News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Hamilton

Started by Ashleg, April 11, 2016, 11:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

I don't think it was right to drag politics into a show like that.  I know they did it at the very end, but it seems really inappropriate.  *shrug*
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

It's their show, they can do what they like.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Groddil

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on November 20, 2016, 01:10:04 AM
However... I don't appreciate how they treated the future VPOTUS. I don't mean to start a fight because the word politic can shut down this forum for a few days. Just uncalled for.

It was totally called for. Any disrespect towards Mike Pence is totally deserved.

James Gryphon

Well, it is their stage and their venue, and what they had to say seemed to be stated pretty respectfully. It acknowledged him as an authority figure and politely asked for him to consider their message. The only point I might disagree on, looking at it from that angle, was that it seemed they might have insinuated that he might not have everyone's best interests in mind as it is, but I suppose whether you interpret it that way is a matter of perspective.

As far as whether it's professional, it's true that a lot of people might disagree with it. That said, when you're an artist up there on the platform and have formed that connection between you and a spectator, and you feel that a great good can be done by making an appeal at that moment which could potentially help a lot of people, well, you have to weigh that in the balance against treating everyone equally.

Besides, part of the social contract someone signs when they decide to hold a public office is that they're at the people's call day and night. The sheer gravitas of the position means that their life is going to be different. They can never really expect to be treated 'like anyone else', although it's nice on the occasions that it does happen. It isn't even unusual for the host to acknowledge the presence of a major public official at a show or event that's taking place. I think the only thing that's even making this controversial is that they didn't provide adulation. If they had acknowledged the vice-president-elect was there and asked everyone to clap for him and sing the national anthem, somehow I doubt anybody would have complained.

People can reasonably disagree about the 'professionalism' of doing something like this, but it was certainly their right to deliver such a statement. Regarding the statement itself, they apparently felt it was for a worthy cause, and they seemed to basically honor the man and his office when they delivered it. So, I'm not upset about it.
« Subject to editing »

Dannflor

Quote from: Groddil on November 21, 2016, 03:36:09 AM
However... I don't appreciate how they treated the future VPOTUS. I don't mean to start a fight because the word politic can shut down this forum for a few days. Just uncalled for.

It was totally called for. Any disrespect towards Mike Pence is totally deserved.

Why? I kinda like Mike Pence...
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Ashleg

Hhhhhhhamilton.
This is about Hamilton.

Don't wanna have my thread shut down now do we.

Groddil

Quote from: Dannflor on November 21, 2016, 04:11:10 AM

@Dannflor:

Two words: Conversion Therapy.

Dannflor

Quote from: Groddil on November 21, 2016, 05:31:23 AM

Conversion too who exactly?

@Dannflor:

Groddil

Quote from: Dannflor on November 21, 2016, 06:44:13 AM
Quote from: Groddil on November 21, 2016, 05:31:23 AM

@Dannflor:

Conversion too who exactly?

*Ahem.* I don't want to copy from another topic or get this one locked, or have to talk about this any more than I have to, so I'll PM you.

LT Sandpaw

I've never seen Hamilton, or ever really heard about it. :P I actually thought ya'll were talking about Hamlet when I first saw the topic.

What's it about?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Groddil

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on November 21, 2016, 08:27:12 AM

I've never seen Hamilton, or ever really heard about it. :P I actually thought ya'll were talking about Hamlet when I first saw the topic.

What's it about?

Never seen it either, but...

Quote from: TvtropesThe musical follows the life of Alexander Hamilton, the United States' first Secretary of the Treasury. Beginning with his arrival in the United States (after writing his way out of his miserable, impoverished situation in the Caribbean), it tracks his rise to power through The American Revolution and early days of the U.S. government, and his inevitable fall. And it's all told through a blend of hip hop, R&B, pop, and contemporary show-tunes.

Dannflor

Yeah sorry ashleg...

Ashleg

You're good.

And yeah.
Sand, I first found out about it because the music is awesome.
And then the story seemed interesting.
So, 10/10.

Rosie Willowwater

Ashleg

I needed that, Rosie.