The Fights of the Centuries

Started by The Skarzs, September 19, 2014, 01:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonestripe

I know they are relatives and I also know they are both peaceloving cats but a heated tussle between  Gingivere and Julian. Watching two well spoken nice guys fight would be funny and epic.

ALSO 2 badger lords would be amazing considering in every book about one it mentions that two full grown badger males will fight if stuck together for too long.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

The Skarzs

Quote from: Stonestripe on April 27, 2015, 04:18:57 AM
I know they are relatives and I also know they are both peaceloving cats but a heated tussle between  Gingivere and Julian. Watching two well spoken nice guys fight would be funny and epic.
I imagine it wouldn't come to blows, more of a heated argument.

Quote from: Stonestripe on April 27, 2015, 04:18:57 AM
ALSO 2 badger lords would be amazing considering in every book about one it mentions that two full grown badger males will fight if stuck together for too long.
That would be something to see, but the point of this topic would be for more specific things like certain armies or characters.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Feles

Badrang and Cluny
honestly surprised no one said this one yet

I think they have about equal numbers in their hordes and both proved efficient generals...so
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

The Skarzs

However, Cluny was described as being very large, so he may have outsized Badrang, and from the books Cluny appears to be much more the fighter than Badrang.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Much as I like his character, Badrang never appeared to have much combat experience. As a corsair, that may have been a different matter, but sea fighting strategies and land fighting strategies are completely different. Badrang was used to capturing slaves with little or no resistance. When catching escaped slaves he was cunning and it usually worked but catching slaves and fighting an army are different. He was smart and he could hold his own in a tactical battle, but he mos likely had assistance from his captains.

As for his one-on-one fighting skills, I'd say Cluny would win. Badrang is the kind of opponent that goes for brute strenght, which, believe me he had enough of. As exhibited when fighting Felldoh, he is weak against faster, smaller opponents. While Cluny isn't that fast or small he generally has much more prowess and uses his strength in a useful way. However, Cluny doesn't always fight his battles himself, and it's showed that he usually gets his way indirectly, because in Redwall it is said that he "Collapsed the mine," or "chased a dog into an opposing village." But, that could stand to show his better tactics in battle.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Vilu Daskar

I'd Skor Axehound and Finnbarr Galedeep would have a great fight.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

rrrrr

That would be interesting. I think they would be about equal in strength.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Hickory

Skor Axehoudn is used to fighting skimpy vermin (exception of Razzid) while Finnbarr is a total loner and is hinted to have fought some pretty tough vermin.

But it's just a theory. A game theory.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

From what we've seen, Finnbarr has also tanked more serious wounds than Skor, so resistance would go more toward Finnbarr. However, Skor uses an axe, which seems to be a more powerfully hitting weapon, so any hits Galedeep would take would be devastating. In addition to that, Finnbarr has only one eye, which is a major disadvantage in battle.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

I was thinking if Skor got a good hit on one of Finnbarr's swords it might break.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

The Skarzs

Not necessarily. First off, if you hit a well-made sword on the side with an axe, the sword will bend, even if it is held stationary by some jig. Hit on the edge in the same circumstance, it may fracture, but will probably not break all the way through. That is with a wood-cutting axe swung at full power.
  In a fight, full power strikes are both unnecessary and dangerous to the striker, since they take time to build up to, which allows smaller, equally harming strikes to be given. With a war axe, which is very thin compared to wood axes, you cannot get the full weight of a wood axe, so the power is lessened. In addition to that, they are made light on purpose because they require quick usage in battle, contrary to video games and fantastical ideas that war axes are massive, heavy things that are meant to be used by huge monsters of fighters because they're the only ones who can use them. In reality, they must be light in order to be used effectively.
  Not only is a war axe incapable of the heavy hitting that a wood axe can deal, but the person with a sword is not holding it out to the side of them like it's in a vice; rather, they have their sword facing their opponent, which doesn't allow for a downward hit. All blows will be glanced off to the sides. Another reason why the sword wouldn't break is because a fighter's arm is not an inanimate object meant to hold something completely still; it will move. Tell someone to hold a stick out straight to the side of them and hit it with another stick. Know what will happen? Their arm will move downward with the force, and most of the downward energy went to the pivots in their arm, not allowing for any possibility of breaking the weapon.
  Now let's focus on if Skor did try a foolish move like trying to break Finnbarr's sword.
  Skor would know that in order to break the sword, a lot of force would have to go behind his blow. (Never mind the fact that a seasoned fighter would never try this.) Even if Galedeep were to hold one blade out straight, it would not be broken, and Skor would have his axe buried in the ground. Even if Finnbarr didn't have two swords, he would be able to recover from this attack MUCH faster than Skor, and the Rogue Crew leader would be down for the count.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

Well one can certainly tell Skarzs knows what he's talking about,

On the flipside though Axehound was said to have a round shield, probably like a Viking's shield. Such a piece of equipment would be very effective against a curving sword, curved swords like claymores (I believe that's what Galedeep used) are ineffective in thrusts and used more for cutting and slicing then stabbing. Such blows take a small amount of time to wind up and with that time Axehound could easily bring his shield into play. With Galedeep unable to land a blow without going around, over or under the shield Axehound can bully forward and deal some serious damage with his war axe. Not only that but he can circle to Galedeep's weak side (His bad eye) and force Galedeep to face him up front instead of trying to get around the shield.

I see this fight ending in Axehound's favor.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on August 18, 2015, 05:59:50 PM

Well one can certainly tell Skarzs knows what he's talking about,
*Bows.*

I know in the illustration of The Rogue Crew that is showed Skor I believe it was with a double-bitted axe. That would imply that it requires two paws to use. However, it has been quite a while since I've read the book, so I can't remember.

But yes, with a shield it would be more difficult.

Now this is interesting, because it's one of those fights that we would have to see in order to find an outcome; truly a fight of a century! ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 18, 2015, 05:25:44 PM
Not necessarily. First off, if you hit a well-made sword on the side with an axe, the sword will bend, even if it is held stationary by some jig. Hit on the edge in the same circumstance, it may fracture, but will probably not break all the way through. That is with a wood-cutting axe swung at full power.
  In a fight, full power strikes are both unnecessary and dangerous to the striker, since they take time to build up to, which allows smaller, equally harming strikes to be given. With a war axe, which is very thin compared to wood axes, you cannot get the full weight of a wood axe, so the power is lessened. In addition to that, they are made light on purpose because they require quick usage in battle, contrary to video games and fantastical ideas that war axes are massive, heavy things that are meant to be used by huge monsters of fighters because they're the only ones who can use them. In reality, they must be light in order to be used effectively.
  Not only is a war axe incapable of the heavy hitting that a wood axe can deal, but the person with a sword is not holding it out to the side of them like it's in a vice; rather, they have their sword facing their opponent, which doesn't allow for a downward hit. All blows will be glanced off to the sides. Another reason why the sword wouldn't break is because a fighter's arm is not an inanimate object meant to hold something completely still; it will move. Tell someone to hold a stick out straight to the side of them and hit it with another stick. Know what will happen? Their arm will move downward with the force, and most of the downward energy went to the pivots in their arm, not allowing for any possibility of breaking the weapon.
  Now let's focus on if Skor did try a foolish move like trying to break Finnbarr's sword.
  Skor would know that in order to break the sword, a lot of force would have to go behind his blow. (Never mind the fact that a seasoned fighter would never try this.) Even if Galedeep were to hold one blade out straight, it would not be broken, and Skor would have his axe buried in the ground. Even if Finnbarr didn't have two swords, he would be able to recover from this attack MUCH faster than Skor, and the Rogue Crew leader would be down for the count.
Skor does have a huge axe "In one paw he carried a huge double-headed battleaxe, which any normal beast would have trouble lifting." and I think he might try to break Finnbarr's sword after they had been fighting for a while because the book implies he has low stamina. 

The Skarzs

Finnbarr clearly showed that he doesn't need a weapon to kill a beast, though. And why a person would try to break their enemy's weapon is foolish, when the point is to the past the weapon and into the body, not through it, which will also damage your own weapon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.