Shoutbox Feedback

Started by James Gryphon, February 07, 2016, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

I like the shout box because you can talk about utterly random things without creating a new topic. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

rachel25

I like the shoutbox because you can have conversation with everybody on the forum whilst doing other things on the site without having to open another tap to check it.

Søren

I like the notifications on the PMs, how does it work with boards?

I'm retired from the forum

James Gryphon

Right now, it doesn't. People thought it was way too annoying with how frequently it came up, so it's only set to notify you on PMs.
« Subject to editing »

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Skarzs on February 07, 2016, 10:33:01 PM
Part of the problem I have with the shout box is how much activity is used on it, instead of on the boards, especially where the series this forum is dedicated to should be discussed. Sure, we can get burnt out on it, but I feel the lightning-response immediate socializing is taking away from the series we love and making us more like the world around us, something Brian did not intend with his books.
With these forums, it was as if I could escape into a world of imagination, every board was an adventure where we could explore the different sides of people without the slang and lack of attention in real life, as well as a place where we could be crazy. (The last part certainly has no trouble here, though. . .) The shout box is like a school cafeteria, dozens of people spewing conversations loudly as they frantically get as much of their socializing done in their off time as quickly as possible, instead of quality interactions over longer periods.

In short, the shout box to me is like introducing the phone to the Middle Ages.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Even though the shoutbox is very convenient, there isn't much activity in the forum.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Fatch of Southsward

No, don't kill it! The shoutbox made it really easy to get to know people and assimilate (I think that's the word I'm looking for!  :P)

Jumping in and posting in other people's topics can cause some hesitation at first, because you don't want to be intrusive. Also, most of the threads are dedicated to specific topics, and you can't just jump into everything!

I can't be involved in any of the Role Plays already going, I can't post about topics I don't know anything about, and a lot of things will take me awhile to get used to. For example there's that "Secret Forum Crush thread". I don't feel quite comfortable posting in there yet, because I'm not used to everyone, and it would just be weird since a lot of the members are like a tight knit family and really used to one another. It would be like sitting at a lunch table with complete strangers and asking them about their dating lives. You could do it, but why would you?

On the other hand, the shoutbox doesn't have any rules, and anyone can post there at anytime. I got to know a lot of members on there that I haven't encountered in a single topic yet. It's easy, quick, simple and not permanently there for everyone to see, so there's no worries! (Hakuna Matata?   :o ;))

#SaveTheShoutBox2016
~ The best way to pay for a happy moment is to enjoy it ~

LT Sandpaw

I'm going to have to argue for the shoutbox, it's a useful tool and as long as certain guidelines are followed then it doesn't ever have a negative effect on anyone. Not to mention if the shoutbox becomes annoying at any point it can be closed with a single click. ;)

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Søren

Of course, I argue in favor of the shout box. I always thought it was a good idea, especially for mobile users who don't want to constantly pinch and zoom across the forum. There's definitely some guidelines that should be put in place (restrictions on the things that are talked about, as some (myself included), have just spammed it before with no remorse, or have used it for less the stellar conversations.)
But overall, I think he shout box is exceptionally useful.

The Skarzs

Even the CELLARS are getting less activity, and they've always been the most active next to Forum Games. Part of it has to do with people just lurking about on the forum instead of doing anything, but I still feel like more and more attention is being directed at the shout box. It's discouraging.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

I'm all for the Shoutbix. Yesterday, I just went out and proclaimed my joy for the new Skyrim remaster, instead of making a while topic. Now, for things much more personal and such, I'll make a topic, but having something easy to start a conversation in, it just helps with the flow of useful and non useful things. Also, you can't have that quick easy communication on just posts. It's certainly helped me learn and talk to others instead of having to read though pages and pages of cellar lore just to understand the conversation. Please keep it James, for all the sad and lonely Introverts.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

Plus, you're able to respond quickly. Otherwise, especially in the Cellars, you have to sit...wait...stare at Who's Online until you FINALLY see the posting in your topic... wait... and then the cycle stars all over again for the other person. Communication is much more fluid in the shout box, which in my opinion, is a good thing.
@Skarzs Be that as it may, it's part of the evolution of the forum I think. Popular Forum Games distracts attention away from Forum Games, because it gets much more traffic per topic. Secret Hideout have changed the way the Cellars are used. The Shout Box, in my opinion, is just another step in the evolution of the forum.
¯\_(?)_/¯

The Skarzs

This evolution seems to be leading up to complete disregard for the forum part and instead using it as a form of Twitter or Snapchat.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

Don't really see how it becomes Snapchat, but think. The forum used to be just Redwall related. Then, they had more members join and more odd and random online things, so the cellars grew. Afterwards, RPs started drifting away from the normal Redwall formula and added Magic, New species, etc. Fanfics started to do the same. Soon, by the time me and you joined, things started to become a bit off balanced with the actual Redwall part slowly being diminished. By the time it went down, hardly anyone was talking in Character Discussion. It seems as the shoutbox is extending from the Cellar craze by just giving it a new life. A community grew around Redwall, and, well, you can't keep asking and theorizing forever. Fun is to be had if you want people to stick around, so that's what the provided. The community liked and grew to it and soon slowly abandoned what started it all. So really, this is already a problem for the "Only Redwall" group of people, with the Shoutbox just fighting against them.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on June 14, 2016, 05:28:26 AM
Don't really see how it becomes Snapchat, but think. The forum used to be just Redwall related. Then, they had more members join and more odd and random online things, so the cellars grew. Afterwards, RPs started drifting away from the normal Redwall formula and added Magic, New species, etc. Fanfics started to do the same. Soon, by the time me and you joined, things started to become a bit off balanced with the actual Redwall part slowly being diminished. By the time it went down, hardly anyone was talking in Character Discussion. It seems as the shoutbox is extending from the Cellar craze by just giving it a new life. A community grew around Redwall, and, well, you can't keep asking and theorizing forever. Fun is to be had if you want people to stick around, so that's what the provided. The community liked and grew to it and soon slowly abandoned what started it all. So really, this is already a problem for the "Only Redwall" group of people, with the Shoutbox just fighting against them.
That's true. The boards already had this problem, the shoutbox didn't cause them.

Jetthebinturong

I agree with Skarzs. Besides, I've always hated group chat features because they're confusing and random and make no sense.

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan