Animal to Size Ratio

Started by Blaggut, September 16, 2015, 06:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

So, if you guys wanna make more humanoid, furry-ish characters post size ratios here. I'll post some as well.

(By size ratio I mean animal height and size converted to human size. Hedgehogs at 5', otters and squirrels at 6', Badgers at 17-18'.)
~Just a soft space boi~

LT Sandpaw

I always thought of Mice and shrews along with moles at the four foot range, with squirrels, hedgehogs, and voles being about the same height at five feet. Then there would be the otters, hares, and cats at about five and a half to six feet. Then badgers averaging around nine feet.

That's the way I always imagined it for Woodlanders anyway.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Blaggut

I imagine rats at being a head shorter then humans, with weasels and stoats being a head taller, with foxes at 6'
~Just a soft space boi~

Vilu Daskar

Woodlanders around 5ft, Vermin around 5.5ft, otters around 5.5ft, hares around 6ft, and badger anywhere between 7ft and 10ft.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Damug Warfang

I imagine it as in different "tiers" of animal sizes.

At around 5 feet are moles, shrews, voles, mice, and rats/

6 feet: Ferrets, weasels, stoats, hedgehogs, squirrels, otters.

7 feet: foxes, maybe some big otters and hedgehogs...

8 feet:wildcats and badgers.  The only reason you might get the impression badgers are stronger and bigger is because they get Bloodwrath.
Look behind you...

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

The Skarzs

It's a bit skewed how to think of it, and it really depends upon the reader. I know that some people have imagined the animals as being on all fours, though I have never thought of them that way.
The height of squirrels, mice, and moles is rather unclear. While it is understandable why some would imagine moles to be smaller than mice because of their persona, in reality moles can be considerably larger than mice. Squirrels and mice appear to be around the same size in the books, but, as with moles, squirrels are obviously much larger. Rats can get very big in real life, and because of that variety the sizes are up to interpretation.

Quote from: Damug Warfang on November 06, 2015, 11:11:02 PM
At around 5 feet are moles, mice, and rats/

6 feet: Ferrets, weasels, stoats, voles, hedgehogs, squirrels, otters.
Hold up. . . voles are pretty much the same size as mice. Not sure why you would put voles at 6ft and rats at 5.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Damug Warfang

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 07, 2015, 05:45:11 PM
It's a bit skewed how to think of it, and it really depends upon the reader. I know that some people have imagined the animals as being on all fours, though I have never thought of them that way.
The height of squirrels, mice, and moles is rather unclear. While it is understandable why some would imagine moles to be smaller than mice because of their persona, in reality moles can be considerably larger than mice. Squirrels and mice appear to be around the same size in the books, but, as with moles, squirrels are obviously much larger. Rats can get very big in real life, and because of that variety the sizes are up to interpretation.

Quote from: Damug Warfang on November 06, 2015, 11:11:02 PM
At around 5 feet are moles, mice, and rats/

6 feet: Ferrets, weasels, stoats, voles, hedgehogs, squirrels, otters.
Hold up. . . voles are pretty much the same size as mice. Not sure why you would put voles at 6ft and rats at 5.

Well, we do see some big rats in the series, like gloomer, me and cluny, but most of the time rats are about the same size as moles and bigger-sized mice. 
Look behind you...

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

The Skarzs

I have never seen a rat the same size as a mouse unless it was not fully grown, nor have I heard of a vole larger than a rat. :P That's what I'm saying, I think the two should be switched in your list.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

It's also fair to say that Cluny wasn't a native British rat, he came from a ship. Or the sewer.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Damug Warfang

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 08, 2015, 03:28:39 PM
I have never seen a rat the same size as a mouse unless it was not fully grown, nor have I heard of a vole larger than a rat. :P That's what I'm saying, I think the two should be switched in your list.

You have a point, but you haven't see n everything.  Also, rats are definetely not the same size as ferrets.  I will, however, take your advice and move voles down.  Thanks!

I forget shrews.
Look behind you...

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Hickory

Well, the pygmy shrews are incredibly tiny. Normal shres are slightly smaller than a mouse.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

Left to right:
(Top)
shrew, mouse, mole, vole, squirrel, hedgehog, hare, otter, badger,
(Bottom)
weasel, rat, stoat, ferret, marten, cat, fox, wolverine.

This is always how I pictured it except swap the wildcat and the fox.
I did not draw this, by the way. :P

Jewel Thief

I always pictured both wolverines and wildcats being much taller, actually.
Kinda wish we could've seen how well Gulo would fare against a full-grown badger...
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those silver pistols?
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those arrowheads?

The Skarzs

Quote from: Ashleg on November 10, 2015, 01:24:34 PM

Left to right:
(Top)
shrew, mouse, mole, vole, squirrel, hedgehog, hare, otter, badger,
(Bottom)
weasel, rat, stoat, ferret, marten, cat, fox, wolverine.

This is always how I pictured it except swap the wildcat and the fox.
I did not draw this, by the way. :P
That's actually pretty accurate in the order in my mind, but I feel like the little guys should be a mite bigger.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

^^Yeah, pretty much. Although I would make the wildcat almost the same size as a badger (but not quite). They are about equal in power (though badgers have more raw strength, wildcats more agility).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.