News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Rick Riordan Thread

Started by Jetthebinturong, December 15, 2015, 06:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

The thread for discussing the works of Rick Riordan.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

BlueRose

Ok, so Magnus Chase! OMiGosh! It was really cool. I learned a lot about Norse mythology that I'd not known before.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Jetthebinturong

Magnus Chase was awesome indeed, though I learned essentially nothing since I'm obsessed with Norse mythology. I learnt the thing about Freyja and the dwarves which was weird, and I learnt about the Einherji but other than that I knew it all already.

One thing that bugged me about the book was the use of the anglicised versions of the Norse names, though the only time it really bugged me was with "Fenris" who should be named Fenrir if we're going by the proper Norse. I was hoping that'd be a difference between the American and English versions like the Gaia/Gaea thing but unfortunately not. I wish Hati and Skoll had been namedropped (the two sons of Fenrir destined to swallow the moon and sun gods respectively and most likely the killers of Magnus' mother).

Other than that I'd say it was perfect.

BlueRose

Norse mythology has never been my favorite, but it's been fun to learn stuff.

Yeah, the anglicized names were kinda annoying. I didn't mind as much as I might, though.... *shrug* Maybe Hati and Skoll will show up later on. They can't stuff too many gods/villains/etc into one book, otherwise it might break the suspension of disbelief.

I loved that Annabeth showed up. She's one of my favorite characters from Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Cornflower MM

You two are making me jealous. I even saw Magnus Chase a few weeks ago, held a copy. . . . . But my mom made me put the book down and dragged me off.

Hickory

Revive cause Rick Riordsn and his awesome books.

Well the only book I haven't read is the new Apollo one.

@Jet: I'm pretty sure that he American versions of Magnus Chase used the proper names, but I'm not completely sure.

Meh.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

Well every review I've seen of it has called Fenrir "Fenris" and Freyr "Frey."

Trials of Apollo is brilliant. It covers a lot of plot holes very cleverly so if Riordan wasn't always planning it, then he's an expert at using plot holes to his advantage.

Hickory

Ok, I guess they did change the names, since my copy said Frey.

Problem solved.

Jetthebinturong

Wait what?

To be clear: Frey and Fenris are incorrect; they are the anglicized versions of the names Freyr and Fenrir. Other names this applies to is Freya, who is properly called Freyja and Jormungand, who is properly called Jormungandr.

Leatho Shellhound

Quote from: Cornflower MM on December 16, 2015, 01:15:07 AM
You two are making me jealous. I even saw Magnus Chase a few weeks ago, held a copy. . . . . But my mom made me put the book down and dragged me off.

I was in B&N book store on the release day of the new Ranger's Apprentice book, and it just so happened to also be the MC SoS release day too.... needless to say I picked that up too. It's nice when you have a job to pay for random book buying urges....
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Maudie

I had to walk past a 75% off copy of The Trials Of Apollo last week. Broke my heart. :'( ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Hickory

You know, I've been dwelling on this for quite a while and... I think I'm becoming dissatisfied about Rick's writing. Well, not so much dissatisfied as no longer a fan of. The first two Greek (and then Roman) series were great, and the Kane Chronicles were also a good series, but I didn't enjoy Magnus Chase as much in hindsight. While reading, I liked it a lot, but Rick's style is super predictable and also really, really universally the same. Like, there's only so many times popular jokes can be applied to chapter titles. Also, I woke up to the rapidly cliche cliffhanger chapter intros which are, like, Rick's signature style. Heroes of Olympus was probably the most mature series (seconded by Kane Chronicles and then the original books) but Magnus Chase had more than enough jokes littered throughout the chapters that weren't needed. Sure, it had its mature moments, but it just didn't appeal to me. Another aspect that I'm tired of is the first book of the series. Magnus Chase literally had the same ending: All villains vanguished for now, the big villain (Fenrir) is encountered but not released (wait until he breaks the ropes in the second book!) and a secondary antagonist (the fire dude) is defeated, only for him to come back later in the series (third book maybe?) to give Fenrir the edge to (temporarily) capture the heroes.

So yeah. I get that this is aimed for a slightly younger audience, but I'm not that far away from the target age group, so.... I can still appreciate his earlier writing, but his recent stuff just isn't my piece of cake.

Jetthebinturong

I'd very much suggest reading the Trials of Apollo. It has the potential to be his most mature series from the way it's going. And it's such a breath of fresh air to read from the perspective of one of the gods. It's also not so predictable as the other series.

Magnus Chase is probably not going to be as predictable as it seems. Norse mythology is rarely straightforward.

If Fenrir breaks out in the second book then the world will end. He literally cannot be allowed to break his bonds or Ragnarok begins and once begun, it can't be stopped. Ragnarok will wipe out all of humanity bar two people. I think this series is going to be all about preventing/postponing Ragnarok, as that's really all it could be.

I also don't see any reason why Surtr wouldn't reappear. He's an important player.

Cornflower MM

GUYS! Did you know that the second Magnus Chase is out?! I saw it in Walmart a few days ago!

Jetthebinturong