Those we Redwallers call 'Mary-Sues.'

Started by Cornflower MM, June 30, 2015, 02:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

Because being a slave to a pirate is so much better. As a matter of fact, that actually saved her, so that goes in huge favor of her being a Sue.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Skyblade

Can we also talk about Gary-Stus in this thread? There's got to be too-perfect male characters as well.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

You mean like Felldoh? He was a Gary Stu. Bromm was less of one.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

I don't know, Felldoh had some anger issues that got other creatures killed and himself. He tried attacking a fortress with the Fur and Freedom Fighters which resulted in the death of Juniper or Yarrow, I can't remember which. Then he goes and fights Badrang one on one which results in him getting killed. To top it off because of him the Fur and Freedom Fighters rush it to save him and are almost slaughtered for it.

But you know who were a Gary Stus, most of the otter skippers.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Blaggut

Sues aren't as bad as Mini Deepcoilers!

*looks fearfully around for mini deepcoilers*
~Just a soft space boi~

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Skyblade on September 16, 2015, 05:12:36 AM
Can we also talk about Gary-Stus in this thread? There's got to be too-perfect male characters as well.

Sure, knock yourself out. I was thinking of making a new topic after I've read some more of the Redwall books, but that's what editing's for.

Skyblade

I don't think Felldoh was a Gary Stu because of what Sand said. Felldoh's flaw even got him killed. To me, he actually comes off as one of the least Gary-Stu characters.

How is Brome a Gary-Stu?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

He's good at healing. And, whether Jaques was being lazy or what, he literally went into battle as a medic without any prior training. He snuck into Marshank with absolutely no issue and got all the slave out of the fort. That's what, 30 beasts? His only flaw is battle sickness - and that's really common in the series. I could bother to get MTW off my shelf but don't want to.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

I have to say, Brome is about as far from a Gary Stu as I can think of. He sucks at fighting, he always gets into trouble, he's usually not that smart...

As for being good at healing, he never magically heals someone, putting on bandages hardly needs that much training, and just because it isn't shown doesn't mean it didn't happen.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on October 14, 2015, 12:29:24 PM
He's good at healing. And, whether Jaques was being lazy or what, he literally went into battle as a medic without any prior training. He snuck into Marshank with absolutely no issue and got all the slave out of the fort. That's what, 30 beasts? His only flaw is battle sickness - and that's really common in the series. I could bother to get MTW off my shelf but don't want to.
Like Wylder said, he sucks at fighting, and that being said, since he wanted to help, the best way would be trying to help the wounded. I think he said in the book that he wasn't sure exactly what else to do except slap a bandage over a bleeding wound, and that it was frustrating.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.