News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Brian Jacques Audiobooks

Started by Captain Tammo, April 28, 2016, 08:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

The audiobooks are voiced by a full cast. Some actors double or triple or quadruple or quintuple up on other roles. It's quite good and the majority of audiobooks have musical accompianaments.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

Darkenmal

The audiobooks are great. I listened to Mossflower last summer and despite one or two of the voices sounding slightly off from what I imagined them to be and some poor audio quality, it was a lot of fun. Brian Jacques was a great narrator as well as a writer.
"I closed my eyes, only to open them again. I did not know what to expect, but I was afraid of knowing the truth; the truth which my dreams have revealed..." - Swiftpaw, Lord of Salamandastron and the Defender of the Western Coast.

Matthias720

I own four of the audiobooks. Of those four, Rakkety Tam is my favorite. I have listened to others from my local library, but that was years ago.

The Skarzs

I've never listened to any audiobook of the series. I'm thinking of trying it out some time.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Skarzs on May 19, 2016, 10:41:53 PM
I've never listened to any audiobook of the series. I'm thinking of trying it out some time.
Do so.  I've listened to a few and they're seriously amazing.  I love the bits of music at the beginning of each chapter; it really sets the mood.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Captain Tammo

So I've got an extra credit on my Audible account and I want to get another Redwall book. I already have The Long Patrol and I've read Rakkety Tam three times already (it's a good one! I always felt that Rakkety Tam was a faster paced story than the others for no particular reason), so I want to revisit one that I haven't read in a while.

Any suggestions?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

James Gryphon

Mossflower? Martin the Warrior? Pearls of Lutra or Marlfox (those go perfectly with Long Patrol, too, so it'd help make a set).

Redwall itself might be old hat for you, but if not -- I don't know what the Audible recording of Redwall sounds like, but we have a cassette version of the full cast production and it's amazing. Everybody in the cast is just perfect for the job; Cluny has a great Spanish/Portugese accent, too. I highly recommend it, or similar versions. Look for the ones where Mr. Jacques himself narrated and I trust it'll be the highest quality.
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

The Audible recordings I've found for the Redwall series are all official recordings like the cassette tapes: Brian as narrator, songs, and a full cast & crew!

I really should give the first book another read-through. Although it's been ages since I read Marlfox. That one could be fun! Decisions, decisions... :D
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Matthias720

If you want a good audiobook version, I recommend High Rhulain or Rakkety Tam. Out of the ones I own, they are my favorites.

Cornflower MM

There's an audio of Rakkety Tam?! How did I not know this?! Thanks Matthias!

PanopticEmu

Quote from: Matthias720 on May 19, 2016, 09:46:31 PM
I own four of the audiobooks. Of those four, Rakkety Tam is my favorite. I have listened to others from my local library, but that was years ago.
As someone who has read all the books multiple times and listened several of the audiobooks, I have to agree with this wholeheartedly. Rakkety Tam was by far the best.
discord: PanopticEmu#0001

clunylooney

I haven't listened to the audiobooks, but I want to.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sailears

Funnily, I only own one of the audiobooks - which happens to be The Long Patrol. :D

But it's the multiple CD box and I dont have a CD player at the moment so will have to get one and rip it to other storage so I can listen to it again.

I also liked the songs of Redwall CD.

It's interesting to hear how he would presumably be thinking it in his head while writing - things like different creature accents and the ditties/songs/etc. Even things like a play on words between "hare" and "her" which I recall from somewhere in one of the books (but can't remember which one...), happens to work because of the similar pronunciation in Scouse.
My ears, how are you, wot!

Sebias of Redwall

I've listened to several of them, and I liked 'em. The songs and tunes fit it well, and BJ's narration is wonderful. Some of the characters' voices were a little off, but that's probably due to the fact that I had read the books first, thus had already decided in my mind what they sounded like to a degree.  :P
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!