Redwall animals in real life

Started by MeadowR, August 19, 2013, 02:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeadowR

I'm guessing most people will've seen their own Martin mouse scuttling around at some point, or maybe even a rat or two. I realise that I don't think you can get the hedgehogs or badgers described in the book in North America and possibly not Australasia either, and you can't get wild wolverines in Britain, etc.

Have you seen all or many of the animals mentioned in the wild yourself?
Or any in captivity?
Any interesting stories behind these sightings?

In the wild, I've definitely seen:
Mice, rats, shrews, rabbits, hares?, foxes (the closest I got to an urban one was a matter of centimetres away), various birds including buzzards, hedgehogs, bats... possibly a badger from a distance.
Not in the wild:
Seen a pet ferret being walked in a town centre! I've seen otters in captivity and also a cute event at a gallery-museum years back with a talk about two baby otters and I was allowed to touch one! Seen seals at various wildlife parks.

I have not, unfortunately, seen weasels or stoats (can't remember if ever seen them at zoos), bank voles, wildcats, wolverine, beaver (unless at a zoo?)...

I've probably forgotten lots of animals!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Leatho Shellhound

Ok, well I had several run-ins with foxs, some came so close I could almost touch them.

I've seen and held rabbits and hares, in fact I saved a baby rabbit from my dog this last spring.

I held a hedgehog before as it was crossing my back yard (When I lived in Europe).

I've held and played with many a shrew.

We had at least 4 brown mice in are garage, and I saw several in a castle in France and switzerland before.

I have seen a few rats in my time as well.

I've seen Red, white, grey, brown squirrels aswell.

We had a few bats come into are house once.

I've seen snakes of plenty.

Wildcats have also crossed my path.

I've seen a few moles as well.

When I went to North Carolina I found 3 turtles.

We have at least 4 frogs in are fountain at the moment, and I used to find toads as well.

At my Uncles house there are lots of lizards.

I've seen many birds as well including european sparrows.

So that's all I've seen that was in the wild. ^^

I have seen many more in zoos, and other places.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Russano the Wise

We used to own several chickens and one day I was out with them and a mouse came running into the chicken coop. Before I could chase it out again the chickens killed the mouse. That was rather sad because I never like to see animals get killed.

Another Redwall animal I've encountered before are lizards. Where I live we have tons of lizards and our old cat was an outdoor cat. He loved to chase and catch the lizards. Several times I had to go outside and bring him back into the house to let a lizard he was chasing escape.

We also have a family of squirrels that live under our shed. They love to come out and eat all the birdseed I set out for the birds. I don't really mind because I love watching the squirrels just as much as I love watching the birds.

Some other Redwall animals I've seen are rabbits, toads, turtles, buzzards, otters, and many others that I'm forgetting at the moment.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

MeadowR

That's great!

Oh gosh, I forgot about squirrels! What an obvious one! I've seen plenty of grey squirrels, but only seen a red in captivity.

I've seen the odd snake (not sure if it was an adder or a grass snake), frogs and toads and lizards (the latter while in Malta and Spain).

When I used to have a blow up paddling pool in the garden, twice a frog found its way into it! I actually played with it a bit before it got sent away to a proper pond.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ve are alvayz findin' frogz in ze mornin' at our zummer pool. Ve'd 'ave a group o' kidz runnin' around fizhin' frogz oot o' ze vater!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

phoenixfoden

We have hedgehogs where i live and ive seen a few
european sparrows
bats(never seen one)
owls(only heard one)
And a few lizards

MeadowR

Oh yes, and I've seen some owls up quite close. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Faiyloe

I've seen gray squirrels, rabbits, bats , hawks (from a distance), and foxes allot. I have also seen Shrews and a mouse but the were all dead. The were killed by bug killer. I have seen snakes, otters, and owls in captivity. That's about it.   
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Romsca

Once I saw a redtail hawk REALLY close! I was hiking and it flew right past my head! Also, once I was camping and a mouse came into our tent :o There was also a stuffed stoat at a hotel, and I've seen plenty of domestic ferrets in pet stores :D

Has anyone ever seen a badger IRL?

Russano the Wise

QuoteOnce I saw a redtail hawk REALLY close! I was hiking and it flew right past my head!

There are tons of Redtail hawks were I live. I think they nest somewhere near my house.

QuoteHas anyone ever seen a badger IRL?

When I was at wilderness camp this year some of my counselors and and some campers saw a badger. Unfortunately I was out on a mini hike with one of my counselors and a camper so I didn't get to see it.

I forgot to mention that I have seen some Great Horned Owls. A couple of years ago they biuld a nest quite near my house and I was able to watch the babies grow up. It was fun.   
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

davers84

I've seen several of these animals out in the wild. A friend and I even caught a wild ferret and he kept it as a pet for several years before finally selling it. Having lived in the Midwest of the US for most of my life, most of these animals (minus probably the otters) are quite common to see.

The Shade

I think the rarest think I saw was an adder, in the wild, or a weasel I saw. Ive practicly seen all redwall animals in zoos, but you can never beat seeing something is the wild!!!  :)
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: The Shade on August 20, 2013, 07:18:14 PM
I think the rarest think I saw was an adder, in the wild, or a weasel I saw. Ive practicly seen all redwall animals in zoos, but you can never beat seeing something is the wild!!!  :)

Weasels!!!

An' aye, nozin' beatz zeein' ztuff oot in Nature!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Tam and Martin

Well I've seen....

A Weasel. We went to New Jersey on vacation and one was on a rocky beach.

A Fox. My brother had to shoot it though cause it was killing our chickens.

Moles. Our Neighbor's dogs killed two of them  :(

Squirrels. They are ALL over the place!!!!

Lizards. Same thing as the squirrels - All over.

Ferret. Our neighbor had a ferret and we went and saw it and they let us name it. We named it Romsca  ;D

A bunch of birds that are in redwall are around our area: Crows, Owls, Vultures, Kites etc.

I think that is it.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

WildDoogyPlumm

Every time I see a squirrel (which there are a lot of around here), I'm like, "Hi Dann!" "Hi Tam!" "Hi Girry!" and so on.
There's a rascally little squirrel who continuously gets into our garbage...Chugger, perhaps?
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy