AbbeyCraft - The Redwall + Minecraft project

Started by cryptopur, June 20, 2013, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Quote from: VedCassib on June 21, 2013, 03:27:51 PM
Quote from: rachel25 on June 21, 2013, 12:56:17 PM
do you have to download anything or pay because if not I'll be happy to play it  :-*

You will have to download Minecraft which cost about $27. Then you will have to download AbbeyCraft. If you're worried about downloading things, you don't have to be. Minecraft has been downloaded by millions of people across the world. And Soma Games is a legitimate company, so you don't have to worry about AbbeyCraft.

in that case I can't get it I don't have £27 pounds just laying around so I can't play it  :'(

Dannflower Reguba

Hmm.. Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but Gears is managing a now rather large Redwall server, we're getting quite close to going public, yall might want to talk to him.

As far as minecraft and the playing off it goes, I think the accounts went up to something like.. $45? $40? Something like that. Never downloaded a map before though.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Dawnwing

I can't wait till AbbeyCraft!  I can't think of anything in particular that I'd be looking for in a server.

Quote from: rachel25 on June 25, 2013, 08:31:59 PM
Quote from: VedCassib on June 21, 2013, 03:27:51 PM

You will have to download Minecraft which cost about $27. Then you will have to download AbbeyCraft. If you're worried about downloading things, you don't have to be. Minecraft has been downloaded by millions of people across the world. And Soma Games is a legitimate company, so you don't have to worry about AbbeyCraft.

in that case I can't get it I don't have £27 pounds just laying around so I can't play it  :'(

VedCassib said $27, as in US dollars, not £27.  That converts to £17.5, apparently.  A little cheaper than you were thinking, at least. :)

Shadowed One

I am planning to just wait until the game comes out. I don't play Minecraft anyway, so this way I won't have to spend a bunch of money on Minecraft just to play Abbeycraft.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

cryptopur

A quick head's up everybody.
Primary construction on AbbeyCraft is wrapping up today. What that includes:

• Redwall Abbey (of course) - for scale it measures just about 1/8 mile on each side but seeing how your character is effectively half-size, you'll experience that as roughly twice that. The only significant things that were left out are the Cellar and the Tapestry. The cellar because it's described as "vast" and we felt it would take too long to explore that space. The tapestry has been necessarily omitted because we have not found a good way to make that work inside Minecraft to a quality we're happy with. Apart from those...everything is there, including 23 secret rooms and passages at last count. :D
  • St. Ninians church - head south east down the road and you'll find the place Clunny and his crew made his camp.
  • Gingevere's Farm - also hidden in the woods is the erstwhile home of a vegetarian cat (who does NOT appear as a mob...)
  • Over 16 sq KM (to scale) of Mossflower Wood and surrounding countryside to include a wide variety of natural and beast-made locations to explore and revel in.
  • We made about 2 dozen custom tree templates and planted about 650 sq hectares of dense woods.

VedCassib

Lutra

Wow, sounds like something I'm going to check out.  Will you be offering a download teaser for like those people who don't play this stuff to evaluate it?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

cryptopur

Quote from: Lutra on June 28, 2013, 06:54:12 PM
Wow, sounds like something I'm going to check out.  Will you be offering a download teaser for like those people who don't play this stuff to evaluate it?

With AbbeyCraft we'll be releasing a stand alone adventure map first and then a server will be opened up later for folks who pledged on Kickstater. So I reckon the adventure map is a kind of of a teaser...but you still need Minecraft to play it.

Lutra

Ok, just got to factor in $27 for minecraft because I don't have that.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

PaddedFoxey

Would it be posible to add a lil vegetable patch in the abby?

erian_7

Hi all--I've been meaning to get an account over here since the Kickstarter, and the email on we'd like to see in AbbeyCraft finally spurred me on...

I play Minecraft quite a lot with my 9-year old son, so I'm looking forward to how this turns out. I'm very glad to hear the perspective on PVP, as I agree that would be totally outside the spirit of AbbeyCraft means of drawing folks into the community and experience. A well-run server, from my perspective, would provide both a Creative and an RPG/Adventure option. The abbey and it's surroundings would be RPG/Adventure, and a separate location (perhaps a separate Dimension even, to keep things clean) could allow folks to show their Creative sides. The RPG/Adventure area would definitely require grief/block placement protections and the Creative area would require a system for assigning ownership. What server-side configuration are you considering (i.e. Vanilla, Bukkit, Forge, etc.)?

I am wondering what, if any, mods you might be considering? Using mods has the drawback of requiring people to have the mods locally, but there are several that could lend to the spirit of redwall and expand on the aesthetic options. If the mods are put together well in a modpack, that will facilitate others using it easily. The new Minecraft launcher might be supportive of this approach as it matures, and there are also alternative launchers such as TechnicLauncher, that would automatically download/configure client-side settings. That may be more complex than what you are looking to get into, which I understand, but if you are considering mods I'm happy to lend a hand in finding stable options, sorting out ID conflicts, etc. (It would be fabulous if you could get a mod team capable of making a "Mo'Creatures" style mod to support alternate characters/mobs--that's way outside my skills though).

LordTBT

Quote from: PaddedFoxey on July 03, 2013, 12:57:02 AM
Would it be posible to add a lil vegetable patch in the abby?

I'm sure they figured things like this into the design. ;)

Dawnwing

Quote from: cryptopur on June 28, 2013, 05:58:10 PM
A quick head's up everybody.
Primary construction on AbbeyCraft is wrapping up today. What that includes:

• Redwall Abbey (of course) - for scale it measures just about 1/8 mile on each side but seeing how your character is effectively half-size, you'll experience that as roughly twice that. The only significant things that were left out are the Cellar and the Tapestry. The cellar because it's described as "vast" and we felt it would take too long to explore that space. The tapestry has been necessarily omitted because we have not found a good way to make that work inside Minecraft to a quality we're happy with. Apart from those...everything is there, including 23 secret rooms and passages at last count. :D
  • St. Ninians church - head south east down the road and you'll find the place Clunny and his crew made his camp.
  • Gingevere's Farm - also hidden in the woods is the erstwhile home of a vegetarian cat (who does NOT appear as a mob...)
  • Over 16 sq KM (to scale) of Mossflower Wood and surrounding countryside to include a wide variety of natural and beast-made locations to explore and revel in.
  • We made about 2 dozen custom tree templates and planted about 650 sq hectares of dense woods.

Sounds cool!  I can't wait to explore!

cryptopur

Those are some great thoughts erian_7 - much obliged.

Right now we're looking at a bukkit server with a few basic mods that will only need to be on the server side (requiring no local mods) but of course many of the specifics are still up for discussion...like here. :)

erian_7

If a Survival aspect is considered, I've had some really good experience with folks in the past trying to build out complete villages/cities and such. Certain folks take up mining and resource gathering, others are builders, and others crafters. This allows people to enjoy various aspects of the game while relying on others to handle pieces they don't like as well. Some bukkit plugins allow a mercantile/trading system which can be nice. In areas like this, it's absolutely critical that a careful reign is held on OPs/Admin folks coming in and handing out resources. They need to be present, obviously, for handling any problems/griefers/etc., but I've seen servers just fall apart (socially) because the OPs get out of hand. As with a Creative area, this could be handled in another Dimension to keep the worlds clean so folks can't take stuff from one Dimension into another and thus "break" how the Adventure/RpG side is supposed to go for instance.

Looking forward to seeing things progress!