without realising it almost. And Matthias reminds me of Frodo for some reason. :)
Wizards (Gandalf, Saruman)= Badgers. Both very wise (and old!).
Elves= Squirrels. Lots of Elvish races live in the trees and are "at one with nature".
Dwarfs= Moles. Dwarfs are miners and live in underground caves and places like that.
Men= Hares. The race of Men are very military-like.
Ents= Ents. They just won't be the same if they're not!
The orcs and creatures like that I'll make a mixture of rats, weasels and all the other vermin. I'll probably make Sauron a rat (Even though you don't actually see him, I'll just make characters refer to him that way).
Most of the beasts I'll keep the same. The balrog will be a balrog, the oliphaunts as oliphaunts, the fell beasts as fell beasts, Great Eagles as Great Eagles, Wargs as Wargs etc.

In terms of storyline, this is where I'm most stuck. I could re-tell the story in a Redwall-like way, but that would take an incredibly long time. I could just re-make some of the more notable LOTR scenes, but one persons favourite scene could differ to another. Or, I could just come up with a completely original idea and take it from there. That's what I'm leaning towards.

So, any help would be appreciated. :) Particularly in the storyline department, but any other ideas you have I'll consider. I may even turn this in to a collaborative effort if there are enough willing and skilled writers.
Received mostly negative reviews.

MatthiasMan

I have an idea for the story line/plot. How about if Frodo was Matthias, after the journey of the ring has a son(Mattimeo) that goes to Rivendale and Sarumon (Spelling?) comes back to life as Chickenhound, and he starts making another army of orks and rats and things. So Chickenhound goes to the Shire (Mossflower) and a giant massacre happens. Then Mattimeo sees Arogon of old to bring an end to Chickenhound/Slagar/Lunar Stellares. K?

Troy Troodon

What a coincidence. One of the reasons why I put monkeys is because they are slightly based off the Haradrim, hence why they are from "The South" and of course they got giant elephants.
So what if I'm crazy? Atleast I admit my insanity.

cairn destop

If you read Tolkein's "Simarilian," it hints at the first war of the ring.  Why not try writing how the ring was first recovered and lost.

Might be a nice twist having the vermin trying to eliminate the ring and the woodlanders somehow causing it to be lost.

Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

MatthiasMan

Quote from: cairn destop on August 20, 2012, 05:52:58 AM
If you read Tolkein's "Simarilian," it hints at the first war of the ring.  Why not try writing how the ring was first recovered and lost.

Might be a nice twist having the vermin trying to eliminate the ring and the woodlanders somehow causing it to be lost.

Aww. Read my idea yet? I like your idea too though.

cairn destop

Well, you did ask for suggestions.      ;D

Consider the idea no more than a brainstormed idea.  It may or may not work, but at least you have more than one option available.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

MatthiasMan

True. . .So true. . .

Anyways, I had an idea but I forgot. Nooo!

DanielofRedwall

Thanks for the ideas guys, but I was actually looking for something a bit less specific. More just some general ideas. I work a bit better based on those. :) (However I do like CD's idea.) Do you think I should base it in the Redwall universe, with the LOTR races or Middle-earth with animals? Perhaps a strange mix of both?
Received mostly negative reviews.

W0NWILL

I like the middle-earth with the animals, personally.

Rainshadow

Quote from: W0NWILL on August 28, 2012, 08:31:22 PM
I like the middle-earth with the animals, personally.

Yeah!  I think I like that one more.  You could even do it that it's like the RP Escaping the Redwall Universe.  Meaning, the Redwall animals have no idea how they got there or something like that.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

MatthiasMan

Honestly, it's way cooler I think to do Middle-Earth with animals. I think the shire should be Mossflower. I mean twould make sense. How about the sacred sword in LOTR is Martin's sword and had to be found and put back together? Saruman can be an evil rat wizard dude, and the Rohan people are like mice? Or you could write a story about how another, more powerful than ring than Frodo's, someone makes again and some guy who made it, is controlling slaves in Middle-Earth? Then he has to be stopped.

Rainshadow

Quote from: MatthiasMan on August 30, 2012, 02:26:44 AM
How about the sacred sword in LOTR is Martin's sword and had to be found and put back together?

You mean Narsil?
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Osu

What a fabulous idea! I'm just over halfway through Return of the King at this very moment. (= LotR is such a lovely series - Tolkien's description of setting and atmosphere really mirrors that of Jacques' feasting and food. I love it.

I think using the sword of Martin as Narsil would work - they play the same basic role in both worlds. Rather than having it be reforged, however, what about simply needing to find it? That way the whole "unbreakable, unbeatable" aspect of Martin's sword isn't lost.

I'm in the animals-in-Middle-Earth party, too. Much more exciting that way.

Here's something of a new idea: rather than having each species of animal correspond with the races of Middle-Earth, why not split them according to personality or location? For example, hobbits have a love of food - as do hares, and some mice, and hedgehogs, and so on. Elves are very old and wise, like many Redwallish badgers, abbots/abbesses, and so on. This way "elves" and "men" could still intermarry and the Sword could remain in the paws of a mouse. Also, I like the idea of a mouseking ruling justly over all species equally.

Now, on to your original question in the OP....

There are two straightforward ways I'd write it out. One way - which you've already considered - would be to retell the War of the Ring with Redwall characters in place of Tolkien's characters. The other would be to tell a Redwall story with characters that live in Middle-Earth and share the nature of the hobbits/dwarves/orcs/etc. Otherwise I can't think of any concrete ideas. I wish I could, though! I'll definitely be interested in whatever you eventually come up with.  :)
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Rainshadow

I've got it!  You could use my idea of The Chocolate Muffins of Death and say that it's like the Ring!  The main character has to go to Mount Doom and throw the Muffin in, because that's the only way to destroy it.  Along the way all of the characters need to not give into the temptation of eating the Muffin because if they do, they die.
  Lol, that's kinda a weird story, but hey, it sounds fun to me!

Osu

Quote from: Rainshadow on September 02, 2012, 04:20:29 PMthe characters need to not give into the temptation of eating the Muffin because if they do, they die.
I wouldn't last a day! ;D This sounds like it'd make a good comic, haha.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.