The Name Tiria

Started by belle, September 11, 2016, 05:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Daskar

I've always pronounced it the way Sage does, I think that's how it's said in the audio book too. And no, the name doesn't irritate me.
When work gets overwhelming, remember that you are going to die. -A Coffee Cup

Be silent, or let thy words be more than silence.

Cheerful
Main Entry:   cheer·ful
Function: Adjective.
1 a : full of good spirits <a cheerful outlook> <cheerful obedience>

Ares saves not the brave man but the coward.

Skyblade

@belle

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself in this thread: http://www.loamhedgeabbey.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on September 12, 2016, 12:17:18 AM
Hey, Tiria is cool  8)

And it's pronounced Tur-ee-ah

I'm with Eul on this one^

Also, @Groddil, what are the negative connotations to that name?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Groddil

Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on September 14, 2016, 12:09:09 AM
Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on September 12, 2016, 12:17:18 AM
Hey, Tiria is cool  8)

And I think it's pronounced Tur-ee-ah

I'm with Eul on this one^ Apart from the pronunciation. :p

Also, @Groddil, what are the negative connotations to that name? I guess people could dislike the name purely because it brings to mind a certain. *Ahem.* Mary-Sue. Personally, I don't mind the name, but I dislike the character.

Wylder Treejumper

I feel that as far as names go, Tiria is one of the more beautiful ones I've heard. And I pronounce it T?r-?-? (teer-ee-uh).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

I'm also on team TEER-ee-uh. It's a beautiful name. There's a part in the books where her friends make wordplay of "Tiria's tiara," which doesn't sound nearly as fun with "Tur-ee-ah." I guess I'm also in the club of people who love the character, too. I love major female characters who fight and are easy for most other characters to get along with, and I don't care that she's mary sue-ish.

Wylder Treejumper

I agree, I did actually like Tiria. And while in her luck and combat abilities she was sue-ish, on the whole I found her humble, easygoing, and likeable. Some characters seem contrived, but Tiria seemed just like a nice real person who you'd like to know (and I have met some girls like her, few and far between though they are).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

alexandre

U are stressing way to much about the pronunciation, just enjoy the book.

Tsh-ir-iri-rayeaeu-elaliaaaaaa
:o
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Ashleg

I'm on the beginning of section two of her book now.
What's wrong with Tiria?
Does it get worse?

Hickory

She's contracted Mary Sueness.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Groddil

There is no cure other than a bullet to the brain. She's just so pefect it's annoying.

Ashleg

Hickory

Quote from: Groddil on October 31, 2016, 07:52:26 PM
There is no cure other than a bullet to the brain. She's just so perfect it's annoying.
A bullet.... or perhaps a slingstone.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

Kind of off topic but...
Slingstones.
I didn't used to think that they were dangerous enough to kill a beast but then in the later books everyone was like "OMG Slingstones!!1!-!1!"

So.
Can someone care to educate me on Slingstones?