Species You Wish Had Done More

Started by JangoCoolguy, January 28, 2015, 09:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 02, 2015, 12:39:30 AM
Bats certainly seem more suited for supporting characters, like moles, but they could have been able to hold bigger roles. For example, ever heard of "bats in the belfry" (bell tower)? Why didn't they ever have bats roost in the bell tower? With such creatures living in such an area, that would have been a good advantage for the abbey dwellers. If bats had taken residence somewhere in the abbey, they would have come into contact with somebeast eventually, and I can see that adding an interesting ingredient into the books.
That was supossed to be the part that the Sparra played (and they did it magnificently, at least for the two books they starred in.)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Skyblade on June 15, 2015, 03:46:04 PM
Sharks ;D

Actually, seeing more of the marine beasts in general would have been cool.

That would be actually very interesting to see (I can totally see them as a real danger in some of the books and the TV Series could have really used them in its third season).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Banya

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 15, 2015, 09:51:14 PM
That would be actually very interesting to see (I can totally see them as a real danger in some of the books and the TV Series could have really used them in its third season).
The events of Martin the Warrior took place on land.  The only marine animal in the book was the giant fish that began playing with the boat in which Martin, Rose, Grumm, Felldoh, and Brome were escaping, and it was the fish's antics that cause the group to abandon ship and become separated.  That scene was included in the TV series.  There were many dissimilarities between the book and season 3 of the TV show, but the course of the show did stay true to the original source.  Marine animals were useless and unnecessary in the book, as the battle and all events following that scene took place on land, with the short-lived exception of the group traveling by river on the otters' raft and in the shrews' longboats.
In other books in the series, however, marine animals do take a more active role.  Seals, particularly, have toyed with vermin ships, as the Whoomers in The Rogue Crew did, and have led the protagonists out of tight spots, as Hawm and his seals did in Pearls of Lutra.  I mentioned them earlier in this thread as the species I wish had made a greater presence in the books.

Luftwaffles

There was also a time where they stole a boat from the pirates and navigated a few miles, but I don't remember how it ends, how it connected to the story or if they encountered any beast (please don't tell me about it, I would like a reason to re-watch the series).

Those are still enough water scenarios to use sharks, though!
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Banya

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 16, 2015, 11:10:35 PM
There was also a time where they stole a boat from the pirates and navigated a few miles, but I don't remember how it ends, how it connected to the story or if they encountered any beast (please don't tell me about it, I would like a reason to re-watch the series).

That scene to which you're referring ends with the scene I described above.  This is the one deep-water scenario in the book, and the fish is the antagonist in that scene.

rrrrr

Quote from: Banya on June 18, 2015, 05:14:39 PM
Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on June 16, 2015, 11:10:35 PM

That scene to which you're referring ends with the scene I described above.  This is the one deep-water scenario in the book, and the fish is the antagonist in that scene.

In the second book of Luke it's all on water.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Hickory

While scene s including deep sea animals makes for a good story, it's not fun to use it all the time unless you want readers anticipating a "surprise" monster attack. Sea monsters are supposed to be unpredictable. Also, in Luke, having a crippling sea monster attack on Luke's ship would make one too many scenes of them repairing the ship.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Izeroth

I wish they would have introduced more unique vermin tribes, such as the Flitchaye and the tree rats.

rexhyuga

They make a lot of jokes and puns to species we never see.
I would of liked to see some deer and dogs.
Quote from: NarratorIn a world, where floating cupcakes rule over all, one stallion and his magic bucket is our only salvation!

SoranMBane

Quote from: rexhyuga on June 28, 2015, 12:04:29 AM
They make a lot of jokes and puns to species we never see.
I would of liked to see some deer and dogs.

Well, given the way this series seems to use various animals as stand-ins for more typical fantasy creatures (large adders seem to have basically the same role as dragons, and we even get a "hydra" of sorts in Triss), I could easily imagine deer acting as the Redwall world's equivalent of a unicorn; rare, elusive, wise, and vaguely mystical. It's actually a concept I was planning to explore a bit if I'd gotten much farther with a fanfic I started a while back.

rexhyuga

Oh how neat. that's a cool headcannon.
Quote from: NarratorIn a world, where floating cupcakes rule over all, one stallion and his magic bucket is our only salvation!

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: SoranMBane on June 28, 2015, 12:40:33 AM
[Well, given the way this series seems to use various animals as stand-ins for more typical fantasy creatures (large adders seem to have basically the same role as dragons, and we even get a "hydra" of sorts in Triss), I could easily imagine deer acting as the Redwall world's equivalent of a unicorn; rare, elusive, wise, and vaguely mystical. It's actually a concept I was planning to explore a bit if I'd gotten much farther with a fanfic I started a while back.

Now that sounds cool!  ;D