News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Marvel (Comics, Movies, TV Shows)

Started by Søren, December 19, 2014, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Delthion

Ah. I thought there was a pun between "shippin'" and "lowkey".
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Hickory

I've been thinking about making this reply for a little bit, I figured there would be no harm in it. (There's also nowhere else to put it.)

There's been a lot of discussion in the MCU community (jokes or otherwise...) about Stucky (Steve and Bucky Barnes), and while I agree with most that the ship will never officially sail and Marvel will probably never do something like (not with leads, anyway) I do think it's cute and certainly funny to look at. However improbable it may be, it's still an interesting fantasy to indulge in.

A piece of (safe) fanart
[close]
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

Indeed.

I prefer Bruce and Tony though. That's like the only MCU ship I have.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

.________.
Ya'll are weird.
Can't bros just be bros? Even in fandoms?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Can't men and women just be friends?

Yes, of course they can, but that won't stop people from shipping.

Same rules apply here.

Jukka the Sling

Hey, I ship Stucky!  ...As friends.  Pretty much the same way I ship Romanogers.

I just think the whole slash fandom subculture is weird and out of control.  (Actually, so is a lot of the general shipper element of fandom.)  The Russos and Chris Evans have all said that Stucky wasn't what they were going for.  Civil War went out of its way to set up Staron and make sure everyone knew that Steve and Bucky are platonic friends.  Of course, that still didn't stop some rabid Stucky Tumblrites from hating on Sharon (and Emily VanCamp) because she got in the way of their nonexistent ship.  (I'm rather upset about that.  Like, how dare you insult an actress for something out of her control.)

I dunno.  I guess I just think slash in general is kinda silly, 'cause 99% of the time these are canonically straight characters in canon relationships, and crazy fangirls decide to ship them with other guys just 'cause they think it's hawt.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Unfortunately, as Jet said. . .

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 16, 2017, 06:38:41 AM
but that won't stop people from shipping.

Same rules apply here.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

*Pokes head on thread* Can I say something? And not get in an argument?

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 16, 2017, 05:16:18 PM
I dunno.  I guess I just think slash in general is kinda silly, 'cause 99% of the time these are canonically straight characters in canon relationships, and crazy fangirls decide to ship them with other guys just 'cause they think it's hawt.

I don't ship gay ships that aren't canon because it's "hawt" I shop them because the characters are soooo cute with each other. Or I ship them because I don't like another member of the ship or so on. Not all of us are crazy mindless fans who are text-speechers and have no respect at all for the author/movie/whatever.
Also gay ships are usually better.

Rusvul

I don't think shipping canonically straight characters with each other is any weirder than shipping opposite-sex or gay characters who canonically not attracted to each other. Personally, it all strikes me as rather strange, but... whatever floats your goat, I'm not gonna judge. :P

Jetthebinturong

Slash fiction in general is indeed weird, but I find ships like Bucky/Natasha to have far less evidence and reasoning behind them than ships like Stucky. Even Wanda/Vision, which is canon, has yet to actually... attempt to build romantic chemistry? Likewise with Sharon and Steve.

This weird obsession with romance in media has become so bad that in some stories, creators just pair up any man and woman together that they find even if the pairings make absolutely no sense (*Cough*Throne of Glass*cough*). Creators seem to believe romantic fulfilment is the be all, end all of happiness, and that aggravates me.

And I mean, slash goes both ways. Gay characters are often paired with characters of the opposite sex.

Also I operate on a policy of all characters are bi until proven otherwise. More options that way.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 16, 2017, 08:02:38 PM
Slash fiction in general is indeed weird, but I find ships like Bucky/Natasha to have far less evidence and reasoning behind them than ships like Stucky. Even Wanda/Vision, which is canon, has yet to actually... attempt to build romantic chemistry? Likewise with Sharon and Steve.
The Vision Wanda thing is odd because he is a machine. . .. Bit messy.
And I don't even know where Bucky Natasha came from :p
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Cornflower MM on August 16, 2017, 05:42:07 PM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 16, 2017, 05:16:18 PM
I don't ship gay ships that aren't canon because it's "hawt" I shop them because the characters are soooo cute with each other. Or I ship them because I don't like another member of the ship or so on. Not all of us are crazy mindless fans who are text-speechers and have no respect at all for the author/movie/whatever.
Okay.  Most of the time, though, from what I've noticed and read, girls gravitate towards shipping slash because the guys are hot and they just love the idea of them getting together.  *shrug*  Some guys are the same with femslash.

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 16, 2017, 08:02:38 PM
I agree that Staron could've been built up a lot better, but I think they're actually doing a good job with ScarletVision, what with all the little moments and longing looks they shared in Civil War.  They're really cute.  I'm excited that Infinity War is gonna have them finally get together.

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 16, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
The Vision Wanda thing is odd because he is a machine. . .. Bit messy.
And I don't even know where Bucky Natasha came from :p
Vision's pretty much alive, though, thanks to the Mind Stone.

Bucky/Nat is comics canon, and a few hints/easter eggs have possibly been dropped in the movies, depending on one's point of view. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Ashleg

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.