News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

General Suggestions

Started by rakkety tam, July 19, 2011, 07:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russano the Wise

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 02, 2015, 04:33:15 PM
I know the Castaways thing was an April Fool's joke, but it is true that that series does not get as much credit as it might. So. . . an idea I would like to put forward is that the "Other works" board be expanded for the series as Castaways, Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales, etc., instead of it all being compressed into one tiny board.

I definitely agree with that. Castaways is a great series and I'm sure Brian Jacques's other books are good as well (although I have not read them). Some new boards could really help bring more attention to these books and hopefully encourage some more discussion.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

James Gryphon

In the past, the staff's general policy towards new boards has been to create them on an as-needed basis. In the case of Popular Forum Games, it was because there were a few very big, very popular topics that were overwhelming everything else. The Secret Hideouts were meant to take on all of the topics in the Cellars that relied on one person to run them, as those kinds of topics had become very popular, and we felt it would be beneficial to separate that from the normally pointless activities in the main Cellars.

In the case of Castaways discussion, or discussion of Mr. Jacques' other books, unfortunately, there has not been much of a need to divide them up, because there hasn't been much in the way of discussion. The discussion board for all of those books combined is the smallest non-exclusive (non-staff) board on the front page, and it isn't that close. If we included sub-boards in that comparison, its rank goes up a little bit, but having more topics than Recipes or the Orchards isn't much of an accomplishment right now. It only has 150 posts more than the most recent roleplay tournament -- and that's in spite of the fact that it's been around almost four years.

We'd love to have thriving communities for each of those books, but we can't reasonably build places for them until there's the slightest signs of life there.
« Subject to editing »

Luftwaffles

Can the signatures be a bit more... lengthy? The text box runs out pretty quickly and sometimes, it shows.

Pretty useless suggestion, I know :P
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

James Gryphon

Well, we like signatures to be about how they are now, short and sweet. Lots of text and big images are considered to be more a nuisance than anything else. (As it is, we have to periodically message people to ask them to not put those big banners in their sigs). So, this probably won't change much. That said, if there's something reasonable you'd like to do that the current limit keeps you from doing, feel free to PM me and we can talk about it.
« Subject to editing »

Blaggut

Can we have another cellars or games board for Non-Redwall RPs and silly Cellars RPs. RPs act quite slowly and are thus overrun by more populaur topics that pull in posts at a faster rate. A board maybe, even, as we shall need an OOC area and finished RP area for these RPs aswell.
~Just a soft space boi~

Skyblade

I think the suggestion of Off-Topic RPs has been brought up in the past (and for good reason, they're pretty cool). I'm not sure exactly where that stands, however.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Maudie

What if you could save your message as a draft? I've experienced many times where I had to get off, but I wanted to save my post, but I couldn't because I wasn't done with it. Would that be a possibility?
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Mhera

Send the draft to yourself in a message.

MeadowR

In the early days were there ever threads made for each individual book so you could discuss? I like the idea of after reading one of the books to have somewhere obvious I can put my thoughts down about it and other people can add their thoughts - either big or small - once they've read the book, or if they already have read it. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Skyblade

Hey, I don't know, but that sounds like a great idea!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: MeadowRabbit on July 01, 2015, 06:38:19 PM
In the early days were there ever threads made for each individual book so you could discuss? I like the idea of after reading one of the books to have somewhere obvious I can put my thoughts down about it and other people can add their thoughts - either big or small - once they've read the book, or if they already have read it. :)

You mean like having one pinned thread for each individual book? That can actually come in handy (although, wouldn't that discourage people from creating other topics about said books?).

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Skyblade

They wouldn't have to be pinned. I still advocate the idea!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Skyblade on July 01, 2015, 08:13:22 PM
They wouldn't have to be pinned. I still advocate the idea!

Yeah, I know that they wouldn't need to be pinned (although that would have the natural consequence of eventually making them disappear due to inactivity). I still advocate the idea as well.

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

MeadowR

I'm glad the idea gains some approval! :P

They wouldn't have to be pinned because I think people might remember they're there to be dug up and continued... and I wouldn't want members to just see all those pinned threads and think that's all they can comment in - unless they were in their own section. But yeah, whatever is best (if such an idea was actually to be taken on, that is!).
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014